News West 9 article about church Safety

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
G.A. Heath
Posts in topic: 4

News West 9 article about church Safety

Post by G.A. Heath »

News West 9 is a television station in the Odessa/Midland area and recently had this article on their website about churches, "Safety teams", and how concealed carry is "illegal" on church property. I replied to the article, to correct their statement:
Under the Texas Penal Code, it's illegal to carry a concealed handgun on church property.
The only thing is my comment was either deleted or is still waiting on approval by their moderation system. Not sure which it is, time will tell.

BTW for those who are unsure about the law the actual ban on concealed carry is found in TPC 46.035(b)6) while TPC 46.035(i) requires notification under TPC 30.06 for it to apply.
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

sookandy
Posts in topic: 1

Re: News West 9 article about church Safety

Post by sookandy »

I thought it was interesting that they put that comment in there(which you are right is wrong), then put the "but for $100 a year...". Sounds like a sales pitch. I prefer my $1000 stainless to their program.

hpcatx

Post by hpcatx »

G.A. Heath wrote:I replied to the article, to correct their statement [...] The only thing is my comment was either deleted or is still waiting on approval by their moderation system. Not sure which it is, time will tell.
I just did the same and now my comment has disappeared. I suspect it's awaiting a moderator.
"We have four boxes with which to defend our freedom: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box." - L. McDonald

fishman

Post by fishman »

I left a comment for them and it showed up, then I refreshed the page and it was gone. I guess they did'nt like what I said.
IANAL

speedsix
Posts in topic: 3

Post by speedsix »

...we were taught in school a good news story tells who, what, when, where, why, and how...shows you how long ago I went to school...facts aren't important anymore...just how can the reporter make the story support the editor's views...

Texas Size 11

Post by Texas Size 11 »

Boy, it will be unfortunate for any nut job that thinks it is true and shows up to do harm only to find a handful of CHL holders at at the service... :fire
Never pet a burning dog...

speedsix
Posts in topic: 3

Post by speedsix »

...one might call that a "rush to Judgement"!!!

Topic author
G.A. Heath

Post by G.A. Heath »

I did manage to get a comment onto their facebook wall page as where they posted about the article.
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?

TexasAggie09

Post by TexasAggie09 »

Not sure if I would correct that...it gives the church knowledge to put up a 30.06 if they read the article!
Taurus Model 82 .38 Special
Taurus PT145 Millenium Pro
CZ 75 B 9mm
Smith & Wesson 642 .38 Special
Remington 870 Express Home Defense
Sig Sauer P229 Enhanced Elite .40 S&W
Rock River LAR-15 Elite Operator 2 .223/5.56

Fightin' Texas Aggie Class of 2009

Topic author
G.A. Heath

Post by G.A. Heath »

Not correcting the news item can also cause some license holders to think the law has changed and they are not aware of it, or erroneously confirm for license holders who had a class with an instructor was told incorrectly by a certain DPS lawyer that church carry was illegal because the class served as 30.06 notice (there is a thread on here somewhere that discusses that topic). It can also lead to a crazed whackjob gunman killing innocents because he thinks it is safe to do so, perhaps while a disarmed CHL holder (who incorrectly believes they would be breaking the law by carrying) sits there unable to properly defend themselves or their loved ones or their friends or even their fellow church members. Additionally I doubt a church in West Texas is going to post a big ugly sign, or have someone give oral notice to everyone as they enter. A church might put the 30.06 notice in their handbill, but even that is doubtful.

C-dub
Posts in topic: 2

Post by C-dub »

Or further informing anyone that reads those that was previously misinformed and teaches them about posting 30.06 signs at their business. :shock:
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Topic author
G.A. Heath

Post by G.A. Heath »

You know folks, your right, we should never correct misinformation because it could be used against us. We should not carry a gun because of the remote chance we might occidentally break concealment and cause someone who sees it might put a 30.06 sign up at their church, business, home, hospital, ect. In fact we should scrub every reference to the 30.60 requirements on the internet so that people will not be able to find it as easy as they can now. Next legislative session I will contact my representative to ask them about filing a bill to make 30.06 a secret law so that it won't even appear in law books or on the state's website! maybe we can get the DPS to start scrubbing it off their website right now.

In all seriousness, where do we draw the line on paranoia about people learning about proper signage? I agree that we should not contact a business and tell them that their signage is invalid/non-compliant. I don't think that a statement along the lines of "TPC 46.035(i) requires a church to provide notice that complies with TPC 30.06 in order for concealed carry to be illegal" is going to cause businesses to go out and start posting 30.06 signs. Statements in the media like I quoted in the original post can lead to legislators thinking that 46.035(i) is a loophole that needs to be closed. While we don't have to worry about that right now, what about in 4 years when even more people have moved in from California are registered voters and there are suddenly more anti-gun rights folks in the legislature? If we take the opportunity to educate the public that it is not illegal, and that it is perfectly normal then we head off a problem before it becomes one.

RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

That "News Report" really needs to contain the word "Advertisement"
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

johnson0317

Post by johnson0317 »

Texas Size 11 wrote:Boy, it will be unfortunate for any nut job that thinks it is true and shows up to do harm only to find a handful of CHL holders at at the service... :fire
That was exactly my thinking! I don't think I would bother to correct their ignorance.

RJ
CHL Received 5/16/11
Proud Member NRA
Proud Member Texas Concealed Handgun Association
Proud Member Second Amendment Foundation
Proud Member of The Truth Squad founded by Tom Gresham. "A lie left unchallenged becomes the truth"

wgoforth

Post by wgoforth »

Sir; on your news articleconcerning church crime, you made a serious and frankly amatuer mistake. I am a minister for a church, a concealed handgun holder, a gun instructor and I carry in the pulpit every service. In fact, I am to speak to a group of preachers next week on Church Security. Too, probably 1/4 of the preachers I know carry at church services.

The Texas Penal Code is written like the... constitution in the sense that when there is a change, a code section is not removed, but there is a later amendment. It has not been illegal to carry firearms in Texas church since 1997. Originally it was against the law, as stated in TPC 46.035(b)6). Two years later it was amended so that the church must put up a 30.06 sign like any other business if they do not want you to carry, as specified in TPC 46.035(i).

Call should you desire further information. You can find my gun instruction business on Facebook under Castle Keep Services, and our congregation under Woodland Heights church of Christ.

Wayne Goforth

325 338-6736
NRA Life Member
NRA Instructor for Refuse To Be A Victim
Instructor of Basic, Advanced and Defensive Handgun, CHL
http://www.castlekeepservices.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”