First carry

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
xaggie95
Posts in topic: 2

First carry

Post by xaggie95 »

Well, I decided today would be the first day of my new lifestyle. I woke up like any other Saturday and put on my shorts, tshirt and flip flops.
I had some errands to run at multiple places this morning so I thought what better time than NOW to strap on my piece and GO! With multiple checks in the mirror I holstered my G26 and was trying to find the best position (printing and comfort) for the morning.

Also taking my time entering these facilities looking for signage was an experience to say the least.

I decided that 10 o'clock (I'm a lefty) would be the spot. First stop was my neighborhood coffee shop. Talk about head on a swivel. Heart racing about printing was something else.
Cashier and I said our hellos, made the transaction and I went on my way. Back in the car I couldn't help but feel a sense of relief.

Second stop was my dry cleaners, also nothing really to report.

Third stop was the local sporting good store. With attendants at the front door to greet you I couldn't help but notice their eyes gaze all over me. They have had some incidents at this location with armed robberies so I can understand their need for added eyes (security). I went to the ammo section and picked up some shotgun shells and pistol ammo. All in all the experience was a good one.

At this point my heartbeat is slowing down and I'm not as nervous as I was starting the morning off.

Lastly I stopped at my grocery store. With plenty of people around I knew this is where I would get nervous. Picking up things at the various aisles I happened to pass by a very old women. She said "excuse me sir", at this point my heart was racing and I couldn't have made this part up even if I tried. She needed some help reaching a box of cereal on the upper shelf. I strategically raised my opposite hand up to get the box all the time conscious about where the weapon was and preventing the print. I had decided if it was to high I would politely tell the lady it is too high even for me and to ask an employee for assistance. I gave her the box and went on my way. I cashed out and made my way back to the car and house.

All in all I was very pleased and became comfortable as morning went on. I am still carrying in the house while I type this and starting to understand the "i forget its there" comments some of the folks around here have. I will say that getting in and out of the car was not the most comfortable thing for this carry position. I think that with continued wear I will find the right spot.

As they say, always a first time!
:txflag:

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 1

Re: First carry

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Good on you. I'm too fat for appendix carry. Don't worry though. Pretty soon you'll feel naked without it.

BTW, I'm a lefty too.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

45 4 life

Post by 45 4 life »

Yea, I have been carrying for many years now, and I still get all of those feelings. Heart racing, pulse pounding, head on a swivel, looks like evverybody is looking at me, measuring me up.

Of course I only have those now days when I am forced to go into a gun free zone, and I am not armed.
Don't Confuse the Issues With the Facts

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Good first day. You might find that 8-9 o'clock end up being more comfortable for moving around and getting in and out of the car.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Jaguar

Post by Jaguar »

The Annoyed Man wrote:Good on you. I'm too fat for appendix carry. Don't worry though. Pretty soon you'll feel naked without it.

BTW, I'm a lefty too.

Do you still call it appendix carry when the appendix is on the right? :biggrinjester:
"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -- James Madison

ffemt300

Post by ffemt300 »

Ive been playing around with my carry too. Still haven't got my plastic just yet though. :grumble I got a remora holster and so far i really like it. I'm a lefty as well and a fat kid to boot. I'm most comfortable at around 9ish with a bit of a cant.

stealthfightrf17

Post by stealthfightrf17 »

Sounds like it went good. You will get more comfertable with it in time. Atleast for me, I decided not worry to much about it. Most people are sheep grazing through life and don't notice anything around them.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Jaguar wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:Good on you. I'm too fat for appendix carry. Don't worry though. Pretty soon you'll feel naked without it.

BTW, I'm a lefty too.

Do you still call it appendix carry when the appendix is on the right? :biggrinjester:
Maybe he has situs inversus.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Reds45ACP

Post by Reds45ACP »

I know the feeling. I just got mine as well. Went for a walk to get the mail (central mail boxes about .75 miles from the house) and felt oddly conspicuous.

I'm also a lefty but I spend a decent time sitting and getting in and out of cars. I have a nice Crossbreed IWB that I use just a tad back from the 9 o'clock (8:45?). It's comfortable and still allows a clean draw.
Hello. My name is Red and I used to carry a .45. Now I carry a 9mm and it's getting easier to admit every day.

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

I still call it appendix :tiphat:
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

fenster

Post by fenster »

I think you will find there are certain advantages to appendix carry, especially as a new carrier. you may have identified these already, but I will list them out. ..because I just like lists
- your cover garment rarely raises up, and gets hung to where it exposes your piece. if you want to check, it is a very natural looking motion to do so by touch.
- it's hard to not bend forward when going about your business. when you do so with 10/1:00 carry, no printing to worry about. and for the new carrier, the print worries tend to loom large.
- it's common to worry frequently that your piece and/or holster has come out of position. with appendix carry this rarely occurs, and when it does, a check is very discreet
- when getting into and out of your vehicle, and carrying on the hip, you are not conditioned at first to having an extra inch or so of gear added to your width. this means that for a while, bonking your piece into the door frame is not too uncommon.

with these pros is a particularly large added risk: accidently discharging your piece when drawing or holstering will have severe consequences. if you haven't already, I would emphatically recommend many draw-dryfire-reholster repetitions. reserve 10 minutes in the morning and at night and work on this over and over. practice clearing your cover garment with the weak hand, gaining grip with exaggerated trigger finger discipline, draw, extension, alignment, click. then slow, careful reholster again with trigger finger discipline. repeat slowly til smooth, then keep repeating to where your hands just take care of it.

:thumbs2:

Topic author
xaggie95

Post by xaggie95 »

practice clearing your cover garment with the weak hand, gaining grip with exaggerated trigger finger discipline, draw, extension, alignment, click. then slow, careful reholster again with trigger finger discipline. repeat slowly til smooth, then keep repeating to where your hands just take care of it.
Yep.. been doing that. I'm waiting on a better iwb holster to arrive, but will be practicing more when that one comes in. I have an inexpensive uncle mikes that is super comfortable, but would not carry with one in the chamber with this holster. Personally I think I will only do that with a kydex holster.
Last edited by xaggie95 on Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

74novaman

Post by 74novaman »

Congrats. Soon it will become second nature to carry, and you'll feel naked when you don't.
TANSTAAFL

91wm6

Post by 91wm6 »

I have only been carrying for a month and believe me I'm a lot more comfortable now than I was the first day. My first time carrying was at walmart and I actually bought a button up shirt to wear over my T shirt cuz I was just sure I was printing ...

Return to “New to CHL?”