Official email reply from the Plano ISD.

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Zoti
Posts in topic: 2

Official email reply from the Plano ISD.

Post by Zoti »

I emailed the PISD regarding the 30.06 signs posted in the entrance to PISD school parking lots. Here's the reply.

I remember we discussed it before but to be honest, I was surprised by the reply (and happy that we see eye to eye in that matter) and how fast they replied. I emailed them earlier today.

==========================
Mr. Nesta,

Thank you for your email. It may be that the particular sign you saw was one posted prior to some of the revisions in the Texas Penal Code dealing with CHL holders. We have a number of aging/faded signs that, at some point, may be replaced or removed.

My understanding of the CHL law is that a person holding a CHL commits an offense if he/she carries a handgun into the building of an educational facility or to a school sporting event, but that parking lot areas are not included in that prohibition. See Texas Penal Code Sections 30.06 (Trespass by Holder of License to Carry Concealed Handgun); 46.03 (Places Weapons Prohibited); and 46.035 (Unlawful Carrying of Handgun by License Holder).

In my experience, and as a practical matter, a generally law abiding CHL holder is not going to unlawfully carry his gun into a school, and a person bent on death and destruction is not going to be deterred by a mere sign.

Sincerely,

Joseph L. Parks
Executive Director
Safety and Security Services
Plano Independent School District
2700 W. 15th Street
Plano, Texas 75075
(469)752-8057

RPB
Banned

Re: Official email reply from the Plano ISD.

Post by RPB »

Zoti wrote:I emailed the PISD regarding the 30.06 signs posted in the entrance to PISD school parking lots. Here's the reply.

I remember we discussed it before but to be honest, I was surprised by the reply (and happy that we see eye to eye in that matter) and how fast they replied. I emailed them earlier today.

==========================
Mr. Nesta,

Thank you for your email. It may be that the particular sign you saw was one posted prior to some of the revisions in the Texas Penal Code dealing with CHL holders. We have a number of aging/faded signs that, at some point, may be replaced or removed.

My understanding of the CHL law is that a person holding a CHL commits an offense if he/she carries a handgun into the building of an educational facility or to a school sporting event, but that parking lot areas are not included in that prohibition. See Texas Penal Code Sections 30.06 (Trespass by Holder of License to Carry Concealed Handgun); 46.03 (Places Weapons Prohibited); and 46.035 (Unlawful Carrying of Handgun by License Holder).

In my experience, and as a practical matter, a generally law abiding CHL holder is not going to unlawfully carry his gun into a school, and a person bent on death and destruction is not going to be deterred by a mere sign.

Sincerely,

Joseph L. Parks
Executive Director
Safety and Security Services
Plano Independent School District
2700 W. 15th Street
Plano, Texas 75075
(469)752-8057
:tiphat: :thumbs2:
Thanks for posting that Zoti
Normally I'd say just ignore invalid unenforceable signs anyway, but I'm glad some "school people" are more "educated"
And, it's nice to have that in writing.
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

WildBill
Posts in topic: 3

Post by WildBill »

RPB wrote:Thanks for posting that Zoti
Normally I'd say just ignore invalid unenforceable signs anyway, but I'm glad some "school people" are more "educated"
And, it's nice to have that in writing.
:iagree: It's good to know that all government employees aren't idiotic bureaucrats.
NRA Endowment Member

AEA

Post by AEA »

It's good they know the signs are unenforceable.

It's still NOT GOOD that they remain in place. Nothing was mentioned about when they expected to have them taken down and in compliance. It is not an "oversight" that they are still up,.....it is intentional. :banghead:
Alan - ANYTHING I write is MY OPINION only.
Certified Curmudgeon - But, my German Shepherd loves me!
NRA-Life, USN '65-'69 & '73-'79: RM1
1911's RULE!

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

:shock: :shock: :shock:

It is unfortunate that some of those signs remain posted, but many cities also couldn't afford to put up the cell phone signs on the school zones either and so it is not illegal to use your phone in those school zones. You'd think it would be a simple matter to get them removed, but oh the bureaucracy. :roll:
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

C-dub wrote::shock: :shock: :shock:

It is unfortunate that some of those signs remain posted, but many cities also couldn't afford to put up the cell phone signs on the school zones either and so it is not illegal to use your phone in those school zones. You'd think it would be a simple matter to get them removed, but oh the bureaucracy. :roll:
Baby steps.
NRA Endowment Member

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

WildBill wrote:
C-dub wrote::shock: :shock: :shock:

Baby steps.
Yup!

I'm still shocked at the positive and supportive response.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

sjfcontrol

Post by sjfcontrol »

They'll probably can the guy Monday.
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

sjfcontrol wrote:They'll probably can the guy Monday.
Not if you have anything to do with it. :thumbs2:
NRA Endowment Member

Topic author
Zoti

Post by Zoti »

I have emailed him back asking when we can expect the wrong signage to be removed. Let's see what I get back on Monday.

AustinBoy
Posts in topic: 1

Post by AustinBoy »

WOW!
Great response!

AB
NRA - Life Member
TSRA - Life Member

AEA

Post by AEA »

Zoti wrote:I have emailed him back asking when we can expect the wrong signage to be removed. Let's see what I get back on Monday.
Here's an idea.........
When you get a reply (if you do) saying basically it is a money issue that is not in the budget to remove the signs, suggest this......

Allow a organized group of volunteer people to come with their hand wrenches and take down the signs themselves. See how he likes that idea! :banghead:

I am 60 miles away, but if a organized effort to take these signs down would occur, I would not mind driving the 120 miles to help out. And of course I will be armed while doing it. :thumbs2:
Alan - ANYTHING I write is MY OPINION only.
Certified Curmudgeon - But, my German Shepherd loves me!
NRA-Life, USN '65-'69 & '73-'79: RM1
1911's RULE!

RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

Parent and Community involvement in education and sprucing up schools by removal of outdated signage which will otherwise fade and rust and be an eyesore for years to come... love it.
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

fannypacker

Post by fannypacker »

Thank you for your effort. I still have little faith that they will ever come down but the reply is encouraging.

3dfxMM

Post by 3dfxMM »

AEA wrote:
Zoti wrote:I have emailed him back asking when we can expect the wrong signage to be removed. Let's see what I get back on Monday.
Here's an idea.........
When you get a reply (if you do) saying basically it is a money issue that is not in the budget to remove the signs, suggest this......

Allow a organized group of volunteer people to come with their hand wrenches and take down the signs themselves. See how he likes that idea! :banghead:

I am 60 miles away, but if a organized effort to take these signs down would occur, I would not mind driving the 120 miles to help out. And of course I will be armed while doing it. :thumbs2:
Hopefully, they don't count it as a school sponsored activity. :)

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”