Dum Spiro, Spero

Killadocg23
Posts in topic: 2

Re: 147th Annual NRA Meeting in Dallas

Post by Killadocg23 »

cyphertext wrote:
RicoTX wrote:
flechero wrote:
no Jason812, not directed towards you at all and I share your question of what will be off limits. I also want to see him but I'm not driving myself so have no outside storage option.
My comment was the one he was referring too...I respect your opinion, but we differ.

I'm not saying Pence shouldn't have security. I'm saying that by having him speak at the largest gathering of 2A supporters, but not allowing good guys to carry guns makes our entire argument weak. We should not put ourselves in this situation. He could have done this remotely without saying why and accomplished the same thing. Now the left will be saying that even the republicans don't trust good guys with a gun. And they will be correct. They could have simply allowed only LTC members and recip states... would u still have a problem with that? Do they not trust LTC members either? It doesn't matter that the SS would say no...it just makes us look like hypocrites...in this instance we are. It doesn't matter if it's the person or the office... the message is the VP is more important than the 2A. Is he? Is the office?

The optics of this are simply terrible... and could have been avoided.

However, while I won't be going...I hope it is a large crowd and that his speech has some kind of impact...even if he is preaching to the choir....well the disarmed choir anyway :mrgreen:
In a room full of people, how do you know who is a "good guy"? Does it come stamped on their forehead or something? Just because someone has a carry permit does not necessarily make them a good guy. Look at the recent shootings... many of those folks passed a background check and purchased their guns legally... but were they "good guys"?

What if the convention was being held in a state like Arizona that has constitutional carry? How would you vet the "good guys"? Do you believe that every single person in attendance at the NRA convention is a "good guy"? That whole argument is weak to begin with. Many of the recent shooters were folks who passed background checks and had their firearms legally... in other words, vetted as "good guys"...
Couldn't have said it better ! If you are so upset that you cant carry your firearm in the room then dont go! Its really that simple.

Killadocg23

Post by Killadocg23 »

Grundy1133 wrote:I feel like this would be equivalent to if someone who claimed to be vegan, went to speak at the largest vegan convention in the country, and walked in eating an ultimate bacon cheeseburger...
Terrible analogy ! A bacon cheese burger cant hurt anybody!!

Grundy1133
Posts in topic: 14

Post by Grundy1133 »

Killadocg23 wrote:
Grundy1133 wrote:I feel like this would be equivalent to if someone who claimed to be vegan, went to speak at the largest vegan convention in the country, and walked in eating an ultimate bacon cheeseburger...
Terrible analogy ! A bacon cheese burger cant hurt anybody!!
It gives people heart attacks. let's all boycott mcdonalds! :smilelol5:
NRA Member

carlson1
Posts in topic: 4

Post by carlson1 »

Fox 4 news just reported that President Donald Trump will join the VP at the convention. They said it would be his third consecutive address to the NRA annual meeting. Guns will not be allowed.

Grundy1133
Posts in topic: 14

Post by Grundy1133 »

carlson1 wrote:Fox 4 news just reported that President Donald Trump will join the VP at the convention. They said it would be his third consecutive address to the NRA annual meeting. Guns will not be allowed.
I won't be attending.
NRA Member

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 15

Post by Pawpaw »

I hope Trump is going to address the Leadership Forum, like Pence, instead of the Annual Meeting.

I have been looking forward to attending my first meeting and sharing it with my grandson. He & I are riding the DART train in and staying thru the Charlie Daniels event. I'm not willing to be disarmed all that time and distance.

I would enjoy seeing the President, but the potential price is too high.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Flightmare
Posts in topic: 12

Post by Flightmare »

Pawpaw wrote:I hope Trump is going to address the Leadership Forum, like Pence, instead of the Annual Meeting.

I have been looking forward to attending my first meeting and sharing it with my grandson. He & I are riding the DART train in and staying thru the Charlie Daniels event. I'm not willing to be disarmed all that time and distance.

I'm going to be doing the same...minus the Charlie Daniels event. I'd love to go, just too much going on.
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Pawpaw wrote:I hope Trump is going to address the Leadership Forum, like Pence, instead of the Annual Meeting.

