22 caliber qualification

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
thetexan
Posts in topic: 1

22 caliber qualification

Post by thetexan »

Where is the rule stating that .22 caliber can be used to qualify for LTC please?

Tex
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA Pistol Instructor, CFI, CFII, MEI Instructor Pilot

Beiruty

Re: 22 caliber qualification

Post by Beiruty »

Maybe for disabled/old people?
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

jimd1981

Post by jimd1981 »

You’re looking for Senate Bill 263 https://www.capitol.state.tx.us/tlodocs ... 00263F.htm passed as part of the 85th legislative session. The law became effective 9/1/2017.
You can get to it on the DPS website under Archived Legislation https://www.dps.texas.gov/RSD/LTC/Legal ... lation.htm

Mike S

Post by Mike S »

You won't find a reference specifically stating that .22 is 'allowed'; the 'minimum caliber requirement' was removed for the LTC qualification.

However, for the School Safety Course there's still a minimum caliber of .38 or higher (the LTC qualification is done on morning of Day 1 as a pre-shoot, with 90% required as a prerequisite).

Hoodasnacks
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Hoodasnacks »

Thanks for this post. My wife finally is coming around to LTC, but she only likes shooting her .22 (after an interesting encounter to discuss another day). I had told her that she would have to use something different...this will help move her along.

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

jimd1981 wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:20 am You’re looking for Senate Bill 263 https://www.capitol.state.tx.us/tlodocs ... 00263F.htm passed as part of the 85th legislative session. The law became effective 9/1/2017.
You can get to it on the DPS website under Archived Legislation https://www.dps.texas.gov/RSD/LTC/Legal ... lation.htm
Good Stuff! Thanks! :cheers2:
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

If she won't carry a 9, try her out on a 32acp.... Granted it's not a high power, but a heck of a lot better than a 22, especially with self defensive ammo in it....

AF-Odin

Post by AF-Odin »

Not wanting to get into a caliber war, but the numbers for high velocity .22 HP are better than a .32. That said, in my LTC classes, I tell the students that it is more important to carry a gun that they can comfortably and accurately shoot. A Glock 44 or even the little Beretta Bobcat in .22 is significantly better than no gun at all. Due to the current ammo shortages in some places, I have seen a few more people showing up with a .22 because it is a little more available than 9mm, .380, or .40S&W.
AF-Odin
Texas LTC, SSC & FRC Instructor
NRA Pistol, Home Firearms Safety, Personal Protection in the Home Instructor & RSO
NRA & TSRA Life Member

Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

AF-Odin wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:31 pm Not wanting to get into a caliber war, but the numbers for high velocity .22 HP are better than a .32. That said, in my LTC classes, I tell the students that it is more important to carry a gun that they can comfortably and accurately shoot. A Glock 44 or even the little Beretta Bobcat in .22 is significantly better than no gun at all. Due to the current ammo shortages in some places, I have seen a few more people showing up with a .22 because it is a little more available than 9mm, .380, or .40S&W.
I agree (No caliber wars). I'm curious though as to your information re. 22HP better than 32... I'm asking because I like to learn more...

AF-Odin

Post by AF-Odin »

Numbers I looked up showed:

Federal ,32 ACP Hydra Shok Muzzle Velocity 950FPS Muzzle Energy 130 Ft Pounds
CCI Mini-Mag HP Muzzle Velocity 1260 FPS Muzzle Energy 127 Ft Pounds (very close to .32)
CCI Stinger HP 1640 FPS Muzzle Energy 191 Ft Pounds (exceeds .32)

The most common .32s I have seen on today's market are the Kel Tec and the Beretta Bobcat. I have not fired the .32 Beretta, but have fired the .32 Kel Tec. The .32 Kel Tec is a bit easier for me to shoot than the .380 Kel Tec (same size as the Ruger LCP), but neither is really a comfortable gun for an older female student who is not used to shooting (demographic of many of my recent LTC students). I have fired both the Glock 44 and the Bobcat in .22. Both meet the criteria for being able to accurately and comfortably shoot by that demographic. That said, many are quite comfortable with the .3880 Shield EZ. In my opinion, a better choice than either the .22 or the .32. All that said, had a female student in her late 50s that shot a 250 on the LTC test with a Glock 19. :tiphat:
AF-Odin
Texas LTC, SSC & FRC Instructor
NRA Pistol, Home Firearms Safety, Personal Protection in the Home Instructor & RSO
NRA & TSRA Life Member

skeathley

Post by skeathley »

Word to the wise. Unless they have changed it in the last few years, the Beretta Bobcat in .22 does not have an extractor. Cases are ejected by blowback, but if the shell misfires, you cannot rack the slide to clear it. You have to break open the action and use a knife or screwdriver to dig out the casing.

Considering that the misfire rate of .22s is fairly high, this is not a good choice for self defense.

:tiphat:
Texas LTC Instructor / RSO / SSC
Viet Nam Veteran: 25th Infantry, Cu Chi
https://mckinneyfirearmstraining.com

Hoodasnacks

Post by Hoodasnacks »

Rob72 wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:10 pm
Hoodasnacks wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:01 pm Thanks for this post. My wife finally is coming around to LTC, but she only likes shooting her .22 (after an interesting encounter to discuss another day). I had told her that she would have to use something different...this will help move her along.
If someone doesn't feel comfortable shooting something... they won't carry it.

Dunno what her .22LR of choice is, but I really like these:
https://www.munitionsexpress.com/cci-qu ... nt-50-box/

CCI bought the original Quik-Shok years ago, and has done a great job with the QC.

Get her some effective ammo and get her to carry. More shooting usually leads to more comfort, and upscaling. :cool:
That is what I load in her for home when it is sitting under her side of the bed in the GunVault. It is amazing how much better they perform than target rounds from the cheap stuff. It is really important to have good ammo when it matters on a .22LR

I'm trying to get her to move to my Sig P238...I may rent the 9mm version of her gun in case it is a fit issue (my glock hurts her hand--which scared her off of higher calibers in the first place).

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”