Hello Everyone...

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
jcharro
Posts in topic: 1

Hello Everyone...

Post by jcharro »

I'm new to CHL and just got my plastic this past Friday. I was a nervous wreck going out to eat with my family and doing some shopping. But after a while you get peace of mind knowing that little card and all the range visits, including the great training I received at the CHL course, I will be able to protect myself and my family if any situation arises if our lives are put in danger.
I have been a victim once too many times, working nights in Northeast Dallas getting a knife put to my neck and taking everything that I had worked for that night. I promised myself I would do everything to protect myself next time any crazy thug tries to do this again to me or my family. My sister an my mom have gotten their purses snatched in brought daylight, not once, not twice, but three times. They are now taking their CHL training.
My brothers neighbors got their door knocked down by punks with bandanas over their faces and held them with knife and bats on their floor while they ran sacked the house to get away with all their cash and some electronics. (Undocumented Immigrants) are afraid to open bank accounts of fear of INS or ICE finding them so they keep all cash hidden at their home. My brother could do nothing all he had was a remote in his hand a bag of chips in the other. He now owns 3 firearms.
Some people may think I don’t need to carry at all… but they have never fallen victim like my family has. I am happy with my decision.
Last edited by jcharro on Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Longhornfan69

Re: Hello Everyone...

Post by Longhornfan69 »

Welcome to the forum, I applaud your decision to get licensed and carry a weapon to protect your family and yourself from any harm.

Mike
M&P 9c
M&P 45c

achennau

Post by achennau »

Welcome from N. Texas
Andy C.
Taurus PT 24/7 G2 .45acp
Taurus PT 140 Millenium Pro .40 S&W
Shoot low Sheriff, he's ridin a Shetland!!!

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

Glad you are here -- WELCOME!
jcharro wrote:My sister an my mom have gotten their purses snatched in brought daylight, not once, not twice, but three times. They are now taking their CHL training.
:shock: Wow, when they get their CHL, be sure to recommend they do not carry their handgun in their purse! :shock:
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

cougartex

Post by cougartex »

Welcome from SE Texas. :tiphat:
Cougars are shy, reclusive, and downright mysterious... :txflag:

Tbucher1218

Post by Tbucher1218 »

Welcome :patriot:
02/27/12 Online App
06/06/12 Plastic in Hand. 71 Days!

The Marshal

Post by The Marshal »

Wow. Sorry your family has had so much trouble with the criminal element in Dallas.

Welcome to the forum! Remember, there are no stupid questions, even if we have heard them before. ;)

kjolly

Post by kjolly »

Even more important than having your CHL and carrying is awarness of your surroundings. Sounds like your family might live in a rough area.
The fight avoided is the best way of winning.
As stated if the women folk do get their lic do not carry the gun in handbags. Then the crimminals get the guns also.
Spmetimes a good tactic can be to have a money clip to throw on ground and distract assailents while you have a chance to get gun.
Texas CHL Instructor, NRA Certified Trainer, IDPA
NRA Range Safety Officer

http://www.tacticalpistol.us

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

I recommend to move to a better neighborhood.
Welcome aboard.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

FishInTx

Post by FishInTx »

jcharro wrote: I am happy with my decision.

Welcome aboard. I'm glad we're able to make that decision!

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Beiruty wrote:I recommend to move to a better neighborhood.
Welcome aboard.
Welcome, and I agree with Beiruty. I realize that rough neighborhoods may be cheaper to live in, and possibly you or your family have income issues which might impose that choice on them, but it seems to me that getting robbed costs a lot of money too (not to mention the health risks from lead poisoning), so maybe its just a tradeoff to live somewhere safer. I hope that you and your family will be able to do that.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

TexasGal

Post by TexasGal »

Congratulations on you decision to defend yourself :tiphat: It certainly does sound like you and yours have had an unfortunate number of run-ins with criminals. Moving to a "safer" area sounds like a plan, but we know that is not always possible.

I don't know your background, but for the sake of this important need being part of your decisions please consider getting some tactical training. Feeling safer with a gun does not actually translate to being that much safer unless there is training to go with it. You will be putting down a foundation of doing things the right way and that is far better than trying to correct a bad habit later. Every time you draw, shoot, etc, you are practicing. I know plenty of people who own guns and yet do not even remember the last time they went to the range. I read somewhere that it takes 3000 repetitions for you to be able react and manipulate your gun accurately in an emergency(muscle memory) and then it takes regular practice to retain the ability. In an adrenaline rush, your senses and dexterity change dramatically and the training or lack of it can make a huge difference in the outcome. Even reading the posts on this forum is a form of training your mind to consider a lot of different things. A gun is simply a tool. I like the saying that buying a violin does not make you a musician. Learning to play, though, is a lot more fun with the gun :biggrinjester:
The Only Bodyguard I Can Afford is Me
Texas LTC Instructor Cert
NRA Life Member

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Welcome aboard and congratulations on the plastic!

How did you find the forum?
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

g31357

Post by g31357 »

welcome

Return to “New to CHL?”