Ruger Air Rifle Clearance Sale

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
pdubyoo
Posts in topic: 6

Ruger Air Rifle Clearance Sale

Post by pdubyoo »

Like most of you, as a kid, I had the standard Daisy BB gun and eventually the Crosman 10-pump .177 pellet gun. I wore mine out.

Lately, I've had the itch to get a high velocity pellet gun for rabbit/squirrel/bird hunting, and just plinking cans off the back fence. I have read several articles and reviews and kept coming back to a Ruger Air Hawk Elite .177 one-pump springer. It's a 1000 fps rifle with std pellets and I've even heard it's capable of 1200fps with competition pellets. It has a very nice wooden stock with a thumb relief, a blued barrel with a huge muzzle break built on, which functions as a handle for cocking. It comes equipped with a very nice springer air rifle-rated 3-9 x 40 scope. It weighs 9 lbs...nice heavy rifle. The reviews sold me, so I started searching for it.

Several places have it available online for $175-$199 plus shipping. I was in Sports Authority in League City today and found it on clearance sale for $139. Most Sports Authority stores have the sister gun...the Air Hawk for $109 (on sale this week), but not the Elite. I bought it and will be sighting it in tonight and having some plinking fun.

All this to say...that store in League City has 3 of the Elite rifles left at $139. Just FYI...if you do buy it, you'll want to get some heavy duty double-wide scope mounts (Med height 1") to replace the standard single-wide mounts that come with the gun. That is a re-occurring issue in the reviews.

There are some cool videos on Youtube about this rifle too. :tiphat:
Nov. 2010...Check!
Nov. 2012...Don't Give Up!
Jan. 2013...True Change!

bigred90gt
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Ruger Air Rifle Clearance Sale

Post by bigred90gt »

I may have to take a look at that. Last night, our dogs had a "near miss" with an opossum, and even though we dont live in the city limits, we do have relatively close neighbors (not close by neighborhood standards, but close enough that discharging a firearm would probably get the police called), and I'd rather not shoot it with a pistol. Thanks for the heads up.

Topic author
pdubyoo

Post by pdubyoo »

Got it sighted in and plinked with it all weekend. Wow that pellet gun has some power. I was really surprised at the amount of kick it has, but I guess being a springer, it should be expected. I tweaked it to the point that I can keep a quarter-sized pattern at 40 yards. The Ruger scope it comes with is very nice and easy to adjust.

There are a few less grackles this weekend! :mrgreen: I shot some of the Gamo Raptor pellets and noticed a considerably louder crack. With these pellets, the Ruger AH Elite velocity is supposed to be around 1200fps. I noticed a lot less accuracy with these though. Lots of fun! :thumbs2:
Nov. 2010...Check!
Jan. 2013...True Change!

ddstuder

Post by ddstuder »

I bought a Remington Pellet gun at Bass Pro a few years ago. It is made in Turkey and is rated at 1200 fps! I shot a coffee can at 20 yards and it penetrated both sides of the metal can! Two years ago there was a possum doing some damage in my back yard, and I was able to kill it with one shot! I love these things!

:fire
Guns are like parachutes, if your ever in a situation that you need one and you dont have one, you'll probably never need one again.

SlickTX

Post by SlickTX »

pdubyoo wrote:Got it sighted in and plinked with it all weekend. Wow that pellet gun has some power. I was really surprised at the amount of kick it has, but I guess being a springer, it should be expected. I tweaked it to the point that I can keep a quarter-sized pattern at 40 yards. The Ruger scope it comes with is very nice and easy to adjust.

