Concealed Carry OWB vs IWB? Your Opinions Requested

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

brian1973
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Concealed Carry OWB vs IWB? Your Opinions Requested

Post by brian1973 »

After reading through this post I decided to spend the money to buy a gun belt. It made a world of difference, I carry a sig p320c and with the flimsy belt it would shift and sag and needed regular adjustment and the grip never stayed tight up against my body, the gun belt changed all this. I use an IWB alien gear cloak tuck 3.0. I think I can actually wear one of my normal t-shirts now without being self conscious about printing. I also have a S&W 380 Bodyguard but have only carried it a couple times, with it I use a DeSantis IWB softuck holster.

glazer1972

Post by glazer1972 »

I've always carried iwb but I did purchase an owb holster for January. IWB just hides better for me and feels more secure.
Last edited by glazer1972 on Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

OWB for me.

IWB appears dreadfully uncomfortable, thus I've never even tried it.

wharvey

Post by wharvey »

Back when I first started carrying I was told that IWB was too uncomfortable but once I tried it I found that just not so. Gun placement is more critical but I can carry all day long with an IWB without even thinking about it. I've also carried OWB and the only thing I don't like about it is the cover garment has to be longer. It must cover several inches below waist band. While I don't plan on open carrying, at least not very often, I may start using OWB more but in all honesty, probably not.
Bill Harvey

License to Carry Handgun - Indiana, since Aug 1997
CHL - Texas, since Aug 2011

Cypresschick

Post by Cypresschick »

Can anyone recommend a comfortable holster for the HK VP9? I love my gun, but I'm a woman so need a good holster for it.

Jago668
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Jago668 »

Abraham wrote:OWB for me.

IWB appears dreadfully uncomfortable, thus I've never even tried it.
I've never carried OWB except for training. So while I have experience with both styles, it is extremely limited with OWB. IWB is less comfortable than OWB; however I wouldn't say dreadfully so. Kind of like wearing a tie. As long as you don't draw it too tight, and your shirt collar is the right size there isn't any problem with it. Less comfortable than open collar and no tie, but not extremely so.
NRA Benefactor Member

IsraelisJewish

Post by IsraelisJewish »

Try a shoulder holster. You gotta try them, they are terrific.
David (IsraelisJewish)
SunnyWalker.net

Idratherbecamping

Post by Idratherbecamping »

The Annoyed Man wrote:I am a man of somewhat "prosperous" dimensions (although I've lost 84.3 lbs since March 8th), and I've carried OWB for years now and have no trouble concealing a full sized gun (Glock 17, these days). It is way more comfortable. And as others have said, the secret is a REAL gunbelt, not just some random heavy leather belt. It's not just the materials or the thickness, it is how they are constructed that makes the difference.
AM-What owb holster do you use with your Glock 17? I'm looking for a good owb retention holster and am also "Prosperous"! Congrats on weight loss.
Lead, Follow, or Get Out of the Way!
Glock 17, because a six shooter doesn't hold enough bullets the way I shoot!
:patriot:

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

Cypresschick wrote:Can anyone recommend a comfortable holster for the HK VP9? I love my gun, but I'm a woman so need a good holster for it.
This link should give you a good place to start your search.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

IsraelisJewish

Post by IsraelisJewish »

I just purchased a relatively inexpensive I holster for Bersa .389 made by Quest. I have as yet to actually try it out as I am on the road. Can't chl while working - I work for the State of TX. I give a word on after I get home. I am still finding my way on the holster issue. One thing I know, I like the chl style leather vest I got at Antelope Leather at Borger TX.
David (IsraelisJewish)
SunnyWalker.net

Return to “New to CHL?”