PC to TV

Most of us are not "computer people" so post your technical questions and comments here. If you have computer or Internet expertise, share it here.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Commander Cody
Posts in topic: 4

PC to TV

Post by Commander Cody »

I would like to connect my PC to my TV for a monitor. I have a 32” Samsung flat screen TV. Is there a SVGA receptacle on the TV and if so where is it?
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson USMC 1967-1970 101st. Underwater Mess Kit Repair Battalion - Spoon Platoon.

tacticool
Posts in topic: 1

Re: PC to TV

Post by tacticool »

Without knowing your TV, I think your best bet is probably HDMI. But remember that even 1080 is low resolution when compared with most computer monitors.
When in doubt
Vote them out!

RPB
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by RPB »

Commander Cody wrote:I would like to connect my PC to my TV for a monitor. I have a 32” Samsung flat screen TV. Is there a SVGA receptacle on the TV and if so where is it?
That's what I did with my 40" Samsung TV

You didn't state your model number, but most TVs have a PC/VGA connector with the blue VGA blue plug on the back ... just a typical monitor cord to the Video card's output just like it's a monitor

Doing it that way allows Picture in Picture if your model has that feature... On Samsung, with PIP, the big picture is computer, the small one is TV

I hooked up my Uncle's 42" Samsung with the HDMI, and his regular monitor to the monitor/ output on the video card because HIS newer video card had an HDMI output and mine didn't.

He can use either the monitor or the TV, and Dual screen/ stretched desktop across both etc ...but can't use the Picture in Picture.
(What he does in reality is use the monitor from the computer for Computer, and watches TV on the TV, ... I may as well not have bought the HDMI cable because he doesn't use it)
Last edited by RPB on Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

sugar land dave

Post by sugar land dave »

I use HDMI out on all my computers. 52" TV in bedroom, 46" LED TV in living room, and 32"LCD TV at work.
DPS Received Forms- 1/18/11 Online Status - 1/27/11 My Mailbox - 2/12/11
NRA Life Member

RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

I'm watching channel 7 myfoxaustin news on shooting wild boar from planes in the Picture in Picture small screen, while typing this on the main screen (using the monitor cable/vga/pc plug on back of the TV

But, I could have waited or watched it here without using PIP and using an HDMI cable http://www.myfoxaustin.com/dpps/news/lo ... n_15210228" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

Topic author
Commander Cody

Post by Commander Cody »

From you folk’s replies I think what I need is an adapter from the SVGA cable coming out of my computer to the HDMI cable to my TV. Is that the correct consensus? I think there may be a HDMI receptacle behind a door on the bottom of the TV, but I cannot get it open.
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson USMC 1967-1970 101st. Underwater Mess Kit Repair Battalion - Spoon Platoon.

Topic author
Commander Cody

Post by Commander Cody »

OK then, one more question (for now), where do I get what I need? I have found SVGA to DVI adapters on line, but no SVGA to HDMI adapters. I was hoping to find what I need at a common place like Radio Shack.

terryg
Posts in topic: 1

Post by terryg »

Commander Cody wrote:OK then, one more question (for now), where do I get what I need? I have found SVGA to DVI adapters on line, but no SVGA to HDMI adapters. I was hoping to find what I need at a common place like Radio Shack.
Nope, sorry. DVI-I connectors have analog pins in addition to the digital ones. This makes converting VGA (which is only analog) to DVI an easy cable. HDMI, on the other hand, only has digital pins. You won't find a VGA to HDMI cable because analog signals have to be converted to digital. This requires a powered device. They exist, buy you wont likely find them at Radio Shack.

Correction: Some VGA to HDMI cables do exist but they only work with special video cards that output digital signals on the VGA port. This means they wont likely work for you.

Here are a couple of options on Amazon:
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not endorsing either of these items, but I have used Atlona products before.
... this space intentionally left blank ...

Topic author
Commander Cody

Post by Commander Cody »

Thanks for the help guys. I found the hidden receptacle and have it working now. :cheers2:

sugar land dave

Post by sugar land dave »

Commander Cody wrote:Thanks for the help guys. I found the hidden receptacle and have it working now. :cheers2:
grats! :thumbs2:
DPS Received Forms- 1/18/11 Online Status - 1/27/11 My Mailbox - 2/12/11
NRA Life Member

Return to “Technical Tips, Questions & Discussions (Computers & Internet)”