Question for php/web people. My first PHP script...

Most of us are not "computer people" so post your technical questions and comments here. If you have computer or Internet expertise, share it here.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
TexasComputerDude
Posts in topic: 5

Question for php/web people. My first PHP script...

Post by TexasComputerDude »

hey yall,

Well I got bored and finally decided to start learning php TODAY lol. It seems pretty straight forward and "simple" so far but I have a question for yall. I am by no means an expert at webdesign but I know some basic html and I was wondering if any of yall know of a quick script that I can place at the bottom of my code that will display the actual code so I don't have to keep logging into my my website to view my mistakes.

this is a link to my first program... http://www.torreznet.com/phpprograms/Ct ... ut/CtF.php

Its not much and I'm not even sure if my math is right as I last wrote a simple program like that years ago.

but basically my question is: can I display the .php file as a text file at the bottom of my webpage and can yall recommend any scripts that will do it. I'm learning this with a friend and it would be helpful if we could view each others code.
Glock 30 - main ccw

Topic author
TexasComputerDude

Re: Question for php/web people. My first PHP script...

This Uniform Server thing may be just the ticket. bluehost and satellite internet don't get along at all so this may speed up my php learning dramatically.
Glock 30 - main ccw

Topic author
TexasComputerDude

WOW! quick and painless install, took all of 5 minutes to install and run my first script. thanks a lot, this will help immensely and I can just zip the files I need to send my friend and he can run them painlessly as well.
Glock 30 - main ccw

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 1

Post by The Annoyed Man »

What developer tools are you using? I use Fetch for FTP, but then I'm on a Mac. One of the things it allows me to do is to edit files on the server without having to upload new versions. Highlighting a file on the server and then selecting "edit with..." from the contextual menu allows me to edit the file in DreamWeaver and save the changes directly to the server. Then simply reloading the file in my browser will reflect my changes - assuming I wrote the code correctly. I am assuming that there are Windows based FTP clients that permit you to do the same thing. (I haven't really bothered to keep up with what's available for Windows for a while now.)

FWIW, I've never been able to get the various WAMP/MAMP local drive solutions to work very well for me. They are a great idea, but there must be something I've done wrong in the installation. And it has been the same story regardless of whether I was working in Windows or Mac OS. So, editing files directly on the server, like I've been doing, seems to be the best thing for me.

Otherwise, I agree with Russell. Displaying your PHP code on the front end of the page would be a serious security breach, particularly if you're talking about connecting to mySQL or some other database.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
TexasComputerDude

well generally I don't have to use ftp that much. my webhost has a nice text editor built in. I've mainly used notepad for all my html and stuff.

I only just recently obtained a copy of dreamweaver and some of the other adobe stuff. I was trying to create some joomla templates with it.

I learn extremely fast on a computer so I should be up and running with all of this in no time.
Glock 30 - main ccw

Topic author
TexasComputerDude

but I will prob. start using FTP A WHOLE LOT more now that I can do more work on my home pc.
Glock 30 - main ccw

Return to “Technical Tips, Questions & Discussions (Computers & Internet)”