There are a few less grackles this weekend! :mrgreen: I shot some of the Gamo Raptor pellets and noticed a considerably louder crack. With these pellets, the Ruger AH Elite velocity is supposed to be around 1200fps. I noticed a lot less accuracy with these though. Lots of fun! :thumbs2:
Keep in mind that hunting grackles is not allowed unless special circumstances exist. From the 2010-2011 hunting manual:

ENDANGERED, THREATENED, AND OTHER PROTECTED NONGAME SPECIES
It is unlawful for any person to hunt (see Definitions - Hunt, pg. 55) threatened, endangered, or protected
nongame species. To sell or purchase goods made from threatened or endangered species, proper documentation
must accompany the goods. For a complete list of threatened and endangered species, and regulations
relating to breeding threatened and endangered species, please call (800) 792-1112 (menu 5).
• Protected Birds: Hawks, owls, eagles, and all other nongame birds and songbirds (except for the few
unprotected birds listed below) are protected by various state and federal laws and may not be killed,
taken from the nest, picked up, or possessed for any reason, and their feathers may not be possessed or
sold. Arts and crafts may not include these protected species under any circumstances.
• Unprotected Birds:
• The only birds not protected by any state or federal law are European starlings, English sparrows, feral
rock doves (common pigeon - Columba livia), and Eurasian collared-doves; these species may be killed at
any time, their nests or eggs destroyed, and their feathers may be possessed.
• Yellow-headed, red-winged, rusty, or Brewer’s blackbirds and all grackles, cowbirds (does not include cattle
egret), crows, or magpies may be controlled without a federal or state depredation permit when found
committing or about to commit depredations on ornamental or shade trees, agricultural crops, livestock,
or wildlife, or when concentrated in numbers and in a manner that constitutes a health hazard
or other nuisance.

One definition of depredation:

An act of consuming agricultural resources (crops, livestock), especially as plunder.
A raid or predatory attack
[Insert pithy witicism here]

Proudly carrying since 09/10.

Topic author
pdubyoo

Post by pdubyoo »

SlickTX wrote: Keep in mind that hunting grackles is not allowed unless special circumstances exist. From the 2010-2011 hunting manual:

It is unlawful for any person to hunt (see Definitions - Hunt, pg. 55) threatened, endangered, or protected
nongame species. To sell or purchase goods made from threatened or endangered species, proper documentation
must accompany the goods. For a complete list of threatened and endangered species, and regulations
relating to breeding threatened and endangered species, please call (800) 792-1112 (menu 5).
• Protected Birds: Hawks, owls, eagles, and all other nongame birds and songbirds (except for the few
unprotected birds listed below) are protected by various state and federal laws and may not be killed,
taken from the nest, picked up, or possessed for any reason, and their feathers may not be possessed or
sold. Arts and crafts may not include these protected species under any circumstances.
• Unprotected Birds:
• The only birds not protected by any state or federal law are European starlings, English sparrows, feral
rock doves (common pigeon - Columba livia), and Eurasian collared-doves; these species may be killed at
• Yellow-headed, red-winged, rusty, or Brewer’s blackbirds and all grackles, cowbirds (does not include cattle
egret), crows, or magpies may be controlled without a federal or state depredation permit when found
committing
or about to commit depredations on ornamental or shade trees, agricultural crops, livestock,
or wildlife, or when concentrated in numbers and in a manner that constitutes a health hazard
or other nuisance.

An act of consuming agricultural resources (crops, livestock), especially as plunder.
That's my reasoning in a nut shell. They make a mess of my orange trees by the hundreds, and further, they run off all the cardinals, blue jays, gold finches and painted buntings.
Nov. 2010...Check!
Jan. 2013...True Change!

Carry-a-Kimber

Post by Carry-a-Kimber »

Hate to be "that guy" but Meijer has it for $99, no tax, and free shipping.
http://www.meijer.com/s/ruger-air-hawk- ... =379566406" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Topic author
pdubyoo

Post by pdubyoo »

Carry-a-Kimber wrote:Hate to be "that guy" but Meijer has it for $99, no tax, and free shipping.
http://www.meijer.com/s/ruger-air-hawk- ... =379566406" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sports Authority has that one for $109, but that's not the Elite.

http://www.airgundepot.com/ruger-air-ha ... scope.html

You scared me there for a second! :shock:
Nov. 2010...Check!
Jan. 2013...True Change!

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

SlickTX wrote:
pdubyoo wrote:Got it sighted in and plinked with it all weekend. Wow that pellet gun has some power. I was really surprised at the amount of kick it has, but I guess being a springer, it should be expected. I tweaked it to the point that I can keep a quarter-sized pattern at 40 yards. The Ruger scope it comes with is very nice and easy to adjust.

