Ladies, need advice for revolver purchase

Issues important to the ladies, with men and women welcome.

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Jeremae
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Ladies, need advice for revolver purchase

Post by Jeremae »

1. Take Charles up on his offer. He is an excellent teacher.
2. PSC (Pearland Shooting Club check out website ) has a great women's program
3. Look into a 22lr pistol as starter and training gun. I probably shoot 20 times as much ammo from my Ruger mkIII 22/45 as I do from my 1911 and a baby could rack the slide on it. In fact I taught a 6 year old to do it.
4. Take Charles up on his offer real soon.
Reasonable gun control is hitting your target with the first shot.

Divided Attention

Post by Divided Attention »

I would go shoot with Charles, :mrgreen: have been to some lectures with him and he just makes you feel comfortable from the get go.

Don't know what type of .357 you have but throw some .38 target loads in - as long as it is not an airweight that should make perceived recoil a lot less. Make sure she gets the proper grip.

What about starting with a .22? You can learn all the mechanics without worrying about developing a flinch if she is sensitive to recoil. We have a 1911-22 that runs much like any SA and has the mag release etc. It is great for practice!

If you were closer I'd say come on out, I would let her try all my "options". I grew up on revolvers, but they are not my go to for carry. SA hides easier, and now that I have gotten over the intimidation factor of them having more parts I am more comfortable having my side arm hold more than 6 and I can reload them a LOT faster. I do have a snubbie, but she is more of a safe queen, fun shooter that I desperately need to practice with more if I will carry as a primary - she is a BUG some though.

The ladies groups will have "gun show days" or how to choose your side arm classes where they get to try on different guns. They are like shoes or underwear. If they don't "fit" they will spend time in the closet or drawer. Us "gals" have issues that guys don't have to deal with, and my hubby is VERY patient and supportive, but can not understand some of the fashion and anatomical issues ladies have to deal with because he is a guy (for this I am thankful :biggrinjester: )

Wish you the best in your journey, and to me that is what it is. For some longer than others, but due to the nature of the trip, safety and patience is imperative.
:woohoo
Blessed be the LORD, my rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle; Psalm 144:1-2
CHL - 2010; NRA RSO - 2011, NRA Chief RSO - 2014
NRA Pistol Instructor -2013, NRA Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor - 2015
Lifetime NRA Member - 2013

JustMe
Posts in topic: 3

Post by JustMe »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:[
JustMe wrote:See if there is a chapter of A Girl & A Gun anywhere near you. The facilitators are all NRA instructors and we are accustomed to working with women who have never even picked up a gun before! And she will get a chance to practice & learn in a supportive, encouraging environment without any pressure.
But then you throw in this.

Chas.
Hey--couldn't help it!! Trying to hook her up with Tracey and pushing A Girl & A Gun!! It's the Facilitator in me!! And sometimes it IS fun to shoot with no guys around--then we don't have to watch what we say to each other (that guys just WOULDN:T understand!!)

The best instructor/TC I've had is a man--and the worse ones I've had have been men also! Guess which one I go to!!
Mary Ellis
TX CHL Instructor NRA Instuctor--Basic Pistol,Basic Rifle, Basic Shotgun, RTBAV,Home Firearm Safety,Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection outside the Home. ,RSO, CRSO,TP&&W Hunter Ed Instructor

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

Take Charles up--right away--on his offer. He's a very busy guy, and one of the best instructors you'll ever meet. But based on his schedule I suspect this offer may have a shelf-life. ;-)

It's a bit of a drive down I-45 from Conroe to Pearland, but let me chime in with the recommendation of PSC. The PSC women's-only program is superb and one to which I've sent several new female shooters. No men are allowed anywhere near the line, and it's a wonderful way to introduce new women shooters to the range. They even have Ruger .22s for women who don't have their own guns.

Too, longtime NRA Training Counselor Marc Gentine teaches out of PSC, and he offers some of the finest and lowest-cost NRA classes in the area (http://www.argenttraining.com/).

I understand that, for some women new to shooting, instructor gender might matter. And I'll note that, as a male, I've also trained under some stellar female instructors: I've taken classes from Vicki Farnam and Donna Vandermolen, among others.

I had the privilege of nominating Donna for the national NRA Marion P. Hammer Woman of Distinction Award, which she won in 2009.

For me, firearms instruction of any kind comes down to three criteria: experience, communication skills, and credentials, in that order.

