What to expect in Harris County for Car-Carry without CHL

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

one eyed fatman
Banned
Posts in topic: 4

Post by one eyed fatman »

This threads is kind of strange to listen to. In all my 53 years and all the times I have been pulled over by the law not one single time has any officer ever asked me if I had a gun in the car. Are people getting freaky here or have I just been real lucky?

stevie_d_64
Posts in topic: 7

Post by stevie_d_64 »

one eyed fatman wrote:This threads is kind of strange to listen to. In all my 53 years and all the times I have been pulled over by the law not one single time has any officer ever asked me if I had a gun in the car. Are people getting freaky here or have I just been real lucky?
I've seen discussions like this as well...I don't assume anyone's participation to be "freaky" or "paranoid" to any extent...

Odds are that occasionally someone will come into the discussion (like this) and relate an incident that should concern us to a certain point, but with that knowledge, and discussion, we should be able to apply that information to prevent a similar situation that "could" happen to us, and reduce the friction and stress of that encounter...

Like you, I have never personally had an "official" encounter go sour grapes on me...

Stuff happens, and I feel its better to get it out in the open in places like this, than to not...

You've had a lot of good stuff to relate to us...I know you have more...I've always enjoyed your input...
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

one eyed fatman
Banned

I use the term freaky loosely. Hopefully no one was offended.

stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

one eyed fatman wrote:I use the term freaky loosely. Hopefully no one was offended.
Nahhh, I knew what you meant...

I don't know about everyone else...You may have to be careful... ;-) :lol:
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
Μολών λαβέ!

one eyed fatman
Banned

Last time I was careful I tripped and fell. :???:

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

one eyed fatman wrote:I use the term freaky loosely. Hopefully no one was offended.
Not al all. I thought it was pretty funny. :lol:

The situation with HPD now will apparently be different than prior to the passage of HB823. It appears that HPD officers will now routinely ask drivers if they have any weapons in the car, so this scenario is more likely to occur.

Chas.

one eyed fatman
Banned

About a year after I moved here I got pulled over for speeding. Ya I was speeding. I also think the cop was hiding out on private property to get someone. Illegal. I went ahead and took the ticket but made it known that if the cops here were writing tickets to residents because they were bored and had nothing better to do to tell me now so I could put my house up for sale and move. I paid the ticket. I haven't been ticketed in this town since then. That was 14 years ago.

They also support CHL carry laws. I feel good.

jimlongley
Posts in topic: 1

Post by jimlongley »

one eyed fatman wrote:This threads is kind of strange to listen to. In all my 53 years and all the times I have been pulled over by the law not one single time has any officer ever asked me if I had a gun in the car. Are people getting freaky here or have I just been real lucky?
I got pulled over in Plano, after two in the morning, they were having a drunk sweep and I may have appeared to be attempting to avoid it - actually I did have to get off at that exit to go home.

The officer was funny, he just about crawled into the front seat with me trying to smell my breath, and I really was on the way home from work.

He didn't ask about guns until he came back from reviewing my license, and then he wanted to know if I was "packing." Since I did not have a CHL, although I had sent the app in, of course I was not, but initially I misunderstood what he said and thought that he was referring to me going away or something.

When we finally got it straight that he wanted to know if I was carrying a gun, I told him that I was not since I didn't have a CHL. That was when he told me that according to their records I did.

It arrived in the mail the next day.

===============================================

Many years ago I was working as a telephone man in the very rural areas of the Catskill Mountains and was driving from my home near Albany to the area I was working in on the New York State Thruway very late at night. I was very very sleepy, so I pulled off the road behind a bridge abutment and laid out across the front seat and napped.

I don't know how long I had been out when a tapping at my window woke me, and there was a NYS Trooper wanting to know if I was all right, etc. I told him that I was on my way to where I worked and was just so sleepy and figured that I coudn't make it to the rest area so I pulled behind the abutment. He shined his big flashlight a couple of hundred feet up the road, and there was the sign for the rest area. :oops:

Then he asked about the Vodka bottle in the back seat, which luckily was sealed so not a problem under NYS law in 1966. Then he asked if I had any guns (he may have seen part of one.)

I pulled 6 different long guns out of the back seat of the car and stacked them against the side. It must have looked really funny to cars driving by. I told him that I was taking some of them to Numrich Arms for either appraisal or repair, and a couple up into the hills to shoot. We had a nice discussion about them, and then we each went on our respective ways.

I can't imagine the same scenario now, 40 years later.
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
Not al all. I thought it was pretty funny. :lol:

The situation with HPD now will apparently be different than prior to the passage of HB823. It appears that HPD officers will now routinely ask drivers if they have any weapons in the car, so this scenario is more likely to occur.

Chas.
Thats interesting...And I know this is off-topic, but what else is new...

If they're changing their policy to "inquire" about any weapons in the vehicle?

Then why can't they recind HPD policy 500-5 (I think thats the internal policy or order), as to allow HPD officers to inquire and have shown proof to the residency of a person they pull over these days???

You know since that seems to be a big issue these days with the American people...

Just something to think about...
NRA - Life Member
Μολών λαβέ!

Topic author
Paladin

Post by Paladin »

Before I got a CHL, I had at least 2 police officers ask me if I had a gun during regular traffic stops. I did not and answered so and that was the end of it.

Years ago my uncle got stopped as he was driving thru West Texas. They asked him if he had any guns. He said yes. The officer said to show him where. Uncle showed him 2 rifles in the trunk. The officer asked if he had any more, my uncle told him he had a handgun under the drivers seat. Police officer checked out all the guns, but let my uncle go as he was most definitely traveling at the time.

Maybe they ask some people more than others?
Last edited by Paladin on Mon Jan 09, 2006 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

gigag04
Posts in topic: 1

Post by gigag04 »

I've only been asked once, and then the guy asked to search our truck.

It was my best friend and I, and this DPS guy was a local and had it out for us...unfortunately i let him search. We didn't have any alcohol or guns (at the time) - we were only 17, and thus 2nd class citizens, but I would have liked to make him get a warrant just to jack with him and tie him up.

Haven't been asked since as far as pre-CHL stops go.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

ThunderDownUnder
Posts in topic: 2

Post by ThunderDownUnder »

+1
I'm 44 YO and I too have never been asked. And I have never been without some kind of HG,LG, or MG/SMG since I started driving at age 15!

I'm a two-bad-eyed fatboy! Maybe that has something to do with it !
Jay

ThunderDownUnder
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Rosenthal!!!

Post by ThunderDownUnder »

txinvestigator wrote:
tomneal wrote:Where does anyone get this information.

Rosenthal has written articles for the paper and done many interviews on local radio stations.
Heck he even responded to an email from me.

All that happened in August and September.

Later in the fall charges were pressed against someone that was leaving Harris County to spend the weekend with relatives in East Texas. But, oops, they had a car wreck before they could get out of the county.
And you have ZERO information regarding the facts of that arrest. If I am wrong, I would love to see a link or reference.
If you are still interested in this case, check with TSRA. They ,and to a lesser extent the NRA, are staying posted. I was recently solicited by a TSRA member for the guy's legal defense fund ( I declined). I have read the facts of the case but can't remember where. I know TSRA has published something. The second court date should be this month IIRC.
Paladin is aware of the same basic facts as I am. The only contact I have at the Harris Co. DA's office is not aware of it and has told me she really doesn't care either ! Ok, honey, thanks and how about another margarita?
The second and third margarita's didn't yield any better results. :sad:
J

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”