Woman accidentally kills herself at shooting range

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Excaliber
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Woman accidentally kills herself at shooting range

Post by Excaliber »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:This is really tragic, but . . .

A .500 S&W is a revolver --- she fires first round and the recoil both raises her arms and quite probably rotates her wrists also. I have two problems with this explanation. First, the .500 S&W has a long barrel and I can't see it pointing at her head at maximum recoil; it should be over her head. More importantly, I would be more than a little surprised to see her pull a double action trigger the 2nd time while the gun was in recoil or the upper-most recoil position.

I'm not saying it couldn't happen, but it'd take a lot, I mean a lot, of evidence for me to be convinced.

Chas.
I'm with you on this.

I suppose it's remotely possible that the violence of the recoil combined with a twisting of the arms could possibly result in the trigger being pulled by the recoil itself with the finger in the trigger guard, but that would be a really far out freak accident.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

VMI77
Posts in topic: 1

Post by VMI77 »

Excaliber wrote:

A .500 S&W is a revolver --- she fires first round and the recoil both raises her arms and quite probably rotates her wrists also. I have two problems with this explanation. First, the .500 S&W has a long barrel and I can't see it pointing at her head at maximum recoil; it should be over her head. More importantly, I would be more than a little surprised to see her pull a double action trigger the 2nd time while the gun was in recoil or the upper-most recoil position.

I'm not saying it couldn't happen, but it'd take a lot, I mean a lot, of evidence for me to be convinced.

Chas.
I'm with you on this.

I suppose it's remotely possible that the violence of the recoil combined with a twisting of the arms could possibly result in the trigger being pulled by the recoil itself with the finger in the trigger guard, but that would be a really far out freak accident.
These were also my first thoughts....but this video makes it seem a little more plausible:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8NDGxzl ... verified=1

Edited to add:

On another site a commenter claimed to be a member of the range where this incident happened. According to his comment, the family has video of the accident that was given to LE.
Last edited by VMI77 on Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

E.Marquez
Posts in topic: 4

Post by E.Marquez »

Excaliber wrote: I suppose it's remotely possible that the violence of the recoil combined with a twisting of the arms could possibly result in the trigger being pulled by the recoil itself with the finger in the trigger guard, but that would be a really far out freak accident.
After personally witnessing, investigating, reviewing the investigations of literally hundreds of Negligent discharges that resulted in death, injury and or in most cases embarrassment.. From US, French, Polish, Canadian, Iraq and Afghanistan folks I can say without a doubt no method of ND reported to me is viewed as impossible or not plausible.

For sure each needs to be looked at interdependently with no preconceived notions it was or was not a intentional discharge, or ND with or without malice.. But nothing would surprise me at this point.
Companion animal Microchips, quality name brand chips, lifetime registration, Low cost just $10~12, not for profit, most locations we can come to you. We cover eight counties McLennan, Hill, Bell, Coryell, Falls, Bosque, Limestone, Lampasas
Contact we.chip.pets@gmail.com

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

I am not commenting on the legal ramifications of this video, but it really illustrates the stupidity of some gun owners.
Giving a firearm to an inexperienced shooter for a the sole purpose of recording a video to record their reaction is irresponsible.
This is another example of the stupidity of some gun owners that provides justification for gun control.
NRA Endowment Member

Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 2

Post by philip964 »

It is popular to show videos of attractive young women firing a .500 gun for the first time. Same with car surfing, etc., etc. on youtube.

I'm not surprised to learn they were shooting video of this. Very sad.

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

philip964 wrote:It is popular to show videos of attractive young women firing a .500 gun for the first time. Same with car surfing, etc., etc. on youtube.

The people who set up to record these videos are immature, stupid, selfish, useless, idiotic, morons, imbeciles ...
Did I forget any adjectives? :banghead:

They should stick to getting their kicks from plastic vomit, fake dog poo, joy buzzers and whoopee cushions.
NRA Endowment Member

Dave2

Post by Dave2 »

WildBill wrote:
philip964 wrote:It is popular to show videos of attractive young women firing a .500 gun for the first time. Same with car surfing, etc., etc. on youtube.

The people who set up to record these videos are immature, stupid, selfish, useless, idiotic, morons, imbeciles ...
Did I forget any adjectives?
"Vacuous"?
I am not a lawyer, nor have I played one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, nor should anything I say be taken as legal advice. If it is important that any information be accurate, do not use me as the only source.

kragluver

Post by kragluver »

I had heard of a similar case to this several years back. Tall boyfriend gives short statured girlfriend his semi-auto, then stands directly behind her with his head above hers while she shoots. The recoil caused the pistol to drive up and back with the muzzle just beneath boyfriends chin - where she triggered a second round.

