Reloading with my son.

For those who like to roll their own.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
dws1117
Posts in topic: 3

Reloading with my son.

Post by dws1117 »

All of us who have or has had young kids know how they want to help you do everything. Tonight I set out to load some .45ACP on my Dillon 550. I was about 50 rounds into the session when the plea to help come from my 4 year old son. Instead of brushing him off I put him up on the bench (since he is too short) with the boxes for the completed rounds. When a round fell into the hopper he would pick it up and place it in the box. He was having a ball. I would pretend like I was racing him. He even got to the point where he would try to catch the round as it fell and place it in the box before it fell. It was the most fun I've has reloading. For him it was a game and for me it was quality time spent with my son involving my favorite hobby since he is still too young for the range.

(BTW, I wasn't really racing him, but don't tell him that. Gotta watch the powder drops and the whole process.)

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

Good job dws. I am now one full generation ahead of you. My youngest grandone is 6. When they are over here they love to help Papa. Keep letting them help on everything. I have learned that the best way to make kids lazy is to say no when they want to help, bercause "I can do it faster by myself". Tell the lad that about mowing the yard from now until they are 14 & he will have found something else to do. BTW is this the same one that told the patrons & LEO's at Taco Bell that he hit his head on your gun? :smilelol5: :smilelol5: Man I wish I had been there for that one. :lol:
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

Kalrog
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Kalrog »

My son is 3 and I plan on doing the same thing as soon as I get my press set up. Gotta reload those .44Mag rounds!

.45ACP may come next though...

Topic author
dws1117

Post by dws1117 »

LT, yes this is the same and only son.

seadawg221

Post by seadawg221 »

El Gato was just telling Jason and I last weekend that his son learned to count by helping him during reloading sessions.

Way to go DWS! :grin:

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

That is a great idea. Mine are past learning to count but there is also adding by rows. & then multiplying. Thanks guys. I get more good ideas on this board than just arms & ammo.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Topic author
dws1117

Post by dws1117 »

El Gato was just telling Jason and I last weekend that his son learned to count by helping him during reloading sessions.
That's a great idea. It's also a good way to get to buy more reloading supplies. "See sweetheart, it's educational." Now what caring mother could say no to educatin thier young children in math.

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

Good line dws. Who said this old dog could not learn a new trick. Keep teaching me you young whippersnappers. :thumbsup: :hurry:

JLaw

Post by JLaw »

Good job dws1117!! My son, 6 yrs old, loves to help me reload also. He is the official "lever puller" of the old Texan press that I've got. I know the pride you have in reloading with your son, it's an awesome feeling, although not quite as awesome as buying him his first rifle. I'm working with you and all the other fathers out there to keep the tradition alive.

longtooth wrote:
"I have learned that the best way to make kids lazy is to say no when they want to help, bercause "I can do it faster by myself". Tell the lad that about mowing the yard from now until they are 14 & he will have found something else to do. "

Ah, words of wisdom!

JLaw.

Return to “Reloading Forum”