bounty hunters?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: Charles L. Cotton, carlson1


Topic author
rguerra911
Junior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 29
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:25 pm
Location: rio grande valley

bounty hunters?

#1

Post by rguerra911 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:29 am

i was watching a new show about bounty hunters and noticed that they open carried rifles and handguns. they even had badges. does texas allow this? the last time i checked "bounty hunters had to be licensed p.i.. and that does not allow any kind of badges or open carry. just wondering.

rob


txinvestigator
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 5
Posts: 4331
Joined: Wed May 04, 2005 6:40 pm
Location: DFW area
Contact:

Re: bounty hunters?

#2

Post by txinvestigator » Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:26 am

rguerra911 wrote:i was watching a new show about bounty hunters and noticed that they open carried rifles and handguns. they even had badges. does texas allow this? the last time i checked "bounty hunters had to be licensed p.i.. and that does not allow any kind of badges or open carry. just wondering.

rob
In Texas a person who conducts bail enforcement must be EITHER a Private Investigator working for a Licensed company OR a Commissioned Guard working for a licensed company. Doing so without registration is a third degree felony.

They must follow all rules regarding uniforms and the carry of weapons. A quick summary;

Commissioned guards must be in a distinctive uniform and the weapon must be in plain view. Under Texas law, commissioned guards can carry a shotgun if certified, but rifles are not permitted. Badges are permitted, but the badge or uniform cannot have the State Seal or State Flag, or wear anything or make any statement with the intent to
give an impression that the person is connected with the federal government, a state government, or a political
subdivision of a state government; or use a title, an insignia, or an identification card or wear a uniform containing the designation “police.�

Also they cannot display a badge, shoulder patch, logo or any other identification which contains the words "Law Enforcement" and/or similar word(s) including, but not limited to: agent, enforcement agent, detective, task force, fugitive recovery agent or any other combination of names which gives the impression that the bearer is in any way connected with
the federal government, state government or any political subdivision of a state government.

sources; Texas Occupations Code 1702 and the Texas Administrative Code


PIs cannot carry a handgun under the authority of their PI registration, but they are NOT prohibited from carrying under their CHL if the have one. Open carry is not allowed for PIs acting as Bail Enforcement.

PIs CAN wear a badge too. PIs are also not restricted regarding rifle or shotgun carry under the Private Security laws.

Hope this helps.
*CHL Instructor*


"Speed is Fine, but accuracy is final"- Bill Jordan

Remember those who died, remember those who killed them.


dustyb
Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 103
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:10 pm

Re: bounty hunters?

#3

Post by dustyb » Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:46 pm

I enjoy the program, but am amazed they have not been shot. It is my understanding from the show that they can legally "break and enter" into a home that is listed on the bail application, or that they "know" the bail jumper is in. I don't believe that would work as well in Texas, as it does in California.

Thanks for all of the information, txinvestigator, that is very interesting. I am glad to see that "bounty hunters" are regulated in Texas.


Russell
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 2872
Joined: Sat May 20, 2006 12:46 pm

Re: bounty hunters?

#4

Post by Russell » Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:53 pm

I also agree that I don't think that would work as well in Texas (which is a good thing btw), which could be why you don't see any bounty hunter shows being filmed in Texas :fire
http://www.texas3006.com - Texas 30.06 and 30.07 Signage Database.
Join us on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/texas3006


dustyb
Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 103
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:10 pm

Re: bounty hunters?

#5

Post by dustyb » Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:16 pm

They might have a hard time getting a whole season's worth of footage filmed. I am glad Robert Dick, the younger guy on the show, got rid of his mullet for the new series. I have seen another, older Bounty Hunter program where he was sporting a full plumage mullet.


nedmoore
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 449
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:24 pm

Re: bounty hunters?

#6

Post by nedmoore » Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:24 pm

Dusty is right! That dudes mullet was the MULLET OF ALL MULLETS! I for one will miss it! We need more mullets out there! I would like a forum on this site for CHL's with mullets, photos of hair and guns!


Tactical_Texan_CHL
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 555
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:45 am
Location: Odessa, TX

Re: bounty hunters?

#7

Post by Tactical_Texan_CHL » Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:27 pm

Business in the front, party in the back!!!
TacTex
NRA Life Member
Image


stoneface
Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 60
Joined: Sat May 12, 2007 12:26 pm
Location: Fort Worth, TX

Re: bounty hunters?

#8

Post by stoneface » Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:44 pm

txinvestigator--

Do you have a cite for the section of the law where rifles are not permitted for commissioned officers? Just curious as this issue has come up where I work. I don't remember anything on it one way or another when I took my commission school.

stoneface


txinvestigator
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 5
Posts: 4331
Joined: Wed May 04, 2005 6:40 pm
Location: DFW area
Contact:

Re: bounty hunters?

