Whole Foods Gun Policy

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
teds787
Posts in topic: 5

Whole Foods Gun Policy

Post by teds787 »

I went to Whole Foods today. My girlfriend knows I carry and she was quick to point out the words "No Firearms" on the door as we entered. I told her it wasn't the correct format or verbiage so it did not apply to LICENSED carriers. Of course it didn't stop there. She kept pushing, saying I should respect the wishes of the store. I told her that the law provided a means for store owners who do not want CHL carriers to bring their guns in their stores. Am I correct in this? If the sign is not in the right form or it doesn't have the right lettering, it doesn't apply to CHL carriers. Or, did I brake the law today?

Thanks,
Ted S
[teds787]

Beiruty
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Whole Foods Gun Policy

Post by Beiruty »

unless it is compliant 30.06 notice in English and Spanish, then you can carry on.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 3

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Is she uncomfortable with the idea of your carrying a gun?
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Hos

Post by Hos »

teds787 wrote:She kept pushing, saying I should respect the wishes of the store. I told her that the law provided a means for store owners who do not want CHL carriers to bring their guns in their stores. [teds787]
You gave a perfect answer. I hope the gf can learn to respect to your "wishes" over time. You can even show her the law, it's very specific.
God, Goats, and Guns

Topic author
teds787
Posts in topic: 5

Post by teds787 »

The Annoyed Man wrote:Is she uncomfortable with the idea of your carrying a gun?
She thinks it's unnecessary. She keeps saying she has lived in some pretty scary places abroad just fine without a gun and the US is way safer than those places. I agree that the US is a pretty safe place, but then I say, "Complacency is a very bad idea." and, "I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it." So, she makes fun of me and I carry. :patriot:

Ted S
[teds787]

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 3

Post by The Annoyed Man »

teds787 wrote:
Beiruty wrote:unless it is compliant 30.06 notice in English and Spanish, then you can carry on.
She thinks it's unnecessary. She keeps saying she has lived in some pretty scary places (Panama, Honduras, Columbia (she's a journalist)) just fine without a gun and the US is way safer than those places.
Safer, because we're allowed to own firearms. In most of those countries, they have strict gun control.
teds787 wrote:I agree that the US is a pretty safe place, but then I say, "Complacency is a very bad idea." and, "I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it." So, she makes fun of me and I carry. :patriot:

Ted S
[teds787]
She makes fun of you? Sounds like a keeper. :roll: That last item doesn't bode well for your relationship, nor does her lecturing you about what you should or shouldn't do when you haven't asked her opinion. Liberals presume much.

Just my 2¢.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

RHenriksen

Post by RHenriksen »

I'm with TAM - I hope there's some serious upside to this relationship for you.
I'll quit carrying a gun when they make murder and armed robbery illegal

Houston Technology Consulting
soup-to-nuts IT infrastructure design, deployment, and support for SMBs

drjoker
Banned
Posts in topic: 11

Post by drjoker »

teds787 wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:Is she uncomfortable with the idea of your carrying a gun?
She thinks it's unnecessary. She keeps saying she has lived in some pretty scary places abroad just fine without a gun and the US is way safer than those places. I agree that the US is a pretty safe place, but then I say, "Complacency is a very bad idea." and, "I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it." So, she makes fun of me and I carry. :patriot:

Ted S
[teds787]
My wife has the exact same attitude towards guns. Watch out! She may sell your guns when you're not look'in if y'all git hitched!

Anyways, as long as she believes in freedom and the 2nd amendment, it's ok if she personally has made a choice not to carry. My wife has a CHL only to let our legislators know not to mess with the 2nd amendment and our freedoms. However, she dislikes guns personally (not politically, though) and never carries. We don't have any guns at home, but I've stashed a pistol with the neighbors (shh.... don't let her know!). :biggrinjester:

drjoker
Banned
Posts in topic: 11

Post by drjoker »

teds787 wrote: "No Firearms" on the door as we entered. I told her it wasn't the correct format or verbiage so it did not apply to LICENSED carriers.

Thanks,
Ted S
[teds787]
they are non 30.06 compliant on purpose so that they'll placate the brady bunch while allowing chl'ers carry away, discreetly. That way, they don't tick anybody off and can continue to make money....

or maybe there's a secret cabal of gun ban sign posters purposely posting non-comliant signs.... heh heh..... :biggrinjester:

Mastodon

Post by Mastodon »

teds787 wrote:I went to Whole Foods today. My girlfriend knows I carry and she was quick to point out the words "No Firearms" on the door as we entered. I told her it wasn't the correct format or verbiage so it did not apply to LICENSED carriers. Of course it didn't stop there. She kept pushing, saying I should respect the wishes of the store. I told her that the law provided a means for store owners who do not want CHL carriers to bring their guns in their stores. Am I correct in this? If the sign is not in the right form or it doesn't have the right lettering, it doesn't apply to CHL carriers. Or, did I brake the law today?

Thanks,
Ted S
[teds787]
Carry on, teds.
Chartered By The Republic of Texas in 1845

NRA
TSRA

Μολών Λαβέ

9mmfan

Post by 9mmfan »

I carry in Whole Foods all the time. As has been stated, their signage, as it is, is nowhere near the 30.06 requirements for being plagued with a trespassing charge. They were founded in Austin, which, in spite of the hippy-dippy ideology that is attached to that locale, is whence Jerry Patterson's bill was introduced and passed. They are a large and powerful corporation. They have lawyers. If they were serious about keeping out licensed carriers, they would have the correct signs posted. More of a feel-good statement for the rank and file. They have good quality, tasty meat. I just make sure I am covered when I bend over to get my sushi from the bottom shelf. Keep in mind that if you are discovered and asked to leave, you must do so post haste. No further discussion. Of course, this is true of anyone else's property, whether you are carrying or not. This bit of statute helps me as a bar manager all the time. Buy organic on, my friend! They also have a good beer and wine selection for those of you who have not been there. I absolutely love Whole Foods, pricey as they may be.
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition
-Rudyard Kipling

Purplehood
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Purplehood »

I would post a 30.06 sign on your GF's forehead (figuratively of course).
Life NRA
USMC 76-93
USAR 99-07 (Retired)
OEF 06-07

TxRVer

Post by TxRVer »

Just think of a gun-busters sign as a reminder to the unlicensed that carrying, for them, is illegal. ;-)
Charlie

OldCannon

Post by OldCannon »

teds787 wrote:....She kept pushing, saying I should respect the wishes of the store. I told her that the law provided a means for store owners who do not want CHL carriers to bring their guns in their stores. Am I correct in this? If the sign is not in the right form or it doesn't have the right lettering, it doesn't apply to CHL carriers. Or, did I brake the law today?
Keep the gun, leave the girlfriend. :thumbs2:
I don't fear guns; I fear voters and politicians that fear guns.

jamisjockey

Post by jamisjockey »

You are correct.
Personally, if someone has an incorrect 30.06 posting, I'd still rather not do business with them, and will likely write a letter to them explaining why they didn't get my money.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”