Unloading a lever action

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
pbwalker
Posts in topic: 1

Unloading a lever action

Post by pbwalker »

This is probably a very dumb question, but I'm wondering...because it's annoying.

Can you unload a chambered round on a lever action rifle without having to cycle through the entire magazine?
*NRA Endowment Member* | Veteran
Vote Adam Kraut for the NRA Board of Directors - http://www.adamkraut.com/

i8godzilla

Re: Unloading a lever action

Post by i8godzilla »

I have a Model 94 and know of no other way. If there is a way, I am sure someone will be along shortly.
No State shall convert a liberty into a privilege, license it, and charge a fee therefor. -- Murdock v. Pennsylvania
If the State converts a right into a privilege, the citizen can ignore the license and fee and engage in the right with impunity. -- Shuttleworth v. City of Birmingham

fickman

Post by fickman »

Does the action operate the same as a pump? I always cycle my entire shotgun to unload it. . . would be interested in a shortcut.
Native Texian

Carry-a-Kimber

Post by Carry-a-Kimber »

fickman wrote:Does the action operate the same as a pump? I always cycle my entire shotgun to unload it. . . would be interested in a shortcut.
The chamber on many pump shotguns can be emptied without loading another round. Simply push up on the elevator before pulling back on the foregrip to eject the chambered round. The round in the chamber and the last round in the magazine will be ejected but the remaining round(s) in the magazine will stay in place.

CC Italian

Post by CC Italian »

On my pump shotgun I can do it like carry a kimber described but on my 336 lever all I can do is eject the chambered round and leave the lever open. This way the round is not in the chamber.

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

All above is correct. Remember!!! There are no dumb questions.
Not on this board. :tiphat:
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

MoJo

Post by MoJo »

Pump and semi auto shotguns can be unloaded by pressing the catch in the magazine and removing the shells. Lever action rifles have to be cycled carefully to unload them since you have to chamber each round. Some .22 lever actions can be unloaded by opening the magazine tube and dumping the rounds. When in doubt, check the owner's manual.
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

Jeremae

Post by Jeremae »

To unload just the chambered round on a 336 press in on the loading gate while cycling the lever so that the next round in the tube doesn't enter the elevator
Reasonable gun control is hitting your target with the first shot.

jimlongley

Post by jimlongley »

Jeremae wrote:To unload just the chambered round on a 336 press in on the loading gate while cycling the lever so that the next round in the tube doesn't enter the elevator
You can also, somewhat like loading a Garand, reach into the action and hold down the round that is sitting there waiting to be chambered so the bolt slides over the top of it.
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”