Purchasing a gun

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
gguess66
Posts in topic: 1

Purchasing a gun

Post by gguess66 »

I live in Fort Worth, I am close to purchasing my Springfield xd9 subcompact, where should I purchase. My first thought was Cheaper Than Dirt they have the essential kit for 439.99 2 mags, brush and lock. Not sure if that is a good deal.

Teamless

Re: Purchasing a gun

Post by Teamless »

$440 is a good price for that setup.
League City, TX
Yankee born, but got to Texas as fast as I could! NRA / PSC / IANAL

fannypacker

Post by fannypacker »

Cheap isn't always the best route. Purchase from your local gunshop. If you don't give him business he will fold. Can you get advice from Cheaper than Dirt? Don't think so. They are clerks. Not gun guys.

68Charger

Post by 68Charger »

fannypacker wrote:Cheap isn't always the best route. Purchase from your local gunshop. If you don't give him business he will fold. Can you get advice from Cheaper than Dirt? Don't think so. They are clerks. Not gun guys.
Gun shops here in SA are extremely overpriced. Sure I support a lot of local mom and pop shops, but not gun shops. I'm not going to name any shops here, but the prices are just.. ridiculous. $700 for a RIA 1911 compact with GI sights? Yeah, no thanks. I'd shop online first to be honest. No tax and all you pay is FFL fee.

Also check out for gun shows in your area. They carry a lot of guns there at a great price. I always see great prices at Saxet gun show. You just gotta look. :)
We don't need no stinking badges!

maverick2076

Post by maverick2076 »

Order online and ship to a local FFL. That same package can be found online for about $375, and you should be able to find an FFL to do the transfer for $20 or less. Check Buds, Palmetto State Armory, and look for deals on http://www.slickguns.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

SQLGeek

Post by SQLGeek »

fannypacker wrote:Cheap isn't always the best route. Purchase from your local gunshop. If you don't give him business he will fold. Can you get advice from Cheaper than Dirt? Don't think so. They are clerks. Not gun guys.
I support local shops when it is feasible but I hate to say it, some don't know very much and/or are grossly overpriced. Some are downright hostile to certain customers (Carter's Country, I'm looking at you). I understand the need to cover overhead and make a profit but in this market, you need to find a way to justify the premium.

As an example, I purchased my Glock from Tomball Pawn because the counter staff was friendly, made useful suggestions, didn't treat me as a bother to them, let me hold numerous types of guns, dry fire them and even stick them in my pocket. That's service worth paying for.
Psalm 91:2

Superman

Post by Superman »

Here was my reference point when I bought mine:

http://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore. ... /hot-deals

I then went to the local gun show and got it slightly cheaper. I paid $411 out the door. I saw pretty much the same price for it last weekend at the gun show that was in Irving.

xb12s

Post by xb12s »

I'm in Houston. We had a gun show last weekend (Premier gun Show). One of the vendors there was from Greenville. He had some of the best prices I have ever seen at a gunshow or at a local shop. Greenville may be further than you want to drive, but you could possibly run into somebody like that at a gun show. Living in Houston, I'd never drive to Greenville. But there he was at our show.

SigM4
Posts in topic: 2

Post by SigM4 »

My suggestion:

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.ph ... black.html

Enter "XDSALE" in the coupon code and get $30 off, so $369.99 for the same set-up. Shipping to 76116 shows to be free.

As for FFLs to send it to, I've transferred many guns through:

Dealer Name: Cash Advance Benbrook
Class III FFL:Unknown
Phone Number: 817-249-4909
Street Address: 9023 US Hwy 377 South
City: Benbrook
State: TX
Zip: 76126
Preferred FFL Dealer!
Last Reported Transfer Fee: 10.00

$10 for CHL holders. Nice as they can be.

Just my $0.02.
Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Blindref757

Post by Blindref757 »

SAW guns in Sunnyvale goes to most of the local gun shows in this area. You can go to their showroom or hit one of the gun shows and get that gun for $399.

michael e

Post by michael e »

Blindref757 wrote:SAW guns in Sunnyvale goes to most of the local gun shows in this area. You can go to their showroom or hit one of the gun shows and get that gun for $399.
I will never buy from them due to a certain employee, I have told everyone I know to not buy from them. He acted like helping a customer was not part of his job.

alvins

Post by alvins »

personally i dont understand the whole support your local gun shop thing. maybe if they were worth shopping at then i would understand. but most of them like carters country or such act like your an inconvience for even coming in.

snatchel

Post by snatchel »

I also like to support my local gun shops. I am not a fan of the bigger gun shop here, but I have had very good interactions at the other. Because I don't really buy any gun that doesn't start with a "G" and end with a "K," I usually buy my guns at GTDistributors. However, I purchase ammo & accessories locally to support those guys.
No More Signature

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

michael e wrote:
Blindref757 wrote:SAW guns in Sunnyvale goes to most of the local gun shows in this area. You can go to their showroom or hit one of the gun shows and get that gun for $399.
I will never buy from them due to a certain employee, I have told everyone I know to not buy from them. He acted like helping a customer was not part of his job.
Interesting.... I had the exact opposite experience, and I've bought several guns from them.

To the OP, if you're in Ft Worth, give Euless Guns & Ammo a look-see. They don't always have rock-bottom pricing, but they're not too bad, and they have a decent selection for a small shop. Plus they have an in-house gunsmith who does pretty good work.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Southlake

Post by Southlake »

If you live in FT. Worth and are close to Cheaper than you can drive up 35 to ShootSmart. Speak with Jared, Andrew or Aaron, tell them Jim sent you. I purchased traded for my last 3 Glocks there. They are a local family oriented shop and take good care of us locals.
Jim, In God We Trust!
Search for Peace and Work to Maintain it.
American by Birth, Texan by the Grace of God.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”