#9

Post by txinvestigator » Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:55 pm

stoneface wrote:txinvestigator--

Do you have a cite for the section of the law where rifles are not permitted for commissioned officers? Just curious as this issue has come up where I work. I don't remember anything on it one way or another when I took my commission school.

stoneface

(d) Commissioned security officers or personal protection officers shall carry only a firearm of the category with which they have been formally trained and of which training documentation is on file with the board. Firearm categories will be shown on the individual's registration card and will be:

(1) SA: any handgun, whether semi-automatic or not,

(2) NSA: handguns that are not semi-automatic,

(3) STG: any shotgun.


http://info.sos.state.tx.us/pls/pub/rea ... h=35&rl=34
*CHL Instructor*


"Speed is Fine, but accuracy is final"- Bill Jordan

Remember those who died, remember those who killed them.


KD5NRH
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 3119
Joined: Sat Mar 04, 2006 3:25 am
Location: Stephenville TX

Re: bounty hunters?

#10

Post by KD5NRH » Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:45 pm

txinvestigator wrote:(d) Commissioned security officers or personal protection officers shall carry only a firearm of the category with which they have been formally trained and of which training documentation is on file with the board. Firearm categories will be shown on the individual's registration card and will be:

(1) SA: any handgun, whether semi-automatic or not,

(2) NSA: handguns that are not semi-automatic,

(3) STG: any shotgun.
That's interesting; I know a few of the folks working at the nuclear plant nearby, and they're commissioned private security. I was under the impression that they are carrying rifles.


Rokyudai
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 640
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:56 pm
Location: San Antonio

Re: bounty hunters?

#11

Post by Rokyudai » Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:05 am

nedmoore wrote:Dusty is right! That dudes mullet was the MULLET OF ALL MULLETS! I for one will miss it! We need more mullets out there! I would like a forum on this site for CHL's with mullets, photos of hair and guns!

ah yes....Business up front and party in the back!

TacTex...we are on the same wavelength~
NRA Benefactor Member


Topic author
rguerra911
Junior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 29
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:25 pm
Location: rio grande valley

Re: bounty hunters?

#12

Post by rguerra911 » Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:04 am

txinvestigator,

i was checking around a couple web sites and found one that says PIs can not wear anything that would give the impression that the person was connected to a federal government or state government. so would this mean that PIs can not wear a badge? just wodering....


http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/psb/pi.aspx


txinvestigator
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 5
Posts: 4331
Joined: Wed May 04, 2005 6:40 pm
Location: DFW area
Contact:

Re: bounty hunters?

#13

Post by txinvestigator » Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:56 am

rguerra911 wrote:txinvestigator,

i was checking around a couple web sites and found one that says PIs can not wear anything that would give the impression that the person was connected to a federal government or state government. so would this mean that PIs can not wear a badge? just wodering....


http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/psb/pi.aspx
No, it does not mean that. I would NEVER wear or even use a badge as a PI, but I know several who do. They say things like "private investigator", which does not violate the law.
*CHL Instructor*


"Speed is Fine, but accuracy is final"- Bill Jordan

Remember those who died, remember those who killed them.


txinvestigator
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 5
Posts: 4331
Joined: Wed May 04, 2005 6:40 pm
Location: DFW area
Contact:

Re: bounty hunters?

#14

Post by txinvestigator » Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:57 am

KD5NRH wrote:
txinvestigator wrote:(d) Commissioned security officers or personal protection officers shall carry only a firearm of the category with which they have been formally trained and of which training documentation is on file with the board. Firearm categories will be shown on the individual's registration card and will be:

(1) SA: any handgun, whether semi-automatic or not,

(2) NSA: handguns that are not semi-automatic,

(3) STG: any shotgun.
That's interesting; I know a few of the folks working at the nuclear plant nearby, and they're commissioned private security. I was under the impression that they are carrying rifles.
I would not doubt that they are. ;)
*CHL Instructor*


"Speed is Fine, but accuracy is final"- Bill Jordan

Remember those who died, remember those who killed them.


BrassMonkey
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 993
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:49 pm
Location: North of Mckinney

Re: bounty hunters?

#15

Post by BrassMonkey » Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:33 pm

Weren't you a cop Jeff? Did you ever have run in's with PI's who were wannabees?
txinvestigator wrote:
rguerra911 wrote:txinvestigator,

i was checking around a couple web sites and found one that says PIs can not wear anything that would give the impression that the person was connected to a federal government or state government. so would this mean that PIs can not wear a badge? just wodering....


http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/psb/pi.aspx
No, it does not mean that. I would NEVER wear or even use a badge as a PI, but I know several who do. They say things like "private investigator", which does not violate the law.
BrassMonkey, that funky monkey....
===========================
Springfield TRP
Glock 22
Glock 21
Walther P22

Post Reply

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”