Excel Spreadsheet converted to web page

Most of us are not "computer people" so post your technical questions and comments here. If you have computer or Internet expertise, share it here.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 2

Excel Spreadsheet converted to web page

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

I have the schedule for the 2009 TexasCHLforum Day at PSC on an Excel spreadsheet. When I try to save it as 1) a web page; or 2) a "single file web page" (.mht extension) and try to put it on the website, it doesn't render as a table, much less a color coded table.

If I can't figure out how to do it, I'll have to create the table and I'd rather not have to do that. I scanned it, but it looks pretty bad.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
Chas.

seamusTX
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Excel Spreadsheet converted to web page

Post by seamusTX »

I can turn it into a PDF in one minute.

Converting Excel to HTML is doable, but not always easy.

- Jim

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

I think one can open the spreadsheet in open office and oy can be saved as a .html file. Charles if you email the file to me I can try it. and se if it works
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

onecoolpilot

Post by onecoolpilot »

What version of office are you using? Saving the excel file as html should retain some of the styling. I have used it in the past to convert tables to html, with colors and custom fonts.

What does it look like when you publish it? what does it look like if you save it and open it in a browser?
Jeff

suthdj

Post by suthdj »

Not sure what software your using to make web pages but have you tried "Copy and Paste" into the GUI of an HTML editor. You could also try to paste into a word document and save it as html file.
21-Apr-09 filed online
05-Sep-09 Plastic Arrived
09-Sep-13 Plastic Arrived
21-june-18 Plasic Arrived

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

I'm using Office 2003 and it appears differently depending upon whether I save it as a "web page" (htm) or "single file web page" (mht ?) I tried a block copy into Komoto Edit and it does appear as a table, but the formatting is shot and the color was gone. It would have been faster to recreate it.

I just scanned it to a pdf file and put it on the website. People can set the size to their liking and it works. I was just surprised the conversion would not have been smoother.

Thanks guys,
Chas.

TxDrifter

Post by TxDrifter »

You could save it as XML and then use an XSLT to transform it to an HTML view. The next time you update the data, if the format hasn't changed, it will update the data in the page you view without further changes. The XSLT basically defines the format to display it in.

http://www.w3schools.com/xsl/default.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
USAF Veteran
Lifetime NRA Member
Do or do not, there is no try.
For those who fought for it, freedom has a taste the protected will never know.

AggieMM

Post by AggieMM »

Saving as a webpage in Excell doesn't always work right, as Micro$oft does weird things in the HTML. What I do is convert it to PDF, but I use an easy method, a "PDF Printer". Basically, you "print" in Excel, and it will save as PDF. Works very nicely.

Download PDFCreator 0.9.8

Opensource is awesome! :coolgleamA:

Ryan

GeekwithaGun

Post by GeekwithaGun »

AggieMM wrote:Saving as a webpage in Excell doesn't always work right, as Micro$oft does weird things in the HTML. What I do is convert it to PDF, but I use an easy method, a "PDF Printer". Basically, you "print" in Excel, and it will save as PDF. Works very nicely.

Download PDFCreator 0.9.8

Opensource is awesome! :coolgleamA:

Ryan
:iagree:
I use this as well
NRA Life Member

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

Actually opening it with Openoffice and then exporting as HTML or PDF directly actually does a pretty good job. While I do have Microsoft Office I haven't found much reason to use it, and it does a good job of handling different style files.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

TLE2

Post by TLE2 »

I'm late to the party, but copy to Word, you should be able to create HTML from Word easily.
Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... (Jefferson quoting Beccaria)

... tyrants accomplish their purposes ...by disarming the people, and making it an offense to keep arms. - Supreme Court Justice Joseph Story, 1840

Return to “Technical Tips, Questions & Discussions (Computers & Internet)”