Try this checklist:
  • Has your instructor demonstrably done this successfully many times before (i.e., several years, not months)?
  • Does your instructor have superior skills in speaking, listening, understanding, and communicating?
  • Does your instructor have the minimum--or more--credentials/certifications needed to teach the course?
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Topic author
XDSConcealer
Posts in topic: 12

Post by XDSConcealer »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:Since you are in the Houston area, I'd be happy to meet you and your wife at PSC and let her shoot a variety of revolvers and semi-autos to see what she likes best. Then she can decide on formal training.

Let me know if you are interested.
Chas.
WOW! Very generous offer and I think we will take you up on it. What a community!

Thank you everyone for your input and suggestions. I must say, I'm kind of kicking myself for being a lurker for so long and not joining the forums sooner. THANKS!
8/13 - Mailed Packet
9/4 - DPS Received Packet, BG under Review
9/20-9/22 - Manufacturing Pending, Manufacturing, Mailed
9/29 - Plastic in hand

MeMelYup
Posts in topic: 2

Post by MeMelYup »

Songbird wrote:Along with finding a good instructor and taking a CHL class and/or basic pistol safety and operation class, I would recommend finding a range where she has the opportunity to rent and shoot several firearms, both revolvers and semi-autos. As for racking the slide, I have small, fairly weak hands with some arthritis, and I can rack anything I can get my hands on since I was taught how to make it easier. A revolver may be what she ends up deciding on, but she needs to have the opportunity to gain some hands-on experience before making that decision/purchase. Best of luck to you both!
Pls what is your trick to racking the slide. My wife has rheumatoid arthritis in both hands and cannot rack the slide on any of my guns 22-40 cal.

Topic author
XDSConcealer

Post by XDSConcealer »

MeMelYup wrote:
Songbird wrote:Along with finding a good instructor and taking a CHL class and/or basic pistol safety and operation class, I would recommend finding a range where she has the opportunity to rent and shoot several firearms, both revolvers and semi-autos. As for racking the slide, I have small, fairly weak hands with some arthritis, and I can rack anything I can get my hands on since I was taught how to make it easier. A revolver may be what she ends up deciding on, but she needs to have the opportunity to gain some hands-on experience before making that decision/purchase. Best of luck to you both!
Pls what is your trick to racking the slide. My wife has rheumatoid arthritis in both hands and cannot rack the slide on any of my guns 22-40 cal.
This was mentioned earlier, you might see if this helps.

http://www.corneredcat.com/Rack_the_Slide/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It helped my wife chamber a gun but she's still working on locking the slide back.
8/13 - Mailed Packet
9/29 - Plastic in hand

BigGuy

Post by BigGuy »

My wife has the same problem. We finally found the gun we were looking for. It's a Walther PK380.
It's an "interesting" gun. There were a lot of negative comments on it in the stores where we were checking them out. Mostly about things like where the safety and magazine ejector is located. If fact, some of the most uncharitable remarks came from guys who obviously knew guns, as they tried unsuccessfully to eject the magazine.
I understand why a lot of shooters wouldn't like the pistol because of the way it feels in your hand. Also, there is a definitely hard spot as you pull the trigger in DA. Those are known issues we can live with. I don't really see how you're going to get much accuracy on that first shot if you go DA, rather than cocking it. But it's fairly easy to cock, and the subsequent trigger pulls are very light.
Reviews I read say it doesn't kick very hard and doesn't climb, making target reacquisition easier. I'll know this weekend.
The issue for my wife was a semi-auto she could operate with her severe arthritis. This has a light single action trigger, and the slide racks very easily. It can be fired double action with the hammer down, or single action with the hammer cocked. It has an ambidextrous safety and magazine ejector. It's slightly larger than my LCP, but the grip is small enough that she can comfortably get her finger on the trigger.
We'll start burning rounds with it until she feel comfortable that she can qualify for a CHL. Maybe in a month or two.

Note - This from a poster on the pistol forum:
Mostly negative comments about durability and reliability, the general feeling seeming to be that the gun's design, like the P22, owes more to Walther's parent company, Umarex, than it does to Walther proper, and that it seems built to a price point. Like I said, though, I have no extensive hands-on experience with the gun, although these opinions come from people whose opinions on them I trust and match my casual impressions gleaned from handling display pieces.
In my wife's case, this is about her only choice. We've looked at a lot of gun over the last 6 months. This is simply the only one she had a chance of using. I'll let you know my impression of the durability and reliability as we use it more.

