.44 AutoMag being reborn - JD Jones

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
AndyC
Posts in topic: 16

Re: Auto Mag Ltd. Taking Orders

Post by AndyC » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:04 pm

EL29jm wrote:From what I understand, the Auto Mag Ltd. is now taking orders, and money, if you were on their waiting list, signed up. Looks like for those who are interested their wait is over to purchase one. Just some time to manufacture them. Congratulations to Andy for snagging one of the Founders Edition. Hope yours arrive soon, want to see pictures, will be a nice edition to your collection.
Thank you! I can hardly wait, of course, and I have all the components/dies to make ammo; I'm just waiting on the email where they ask which FFL I'm going to use (a friend's father).

Future plans include the .22 LR conversion kit as well as the 6.5" upper; might as well have fun with the thing.

I mentioned using lead bullets on the AutoMag forum (jacketed bullets aren't cheap) and got a little mumbling and warnings, but what that's fine - at least I'm getting dope from people who've shot these for a long time.

Here's their ShotShow video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnOcMP7xp2o

The first recipient shooting some handloads:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpWOwN2qRJQ
Remember Kitty Genovese

Amateurs skip safety-checks - pros don't.
Preferred Travel Agent - 72 Virgins Dating Club
There's nothing quite like the offer of 230 grains to a man's chest to remind him of his manners

EL29jm
Posts in topic: 3

Re: .44 AutoMag being reborn - JD Jones

Post by EL29jm » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:14 am

I have been following the AutoMag for a long time but never made a final decision to purchase one. Not an expert but fairly versed on the history. Also, ones being sold had concerns with condition and reliability. There were good ones and not so good ones. When I found out that the AutoMag was being reborn, improvements and new modern machine techniques, peaked my interest. While not a practical pistol for urban life it was one on my bucket list and not many years left, still young at mind and good health at 60. I thought people selling/asking for more than $2500 for an AutoMag was nuts (depending on condition and SN) surely over $3500 was absolutely insane for one of the new AutoMags. So I ordered one ;-) , Classic with 8.5. Now I wait and when it arrives will run a few at PSC range.
(Grid - EL29jl - moved) NRA Lifetime member

Topic author
AndyC

Post by AndyC » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:49 am

EL29jm wrote:...surely over $3500 was absolutely insane for one of the new AutoMags. So I ordered one ;-)
:smilelol5:

Good man! We'll have to hook up when we both have ours and annoy some fellow shooters :cool:
Remember Kitty Genovese

There's nothing quite like the offer of 230 grains to a man's chest to remind him of his manners

EL29jm
Posts in topic: 3

Post by EL29jm » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:22 pm

Good man! We'll have to hook up when we both have ours and annoy some fellow shooters :cool:
Andy, that would be fun. Also I thought I read somewhere the 50 Founders editions were being shipped. Not sure if all were shipped, let us know when yours arrives, plus a video! ** Clarification/edit - 77 Founders produced and 27 of those kept by Patrick for family, friends and promotional **

Found some additional information regarding the Classic Edition, from the CEO
* There will be a regular case and an option to upgrade to a wooden case like the Founders come with
* Two mags comes with each gun
* offering 75 classics
* Serial number CE-01 thru CE-75
Last edited by EL29jm on Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
(Grid - EL29jl - moved) NRA Lifetime member

Topic author
AndyC

Post by AndyC » Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:41 pm

No news on mine yet, no - I'll get an email at some point asking where it should be shipped to, FFL-wise. I'm expecting February sometime but just trying not to be impatient. There are actually 77 Founders' Edition pistols - from my understanding they made 80 barrels and expected many to be ruined in some way during testing of their heat-treatment, etc, but they only lost 3 - so the original planned 50 stretched to 77.

Whether Founders or Classic, I think these pistols are unique/rare enough to deserve a wooden case.
Remember Kitty Genovese

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”