Boy Scouts of America HQ

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
RebelKangaroo
Posts in topic: 1

Boy Scouts of America HQ

Post by RebelKangaroo »

I was in the area today and decided to stop by the BSA headquarters in Irving to visit the scout shop and take a look at their museum since I've never been. Well, on the front of the door of the building housing both is what appears to be a valid 30.06 sign.

For years in Scouts (Eagle Scout here!) I was always taught to "be prepared." I guess they mean that you should be prepared for anything as long as it doesn't involve those scary firearms. I don't think I could count the number of kids (myself included) that were taught to shoot through the Boy Scouts.

To be honest, I feel a little ashamed that the BSA seems to think so little of handguns in helping one be prepared. I've never done this before, but I think I'll be writing a letter on this.

GaryTx

Re: Boy Scouts of America HQ

Post by GaryTx »

RebelKangaroo wrote:I was in the area today and decided to stop by the BSA headquarters in Irving to visit the scout shop and take a look at their museum since I've never been. Well, on the front of the door of the building housing both is what appears to be a valid 30.06 sign.

For years in Scouts (Eagle Scout here!) I was always taught to "be prepared." I guess they mean that you should be prepared for anything as long as it doesn't involve those scary firearms. I don't think I could count the number of kids (myself included) that were taught to shoot through the Boy Scouts.

To be honest, I feel a little ashamed that the BSA seems to think so little of handguns in helping one be prepared. I've never done this before, but I think I'll be writing a letter on this.
That is sad. I used to teach NRA Basic Rifle courses to Boy Scout troops. Even sadder are all the 30.06 signs that keep increasing in number.
NRA Life Member
http://www.texasLTCacademy.com.com
CHL Classes | Basic Handgun Classes | NRA Classes

WEC

Post by WEC »

Interesting. A couple of months ago, I posted this thread about a 30.06 sign up at Girl Scouts of America regional office in Houston.
"We are oft to blame in this / 'Tis too much proved -- that with devotion's visage / And pious action we do sugar o'er / The devil himself."
Μολὼν λαβέ | NRA Lifetime Member

tbranch

Post by tbranch »

I think I'll join you in writing a letter as well. For years I've supported the BSA teaching basic radio and Morse code. I'm going to have to think hard before I will again volunteeer to help them.

Tom

MTICop

Post by MTICop »

If you ask me, I think they have a double standard. I just taught the NRA Basic Rifle/Pistol/Shotgun classes to a group of Boy Scouts in Corpus. They are all for shooting guns, .22's anyway, but even when I went to my instructor class which was held on a BSA campus, I was informed verbally that I couldn't carry. When asked why that was, I was told policy. The camp leader stated he didn't like it either but that's the direction he was given from his superiors. I guess "Be prepared" has it's limits.
Adversity doesn't build character....it reveals it.

USAF (Retired)
NRA Life Member
NRA Basic Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer

barres

Post by barres »

My son is a cub scout, and I had noticed that the rule sheet for camping at Cub World in Conroe stated that firearms were prohibited. I think there were also signs of that nature at Cub World, but I just smiled, because the notice was no where near 30.06 compliant. It is disheartening that an organization that has a range for archery and air rifles is so against being prepared to defend yourself against violent attack.
Remember, in a life-or-death situation, when seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

Barre

AggieC05

Post by AggieC05 »

seeing stuff likes this makes me almost sick to be an eagle scout at times.... the BSA seems to be destroying its integrity little by little.

TxFig

Post by TxFig »

I would like to write a letter as well.

I'm lazy - what is the address?

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

Just so you have a different point of view on this, Boy Scouts has long had a split on firearms attitudes. They have always (and still do as far as I know) support the use of long guns, including merit badges on marksmanship and shotgunning. They have also always been anti-handgun. I learned of this in the 70's when I first volunteered as an Assistant Scoutmaster. I have seen it many times since then.

Some areas, either the troop, district, or council, will be somewhat lax on enforcing the rules, but it has long been the official BSA policy to be anti-handgun.

And thanks to those posters who mentioned it, but I never thought of the contradiction between this attitude and their motto.
Steve Rothstein

mgood

Post by mgood »

Another Eagle Scout chiming in here.

When people have asked me why I think I need a gun, I have sometimes replied that the Boy Scouts taught me to Be Prepared.

stash

Post by stash »

Rebel - You might want to add it to the list at Texas3006.com.

Stan
TSRA
NRA
TFC
USMC 1961-1966

sooperdooper
Posts in topic: 2

Post by sooperdooper »

Does anyone know if this sign is still present?
46 days MB to MB

suthdj

Post by suthdj »

What are the alternatives to BSA. My wife wants to get my 5yo into it but I say no due to, well what they have become.
21-Apr-09 filed online
05-Sep-09 Plastic Arrived
09-Sep-13 Plastic Arrived
21-june-18 Plasic Arrived

RKirkwood

Post by RKirkwood »

I disagree with their policy but the scouting program overall is good for the boys. For some boys this will be the only place they will get to shoot a rifle.

LDB415
Posts in topic: 2

Post by LDB415 »

Another part of their PC program, gay scout leaders and no guns. There is another organization for boys that doesn't have the PC program. I know it has Trail in the name but can't remember the full name at the moment.
It's fine if you disagree. I can't force you to be correct.
NRA Life Member, TSRA Life Member, GSSF Member
A pistol without a round chambered is an expensive paper weight.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”