SewTexas

Post by SewTexas »

I believe Cornered Cat is where I read the technique I use to 'rack the slide' on my gun. Basically, I hold the gun in my right hand, grip the slide in my left (carefully...keeping my hand and fingers away from any "biting bits"), now push the gun toward the left hand firmly.

I will say this....I qualified with a semi, but I carried a revolver for at least a year, maybe longer. It's a much bigger gun than my LCP, very heavy. Buy they just made more sense to me. Guess I've grown up in the last couple of years :oops:

if she really wants a revolver, you might look at the LCR, it's little, easy to conceal
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

Songbird

Post by Songbird »

MeMelYup wrote:
The "Cornered Cat" article mentioned earlier is a good one. She refers to what I do as the "Overhand" method. My instructor's way of explaining it was to use the force of both hands pushing against each other - cuts the effort you have to put forth in half. With the more traditional "Slingshot" method, you're basically holding the firearm with your strong hand (not exerting much force) and pulling the slide back with your weak hand.
CHL Class 1/13/12
Plastic in hand 2/27/12

steve817

Post by steve817 »

XDSConcealer wrote: I appreciate the feedback but she just doesn't have the hand strength to rack the slide. I agree with you that I like the feel of the semi-auto's a lot better but if she can't chamber a round then what's the point? I figured starting her off with a 380 revolver so something like that she will gain some confidence. Further, loading, unloading and pulling the hammer back to shoot should be easier for her. I bought a 32 auto for her thinking that would be a great starter gun for her (Kel-Tec) and she can't pull the slide at all.

She's tried my XD-40 and my XDS and she just doesn't have the strength. Aside from starting a workout program that consists of adding semi-auto racking I'm hoping to get some thoughts on firearms to at least get her started.

Thanks!
Her lack of strength may be overcome by modifying her mechanics. Watch her, is she holding the gun in her strong hand then trying to pull the slide back with her weak hand?

If she is in fact doing that, have her hold the slide stationary with her weak hand and then push forward on the pistol grip with her strong hand. When she has pushed as far as she can go, then she can let go of the slide. It worked for my wife. :thumbs2:
"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.."
-- Ronald Reagan

QB

Post by QB »

Hopefully she'll gain some confidence, may just take some time and the right circumstances/environment. My best friend went to the range a few times with me but declined to shoot (noise, recoil, fear of the unknown, etc). I didn't push her but did go out and purchase a .22 for her to try at the range. She agreed to try it out and really started to enjoy our outings.

One day she was watching me shoot a couple of Colt Special Combats (.45ACP and .38 Super) and actually asked to try the .45ACP. After familiarizing herself with the gun she loaded it and proceeded to drill out the bullseye!!! She turned to me and said "I really love this one". And the rest is history....she purchased a Colt Special Combat of her own and got her TX CHL.

She has a fondness for the .45ACP round because of it's "slow push". She can also rack the slide easily whereas she has issues with any blowback design and some of the smaller 9mms. As far as 9mms go.....she does love her Glock 34 (3rd gen).

Years later she confessed that she only wanted to shoot the Colt because it was "pretty".......it is all hard chrome and is indeed beautiful....ha ha.
"You may find me one day dead in a ditch somewhere. But by God, you'll find me in a pile of brass."~~ Tpr. M. Padgett

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

QB wrote:Hopefully she'll gain some confidence, may just take some time and the right circumstances/environment. My best friend went to the range a few times with me but declined to shoot (noise, recoil, fear of the unknown, etc). I didn't push her but did go out and purchase a .22 for her to try at the range. She agreed to try it out and really started to enjoy our outings.
A .22LR is a great round for people to learn to shoot. For rifle and pistol, for men and woman, for boys and girls and for the young and old. :tiphat:
NRA Endowment Member

urnoodle

Post by urnoodle »

I'm not as tiny as your wife but I have small hands and I am very weak. So when I started I could not rack a slide. A range officer showed me to push the frame instead of pulling the slide. I haven't found one I can't rack now. She may just need to be shown an alternate method to rack it. It's surprising how easy it is doing it this way.
U R Noodle
CHL since 1/26/2012 - 41 days mailbox to mailbox

Topic author
XDSConcealer

Post by XDSConcealer »

Thank you, all, for the great suggestions and advice. My wife is really getting excited about meeting with Charles Cotton tomorrow so that is an excellent sign she's getting over some of her apprehension. I'll be sure to report back on how things go.

Thanks, again!
8/13 - Mailed Packet
9/29 - Plastic in hand

Return to “Ladies”