The Krag rifle is the Swiss watch of MILSURPS.
NRA Member
TSRA Member

Amonix

Post by Amonix »

After looking at the youtube with the chick shooting that gun. Wow, the recoil on that gun would scare the day lights out of me. I think the sheer force would dislocate my shoulder (its pretty easy to do these days I have nice video of me throwing a soccer ball and doing it). When I first learned to shot a weapon my father, mother, uncle, and I think my grandfather shot before me showing me how to hold and safety. I don't think I would ever shoot a weapon that looked that bad on recoil due to my shoulder. I passed up the opportunity to shoot an AR-15 while at the range because I was really not sure proper handling and I didn't feel comfortable taking a risk. The owner of the gun was friendly and trying to encourage me but after the 3rd time of no, I just don't feel safe doing it.

Guess we just have some people who don't understand common sense or safety with something that can harm you.
Amonix
CompTIA A+ Certified Professionaln
CIW Certified Web Foundations Associate
[Changing the world one byte at a time]

Dave2

Post by Dave2 »

Amonix wrote:After looking at the youtube with the chick shooting that gun. Wow, the recoil on that gun would scare the day lights out of me. I think the sheer force would dislocate my shoulder (its pretty easy to do these days I have nice video of me throwing a soccer ball and doing it).
Kinda OT, but if it's that easy to dislocate, how hard is it to, um, "re"locate?
I am not a lawyer, nor have I played one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, nor should anything I say be taken as legal advice. If it is important that any information be accurate, do not use me as the only source.

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

Dave2 wrote:
Amonix wrote:After looking at the youtube with the chick shooting that gun. Wow, the recoil on that gun would scare the day lights out of me. I think the sheer force would dislocate my shoulder (its pretty easy to do these days I have nice video of me throwing a soccer ball and doing it).
Kinda OT, but if it's that easy to dislocate, how hard is it to, um, "re"locate?
I have never done it personally, but have watched several coaches pull on the arm and pop the joint back in place. This was a long time ago - now they probably would take them to a doctor.

[youtube][/youtube]
NRA Endowment Member

jimlongley

Post by jimlongley »

Chas.
This is another YouTube video of someone firing a .500 S&W a second time while it is in recoil. I think what happened in this and the other video, is that the shooter's finger came off the trigger for long enough for it to reset, and then as the recoil continued, the finger got back on the trigger, which is light enough to be pulled in DA, and fired the gun again.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I fired a friends some years ago, and can say that I did not allow it to get away from me on recoil, but after firing five rounds I was surprised to note that there ws blood coming out of the meat of my thumb. No cut, abrasion or other obvious injury, just blood coming out of my skin.
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

jimlongley wrote:

Chas.
This is another YouTube video of someone firing a .500 S&W a second time while it is in recoil. I think what happened in this and the other video, is that the shooter's finger came off the trigger for long enough for it to reset, and then as the recoil continued, the finger got back on the trigger, which is light enough to be pulled in DA, and fired the gun again.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I fired a friends some years ago, and can say that I did not allow it to get away from me on recoil, but after firing five rounds I was surprised to note that there ws blood coming out of the meat of my thumb. No cut, abrasion or other obvious injury, just blood coming out of my skin.
I witnessed a similar incident when my friend was firing full 44 Mag loads with his newly-purchased Thompson Contender barrel.
NRA Endowment Member

Amonix

Post by Amonix »

Dave2 wrote:
Usually after doing it simply walking will cause it to bounce back into place. The first 3 times I had to have it done in the ER because it wouldn't move. The last 8 or so times I can pop it by letting it hang loose and walking upright. My Ex-Fiance was an OT who used to then do kinesio taping to keep it stable for a week.
Amonix
CompTIA A+ Certified Professionaln
CIW Certified Web Foundations Associate
[Changing the world one byte at a time]

TREKFAN

Post by TREKFAN »

http://youtu.be/DFAApRUH094

Crazy chick does it with one hand ! Gotta see.
Application, Fingerprints & CHL class done by 1-12-13
All documents mailed USPS 1-16-13
All Documents Received, background check under review 2-1-13
Background check complete 2/15

Return to “Never Again!!”