abcjmp redirect

Most of us are not "computer people" so post your technical questions and comments here. If you have computer or Internet expertise, share it here.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Captain Matt
Posts in topic: 2

abcjmp redirect

Post by Captain Matt »

A couple days ago I started getting weird redirects when I clicked on links in Google searches. They seem to go through abcjmp.com and end up on spam websites instead of the site listed in the Google search. I tried using Google to find the solution and get a lot of results but I don't see the solution. I ran Ad-Aware and two big name AV programs but they find nothing. (Actually the Ad-Aware scan finds cookies but not the malware. :banghead: ) Some of the search results mention HijackThis which seems to be like sending blood to a lab - you get a long printout but no diagnosis and no cure. Others mention AV programs I never heard of but I'm worried installing unknown software will make the situation worse.

If you know how to get rid of the redirect without a full wipe of the system, please help a brother out.

THANKS!
"hic sunt dracones"

Crossfire
Posts in topic: 1

Re: abcjmp redirect

Post by Crossfire »

Try running spybot. It's free, and it's good.

http://www.safer-networking.org/en/home/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Texas LTC Instructor, FFL, IdentoGO Fingerprinting Partner
http://www.Crossfire-Training.com

seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

What you have is a known problem. I don't see a simple solution posted on the web, other than scanning with several up-to-date antivirus programs.

You may have installed a browser toolbar that is hijacking your browser. Some of these "free" programs have nefarious "features."

If you are using Internet Explorer, I highly recommend using a different browser. Try Firefox, Google Chrome, or Apple Safari.

- Jim
Fear, anger, hatred, and greed. The devil's all-you-can-eat buffet.

GeekwithaGun
Posts in topic: 3

Post by GeekwithaGun »

My Wife's computer had the same problem, Google searches being redirected to rogue sites, not the link from google. I finally found a solution I have the link at home with instructions :banghead: , I'll look for it and if I can find it post it here...If not, then if you don't get the solution before I get home, I'll post it then.
NRA Life Member

Mithras61

Post by Mithras61 »

There's an extensive thread on CNet Forums here http://forums.cnet.com/5208-6132_102-0. ... w;forums06 that goes into how to remove this problem. There are essentially 3 anti- programs being suggested: MalwareBytes AntiMalware, Super Antispyware and Spybot Seach & Destroy. All of them are good anti-malware applications and seem to work well (yes, I use them all personally), and are either free or shareware (try it before you spend $$ on it) applications.

GeekwithaGun

Post by GeekwithaGun »

I don't have a PC with Firefox on it at work, so I will attempt to describe what I did to fix the problem:

I also used all the suggested antispyware, antivirus, malware cleaners and none found the problem. I did find a resolution that said a hidden plugin was installed that is causing it, so turning off the plugins or running firefox in safe mode (I can't remember how to get in that mode) should cause the behavior to stop. To fix permanently (if there is such a thing nowdays :grumble ), continue...

I found a similar solution that I have at home (still at work) but this does describe my problem and is similar to the fix approach I took.
http://www.malwarebytes.org/forums/inde ... topic=7467

If you search for files with a file extension of "XUL" (search for files *.XUL) on your harddrive, you will probably find it in a firefox directory named "chrome" or a subdirectory of chrome, possibly the path "Documents and Settings\my user name\Local Settings\Application Data\{33238016-EFEB-43AA-8BCE-3CA12861EE79}" (the folder {33238....} is specific to your PC and may not be the same). If you find the file, great, open it with notepad.exe and it will actually be java script you can read and see the redirect code, it has an "if" test to see if your searching on google.com, yahoo.com, and some other search engines. If it does not have this code, but more *.XUL files are found in the search, go to the next one and repeat. If none of the XUL files have the redirect code, then close the files and try the other malware, spyware scans as suggested.

If I get home and find the exact instructions I will again edit this post it here.

EDIT: Here is the link I really wanted to give http://spillspace.com/2009/new-firefox-virus/
Hope this works along with using all the other freeware to keep your computer clean :txflag:
NRA Life Member

GeekwithaGun

Post by GeekwithaGun »

geekwagun wrote:EDIT: Here is the link I really wanted to give http://spillspace.com/2009/new-firefox-virus/
Hope this works along with using all the other freeware to keep your computer clean :txflag:
NRA Life Member

WarHawk-AVG

Post by WarHawk-AVG »

Crossfire wrote:Try running spybot. It's free, and it's good.

http://www.safer-networking.org/en/home/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Malwarebytes

Spybot seems to hammer the in-browser stuff...Malwarebytes hammers trojans and other "programs" that aren't viruses but are malicious in nature...they are doing what they were written to do...so they aren't viruses

Google it and run it!
A sheepdog says "I will lead the way. I will set the highest standards. ...Your mission is to man the ramparts in this dark and desperate hour with honor and courage." - Lt. Col. Grossman
‘All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing’ - Edmond Burke

Topic author
Captain Matt

Post by Captain Matt »

Three well known antivirus programs found nothing. Ad-Aware complained about cookies but found nothing else wrong. Spybot Search and Destroy completely missed it. Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool was no help.

I finally fixed it with Combofix or MBAM. I'm not sure which tool caught the nasty bugger because by that time I was running 2-3 tools in a row before restarting Firefox to check for the Google search hijacking.

THANKS!
"hic sunt dracones"

WarHawk-AVG

Post by WarHawk-AVG »

MBAM??

Did you try Malwarebyes?

And yes..sometimes it takes running 2-3 cleaners back to back to fix stuff
A sheepdog says "I will lead the way. I will set the highest standards. ...Your mission is to man the ramparts in this dark and desperate hour with honor and courage." - Lt. Col. Grossman
‘All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing’ - Edmond Burke

Commander

Post by Commander »

Something that worked for me....I went into my router and entered abejmp.com as a website to be blocked.
"Happiness is a warm gun" - The Beatles - 1969

Commander

Return to “Technical Tips, Questions & Discussions (Computers & Internet)”