S&W's new "Extreme Velocity" .460 Revolver

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Greybeard
Posts in topic: 2

S&W's new "Extreme Velocity" .460 Revolver

Post by Greybeard »

Not like it's a "carry" gun, but I found Dick Metcalf's review of ".460 S&W Magnum" in March issue of Shooting Times quite interesting.

It seems that S&W has taken the beasty 50 cal. frame and developed a cartridge for it that "leaves every other big bore hunting cartridge in the dust" - with recoil supposedly no more than a mid-size .44 Mag. The new revolver weighs 72 ounces and will also shoot 45 Colt and .454 Casull.

8.5" barrels on two "pilot production" versions put out 200 grain bullets at 2230 to 2340 fps !!! 300 grainers at around 1800. 395 grainers around 1600. Alledged average of three 5-shot groups with Hornady 200 grain SSTs of 3.68 inches - at 200 yards.

Metcalf claims he put 150 rounds of various bullet weights through the two test guns in 90 minutes - and "walked away unscathed." Anyone wanna buy :wink: then try that with my .454 SBH?
CHL Instructor since 1995
http://www.dentoncountysports.com "A Private Palace for Pistol Proficiency"

nemesis
Posts in topic: 1

Post by nemesis »

It seems that S&W has taken the beasty 50 cal. frame and developed a cartridge for it that "leaves every other big bore hunting cartridge in the dust" - with recoil supposedly no more than a mid-size .44 Mag. The new revolver weighs 72 ounces and will also shoot 45 Colt and .454 Casull.
You cannot create nor destroy energy but the six pound weight of the revolver may tame some of it. Marketing hype will make up for any difference.

There is no such thing as a free lunch and a potent round will exhibit all of the characteristics of a potent round. Recoil is no exception.

For those of you that believe S&W's sales pitch, contact me now! I have decided to put the Queen Isabella Causeway on the market and must sell now! My loss is your gain. Cash sales only!

By the way, my 3 1/2 pound lightweight Super Redhawk puts out 300 grain loads at over 1600 fps and that is only because I felt the load was sufficient for my use. Let my know how you feel after packing your five pound S&W around all day.

Topic author
Greybeard
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Greybeard »

Specs from respective mfgrs. web sites sez that Smith's new .460 is actually 73 ounces vs. 53 ounces for 7 1/2" Ruger SBH in .454. Which, yea, can appreciably impact perceived recoil. Along with often shooting lighter bullets ...

The article indicates that Hornady may be soon producing the 45 cal. 200-grain SSTs for the new gun. And, if the SST bullets are as competively priced for .454 as they are in .308, I'll be buying a little test batch to load up for SBH and run thru chrono. Heck, Cor-Bon's web site indicates they already produce a 265-grain .454 load that gets 1800 fps. With a 200-grain SST, I'm anxious to do some tweaking toward a "mild" load, possibly in the 2000 fps range, out of the 7 1/2" SBH. :) :?:

And yea, nemisis, the "settled on" hog-hunting load (for now :wink: )where I drew the line is 300-grain XTP at around 1525 fps ...
CHL Instructor since 1995
http://www.dentoncountysports.com "A Private Palace for Pistol Proficiency"

Bubba
Posts in topic: 1

Re: S&W's new "Extreme Velocity" .460 Revolver

Post by Bubba »

Greybeard wrote: It seems that S&W has taken the beasty 50 cal. frame and developed...
Hey now, I like my beasty 50 cal ! :D
Who says it's not a "carry" gun, it fits nicely in ankle holster under some tight spandex ! LOL

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”