M1911A1s coming to CMP? UPDATE!! 11/26/15

What's going on in Washington, D.C.?

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
ELB
Posts in topic: 4

M1911A1s coming to CMP? UPDATE!! 11/26/15

Post by ELB »

I thought I saw this already on this forum, but can't turn it up on a search, so:

http://mikerogers.house.gov/press-relea ... e-firearms" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Apr 30, 2015
(WASHINGTON, D.C.)—Congressman Mike Rogers made the following remarks after passage of the National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA) of 2016 out of the House Armed Services Committee (HASC), which included his amendment to allow the Army to transfer its surplus vintage firearms to the Civilian Marksmanship Program (CMP).

“As a gun owner and strong believer in the Second Amendment, my proposal is a common-sense approach to eliminating an unnecessary cost to the Federal government while allowing the very capable CMP to handle the sale of these vintage firearms that otherwise would just sit in storage. This amendment is a win – win for the taxpayer. I was pleased the amendment passed the committee and appreciate the support my colleagues on this proposal,” Rogers said.

Currently, the Army stores excess M1911A1 pistols, which used to be the standard U.S. Armed Forces sidearm, until it was replace by the Berretta 9mm pistol. Besides the 8,300 pistols that have been sold to law enforcement and transferred to foreign countries for a small price, the rest of the M1911A1 pistols are now being held in storage costing the taxpayer around $200,000 a year.

Transferring these vintage pistols to the CMP would allow them to inspect, grade, prepare for sale and sell these pistols. The CMP would reimburse the Army for costs associated with transferring the pistols. CMP South, headquartered in Anniston, Alabama, oversees sales. CMP North is headquartered in Camp Perry, Ohio.

The NDAA is expected to come to the House Floor in May.
I believe the CMP offices are in this Congressman's district.
Last edited by ELB on Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
USAF 1982-2005

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 1

Re: M1911A1s coming to CMP?

Post by Oldgringo »

I remember when one could buy 1911's, M1 Carbines and '03 Springfields from the DCM for less than $20 each. The gun would be shipped by Railway Express and the buyer would have to go to the choo-choo station to pick it up. :nopity

Of all the dumb things I've done in the past half century, one of the dumbest was getting a never issued '03-A4 Springfield with a Remington Star barrel through the DCM for <$20...and trading it or a '98 Mauser. Too soon we grow old, too late we grow smart. :banghead:

joe817

Post by joe817 »

Oh how I remember those days O.G.! Back in 1962 I bought an M-1 carbine from DCM for $16.50. How I loved that thing. Used to buy bandoleers of .30 ball ammo in stripper clips for $6.00 for 120 rounds. Sold it in '69 for $125.00 and thought I'd done really well. Little did I know, lol. And yes, it's amazing how much smarter my Dad got, as I got older. :lol:
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

Topic author
ELB

Post by ELB »

Weasels in the DoD/Army oppose the amendment....

http://onlygunsandmoney.blogspot.com/20 ... 4500533532" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A sample:
"There is a significant risk of approximately 100K semi-automatic handguns that are virtually untraceable, being released into commerce. Per DOJ, M1911 pistols are popular crime guns."
USAF 1982-2005

PBratton

Post by PBratton »

ELB wrote:Weasels in the DoD/Army oppose the amendment....

http://onlygunsandmoney.blogspot.com/20 ... 4500533532" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A sample:
"There is a significant risk of approximately 100K semi-automatic handguns that are virtually untraceable, being released into commerce. Per DOJ, M1911 pistols are popular crime guns."
baseball bats and knives are popular crime weapons as well...

Cars are a danger to pedestrians... Fire burns people...

Untraceable? I'm sure each and everyone would either have a factory serial number, (as my M1 Garand did), or get one engraved by the good folks at the CMP.
http://www.GeeksFirearms.com NFA dealer.
$25 Transfers in the Sugar Land, Richmond/Rosenburg areas, every 25th transfer I process is free

Active Military, Veterans, Law Enforcement, Fire, EMS receive $15 transfers.

NRA Patron Member, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, NRA Certified CRSO, Tx LTC Instructor

Topic author
ELB

Post by ELB »

Update here:

http://weaponsman.com/?p=23807" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
USAF 1982-2005

Topic author
ELB

Post by ELB »

Goodness Gracious, it actually happened:
On November 25th, 2015, President Barack Obama has signed into law the National Defense Authorization Act of 2016, included in which is a provision for the Civilian Marksmanship to sell 1911 handguns to the United States shooting public. The bill includes Section 1087, which allows the transfer of handguns from the United States Army to the Civilian Marksmanship program, and the subsequent distribution of those handguns to members of CMP-affiliated clubs:

- See more at: http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2015 ... d0X9k.dpuf
USAF 1982-2005

Vol Texan

Re: M1911A1s coming to CMP? UPDATE!! 11/26/15

Post by Vol Texan »

So, for the uninformed here - how do we go about buying some of these?
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

Keep an eye on http://www.thecmp.org. My guess is that it will take several months for them to get the pistols and get organized to start selling them.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

DevilDawg

Post by DevilDawg »

Vol Texan wrote:So, for the uninformed here - how do we go about buying some of these?
You need to be an active NRA member, and in one of their qualifying local clubs as well such as TSRA. You have to submit a packet and be approved by the CMP, and once on file you can order anytime you want.

However, keep in mind it is likely to take them nearly two years to process 100k pistols prior to sale. So I wouldn't be in a rush, not to mention that nostalgia would be the only reason to pick up one of these. Until we see a price point (carrot) these are still very used 1911 pistols (stick). There being 100's of new options available commercially, unlike the Garands. However, much like all of you, if the price is right I will probably buy one too.

gljjt

Post by gljjt »

Unfortunately, it looks like they are limited to selling 10,000 per year.

oohrah

Post by oohrah »

When I went to the CMP site, I didn't see anything about having to be an active NRA member, just a member of a qualifying club, which TSRA is.

Also, I have a M1911A1 made in 1944, and it still shoots perfectly, so I wouldn't be too concerned about wear and tear.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

jmorris

Post by jmorris »

Vol Texan wrote:So, for the uninformed here - how do we go about buying some of these?
Here are the eligibility requirements:
http://www.thecmp.org/cmp_sales/rifle_s ... uirements/

NRA is *not* listed as an affiliate club, TSRA is.

Something I just noticed is that a concealed carry license can be used as evidence of marksmanship training. Since not every state requires it that surprises me a bit.
Jay E Morris,
Guardian Firearm Training, NRA Pistol, LTC < retired from all
NRA Lifetime, TSRA Lifetime
NRA Recruiter (link)

Return to “Federal”