Hot-glue bullets

For those who like to roll their own.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
AndyC
Posts in topic: 5

Hot-glue bullets

Post by AndyC » Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:23 pm

A younger friend of mine does security-work and is always wanting to improve his shooting, but he doesn't make a lot of money to pay for range-fees and ammo. I've decided to assist by introducing him to hot-glue bullets - that way he can shoot inside his apartment and incur very little expense (basically just primers).

Now, I used to cast wax bullets when I worked for an armed response company in Cape Town so we could easily, cheaply and safely practice room-clearance and the like inside our company HQ - and they were pretty accurate and fed well when cycled by hand from the magazine of our CZ75s. Problem was, they took a long time to cool and they bent after a few firings, so I decided this would likely be more efficient. I've never made the hot-glue version, so I had some fun experimenting yesterday with a new glue-gun and a 2nd-hand 9mm Lee mold.

The simplest way I found is to spray Pam inside the mold-block faces and cavities as well as on top of the sprue-plate - you can cast 10-12 glue bullets before they start to stick a little and it needs more Pam. It also makes removing the glue-sprue easier if you drag glue between the cavity-holes on top of the sprue-plate too (as in the photo below) - that way the sprue just peels off in one go.

It takes a minute or two for the glue to solidify enough to remove the bullets, so it's kinda slow going - I found it best to do some chores and throw bullets in between.

With that said, these are not people-safe - they WILL welt severely (don't ask how I know this), so don't shoot them at anyone. They're reusable and are easily-stopped by a few layers of towel etc behind a cardboard target - I don't know how long these glue versions will last, but they seem to be pretty solid yet slightly rubbery.
Remember Kitty Genovese

Amateurs skip safety-checks - pros don't.
Preferred Travel Agent - 72 Virgins Dating Club, Iraq
There's nothing quite like the offer of 230 grains to a man's chest to remind him of his manners

MP(Ret)95B
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Hot-glue bullets

Post by MP(Ret)95B » Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:04 pm

That is brilliant!
Going to try that....would be great for critters in the yard (that I don't want to kill...just scare away) as well as practice.
Now to get a mold, glue gun & sticks,....etc, etc.
(MP)

Topic author
AndyC

Post by AndyC » Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:21 pm

Get a cheap mold - Lee or something.
Remember Kitty Genovese

There's nothing quite like the offer of 230 grains to a man's chest to remind him of his manners

TreyHouston

Post by TreyHouston » Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:39 pm

Thats cool! I would definitely by some if your selling!
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

mojo84

Post by mojo84 » Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:08 pm

Very cool. Do they fill or clog the rifling in the gun? If they do, I'm sure nothing cleaning won't take care of.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

mrvmax

Post by mrvmax » Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:29 am

Thanks for that, I may have to try that. These are using primers only, no powder - correct?

kayt00

Post by kayt00 » Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:05 am

Wait...did I read that correctly? Quiet enough to practice shooting in an apartment? :shock:
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Nevermind...
All lost in a tragic kayaking incident.
Bring back BitterClinger

Daddio-on-patio

Post by Daddio-on-patio » Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:05 am

I'd be careful advising discharge of a firearm in an apartment. When we cleared our service weapon to use in Simunition training we had a system set up to assure no live rounds were in the "clean" area despite all barrels be removed and replaced. These rounds are a great idea, however, you will be using the barrel that is installed in the firearm. Let's all be vigilant with regards to safety.
Ephesians 6:12 NKJV

12 For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age,[a] against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places.

Topic author
AndyC

Post by AndyC » Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:24 pm

TreyHouston wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:39 pm
Thats cool! I would definitely by some if your selling!
Nope, too time-intensive, but thanks ;)

mojo84 wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:08 pm
Very cool. Do they fill or clog the rifling in the gun? If they do, I'm sure nothing cleaning won't take care of.
I don’t know - I’ve only shot wax before, not these things - but nobody I’ve read seems to have had an issue with them.

mrvmax wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:29 am
Thanks for that, I may have to try that. These are using primers only, no powder - correct?
Correct

kayt00 wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:05 am
Wait...did I read that correctly? Quiet enough to practice shooting in an apartment? :shock:
It’s just the primer popping - I can’t speak for wherever you live.

Daddio-on-patio wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:05 am
I'd be careful advising discharge of a firearm in an apartment. When we cleared our service weapon to use in Simunition training we had a system set up to assure no live rounds were in the "clean" area despite all barrels be removed and replaced. These rounds are a great idea, however, you will be using the barrel that is installed in the firearm. Let's all be vigilant with regards to safety.
Absolutely, and good advice.

Also, as the primers contain small lead particles, I wouldn’t use these near a kitchen and I’d keep the hallway or wherever well-ventilated.
Remember Kitty Genovese

K-Texas

Post by K-Texas » Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:52 pm

:clapping: Hopefully they'll last a few shootings and should be a cost effective alternative to rubber bullets. ;-)
Anything that can be corrupted by man; will be corrupted.

The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want . . .

flechero

Post by flechero » Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:33 pm

mojo84 wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:08 pm
Run a wet patch with pam on it before shooting! If Pam is good enough for a mold release it should lube the rifling as well for this purpose.

Topic author
AndyC

Post by AndyC » Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:47 pm

^ Not a bad idea at that :cheers2:
Remember Kitty Genovese

LDP

Post by LDP » Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:11 pm

So the primer is enough to cycle the action? Or does it require a manual cycle?

Topic author
AndyC

Post by AndyC » Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:54 pm

Manual cycle.
Remember Kitty Genovese

Return to “Reloading Forum”