Keep in mind that hunting grackles is not allowed unless special circumstances exist. From the 2010-2011 hunting manual:

• Unprotected Birds:
committing or about to commit depredations on ornamental or shade trees, agricultural crops, livestock,
or other nuisance.

That definition ought to include what they have done to my car in several parking lots. I knew they were "full of it," but who knew that such small birds could hold so much? That right there is a depredation by anybody's book, and deserving of a .177 caliber stopper inserted at 1,000 fps into their excratory orifices....

...not that I have any particular opinion about grackles...
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

lawrnk

Post by lawrnk »

Let me say one little thing, I own the airhawk and it dang nears sounds like a rifle. It's really really loud!
Member- TSRA
Life Member- NRA

Rex B
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Rex B »

Springers are not quiet guns. You can tune it and it gets much quieter.
Better spring, good grease to dampen it, and a properly fitted spring guide.
Much of the noise is the spring. Much violence takes place in that receiver tube.

My quietest backyard gun is a Stevens 22" bolt gun shooting CB shorts.
Considerably quieter than my Springers.
-----------
“Sometimes there is no alternative to uncertainty except to await the arrival of more and better data.” C. Wunsch

Topic author
pdubyoo

Post by pdubyoo »

Rex B wrote:Springers are not quiet guns. You can tune it and it gets much quieter.
Better spring, good grease to dampen it, and a properly fitted spring guide.
Much of the noise is the spring. Much violence takes place in that receiver tube.

My quietest backyard gun is a Stevens 22" bolt gun shooting CB shorts.
Considerably quieter than my Springers.
The Air Hawk Elite has a muzzle break that helps some (Ruger says 50%), but with the magnum pellets, it sounds like a .22 and I think it has more recoil due to the spring. With the standard pellets, it's not too loud though.
Nov. 2010...Check!
Jan. 2013...True Change!

Rex B
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Rex B »

Those magnum pellets are the lighter ones, correct? PBA?
They are usually less accurate.
Some springers can be damaged by using those light pellets.
Accuracy Tuning almost always results in lower velocity with a heavy pellet.
The heavier standard pellets slow down the process and dampens the spring action.
-----------
“Sometimes there is no alternative to uncertainty except to await the arrival of more and better data.” C. Wunsch

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
SlickTX wrote:

• Unprotected Birds:
or other nuisance.

That definition ought to include what they have done to my car in several parking lots. I knew they were "full of it," but who knew that such small birds could hold so much? That right there is a depredation by anybody's book, and deserving of a .177 caliber stopper inserted at 1,000 fps into their excratory orifices....

...not that I have any particular opinion about grackles...
Crossfire wrote:
I HATE grackles! They are nasty, filthy, noisy, aggresive, and worst of all, PROTECTED!

Otherwise, we would be having 4 and 20 grackles baked in a pie...
Plainview Herald, Plainview, TX

puma guy wrote:
A reader called the Herald and asked if it was true that birds which could be seen in such large numbers around town really were protected.

According to local and area wildlife experts, the answer is "yes and no."

Joe Zotter, a wildlife biologist with the Texas Wildlife Services in Canyon, understood the confusion.

"It's a tricky law," he said.

As it turns out, Zotter said, by virtue of the fact that grackles are migratory, they are protected under the Federal Migratory Bird Treaty Act. According to information found on the Internet, the agreement was created in 1918 between the United States, Canada, Japan, Mexico and the former Soviet Union.

However, Zotter continued, there are circumstances under which grackles may be killed.

In reading from the law, Zotter said, "Grackles may be killed only when found committing or about to commit depredation."

When presented with that terminology, local game warden Mark Collins laughed and said he had never seen a grackle that was not "committing or about to commit depredation."

Per Wikipedia: The common grackle population has greatly increased in the Austin, Texas, area in recent years and has become quite a nuisance.[2]

The are more than Grackles committing depredation in Austin!
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Topic author
pdubyoo

Post by pdubyoo »

puma guy wrote:The are more than Grackles committing depredation in Austin!
:iagree: :thumbs2: :lol:
Nov. 2010...Check!
Jan. 2013...True Change!

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”