I’ve heard that the same will be true for Pence’s keynote speech - guns will not be allowed. I believe that is a secret service decision, not the NRA’s.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

The Annoyed Man wrote:

I’ve heard that the same will be true for Pence’s keynote speech - guns will not be allowed. I believe that is a secret service decision, not the NRA’s.
Currently, the NRA-ILA Leadership Forum on the 4th carries the statement that weapons will not be allowed due to the VP being there.

The Annual Meeting of Members on the 5th does not currently have any such statement.

It would be very disappointing if the Annual Meeting were also restricted due to the President speaking. It's probably just a pipe dream, though. I don't think both the President and VP would speak at the same event. Both of them being there at the same time would probably be considered too risky.

EDIT: According to the Dallas Snooze, they will both speak on Friday: https://www.dallasnews.com/news/politic ... las-friday
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Liberty
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Liberty »

Those who resent Pence attending the Leadership commitee meeting, Might want to consider just how bad we need allies in Washington DC. I don't understand the issue, If you don't want or can't disarm then just don't go to that particular meeting. You can catch the speech later on UTube, There will be plenty to do at the convention and Pence speech will be a very small part of it. I wonder how much could be accomplished by just a simple informal conversation with someone like Dana Loesch over the Post office issues. Lots of government policy is developed at cocktail parties and informal dinners.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

flowrie

Post by flowrie »

According to Fox4News this morning, no weapons allowed during the NRAAM on Friday, due to POTUS and VPOTUS speaking.
I think this is incorrect, should not have any bearing on the exhibit hall, just the forum area.
but does anyone have the latest and greatest from the NRA on this ? Any changes?
Former NRA Life Member
1911 fan

twomillenium
Posts in topic: 4

Post by twomillenium »

Liberty wrote:Those who resent Pence attending the Leadership commitee meeting, Might want to consider just how bad we need allies in Washington DC. I don't understand the issue, If you don't want or can't disarm then just don't go to that particular meeting. You can catch the speech later on UTube, There will be plenty to do at the convention and Pence speech will be a very small part of it. I wonder how much could be accomplished by just a simple informal conversation with someone like Dana Loesch over the Post office issues. Lots of government policy is developed at cocktail parties and informal dinners.
Due to all the confusion and weirdness of information that seems to occur anytime something happens in Dallas, I have decided to cancel my hotel reservations and stay home and watch the Grandson's 6 year old baseball game. At least, he and his teammates are into doing their best for one another and listen to what the team needs are.
I have been to several NRA conventions, they are fun to be at and a lot to see but very little is accomplished other than renewing mailing list so that the NRA can send you letters that say it is your fault if the country fails because you did not send the NRA extra money.
Just my take on it. I still support the NRA for what it stands for and the overall good that it does. I do think that they are more interested with how to collect more money than the reason they need the money. Again, just my take.
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

Liberty wrote:Those who resent Pence attending the Leadership commitee meeting, Might want to consider just how bad we need allies in Washington DC. I don't understand the issue, If you don't want or can't disarm then just don't go to that particular meeting. You can catch the speech later on UTube, There will be plenty to do at the convention and Pence speech will be a very small part of it. I wonder how much could be accomplished by just a simple informal conversation with someone like Dana Loesch over the Post office issues. Lots of government policy is developed at cocktail parties and informal dinners.
I never said a word about not going at all. I just won't be able to disarm for the Annual Meeting of Members. We will still be there.

magillapd
Posts in topic: 5

Post by magillapd »

All that needs to happen is the NRA needs to get clairification from the secret service that they will not be banning firearms from the exibit hall.

That's it. That would clear up the confusion.

If exibit hall good to go...will be there at 9am Friday. If not, I'll go to gun range instead.

NRA, clear up the confusion for us!
Last edited by magillapd on Wed May 02, 2018 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
“I know you think you understand what you thought I said but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant”
NRA- Life member :patriot:
TSRA - Conditional Life Member :txflag:

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”