Any tips for carrying in Ohio?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Robert91RS
Posts in topic: 2

Any tips for carrying in Ohio?

Post by Robert91RS »

I'm not one for leaving Texas much but I will be visiting family in Ohio next month. I know we now have reciprocity with Ohio and after reading the Ohio CCW handbook I have a fair understanding of the differences in law.

The biggest difference appears to be signage, in that any gunbuster sign on the door of a business is sufficient to keep me out. I have also found the "forbidden carry zones" which aren't of great concern to me since the only one that I might visit is the Ohio State University.
• Police stations
• Sheriffs’ offices
• Highway Patrol posts
• Premises controlled by BCI
• Correctional institutions or other detention facilities
• Airport terminals or airplanes
• Facilities for the care of mentally ill persons
• Courthouses or buildings in which a courtroom is located
• Universities, unless locked in a motor vehicle or in the process
of being locked in a motor vehicle
• Places of worship, unless the place of worship permits otherwise
• Child day-care centers
• Licensed Class D liquor permit premises, if you are consuming
beer or intoxicating liquor or are under the influence. If you are
not consuming, and not under the influence, you may carry
unless there is a conspicuous sign prohibiting carry.
Possession of a concealed firearm is allowed in a retail
store with a D-6 or D-8 permit as long as the concealed
carry license holder is not consuming liquor. Class D
permits are generally issued to an establishment that sells
alcohol for consumption on the premises. In any event, do
not consume beer or intoxicating liquor before carrying
a concealed handgun into a licensed premises or while
on the premises.
• Government facilities that are not used primarily as a shelter,
restroom, parking facility for motor vehicles, or rest facility
and are not a courthouse or a building or structure in which a
courtroom is located.
• School safety zones
A “school safety zone” includes a school, school building,
school premises, school activity, and school bus. For
purposes of this statute, a school includes everything up to
the property boundary.
I'll be with family on private property the vast majority of the time but would love to hear from anyone who has any tips or recommendations about carrying in Ohio. This will be my fist time leaving Texas in over a decade, and I was a minor back then.

Jumping Frog
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Any tips for carrying in Ohio?

Post by Jumping Frog »

I can simplify what to worry about as far as "criminal protection zones" to a shorter easier list to remember:
  • No concealed carry in government buildings of any kind.
  • No firearms on school property (including grounds and parking lot) unless you are picking up or dropping off a child
  • No concealed carry on university property (including grounds and parking lot) unless it is locked in a car.
  • No concealed carry in a day care.
  • No concealed carry in churches unless the church gives express permission.
  • Do not drink in a liquor establishment.
  • No loaded long guns in a motor vehicle
As far as private businesses go, yes, any gun buster sign is technically enforceable, but the fine print requires that a person knowingly violates the sign and the sign is posted conspicuously. Also, a police officer has to witness the offense to make a misdemeanor arrest in Ohio (with some rare exceptions). The officer is going to want to witness the person being asked to leave and witness the person refusing to leave.

So the real world application is if challenged in a private business is to simply apologize, "I had no idea, I'll leave immediately." And then leave. Do not wait for the police to arrive, simply leave. A store owner cannot detain you.

Technically, open carry is legal on OSU campus, but the real world application is someone is going to get arrested.

Finally, if you are stopped for a law enforcement purpose while carrying concealed, remember you must promptly notify the officer you are licensed and you are armed. This is the most common scenario for a CHL to get charged with a crime.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

Topic author
Robert91RS
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Robert91RS »

Great info and summary Jumping Frog, that's exactly the kind of reply I was looking for. Without living in a state or visiting it regularly it can be difficult to know how some of the laws are interpreted and enforced. Obviously I want to always follow the law but you darn near have to be a lawyer anymore. Thanks :tiphat:

rugsig

Post by rugsig »

I am traveling to Kansas in a few weeks, so I was checking out their concealed carry regulations and found this interesting passage:

"Does the Federal gun free school zone act apply to me as a concealed carry licensee?
Answer: No – if traveling through a Kansas “school zone.” Federal law, 18 U.S.C. 922(q), requiring firearms to remain outside of 1,000 feet of a “school zone” has exceptions for individuals who are licensed to carry a firearm by the jurisdiction (state or local) where the school zone sits. Therefore, Kansas licensees have a built in exception to the general rule…licensees from other states, however, do not have this same exception while traveling in Kansas." (My italics)

I guess this means that as an out of state license holder, Federal law makes it illegal for me to carry within 1000 feet of any Kansas school. Since there are schools all over the neighborhood in which I'll be staying, I'll either have to not carry most of the time there, or plan some very circuitous routes to get from point A to point B.

It might be worthwhile to check if this same situation exists in Ohio.

jmra

Post by jmra »

rugsig wrote:I am traveling to Kansas in a few weeks, so I was checking out their concealed carry regulations and found this interesting passage:

"Does the Federal gun free school zone act apply to me as a concealed carry licensee?
Answer: No – if traveling through a Kansas “school zone.” Federal law, 18 U.S.C. 922(q), requiring firearms to remain outside of 1,000 feet of a “school zone” has exceptions for individuals who are licensed to carry a firearm by the jurisdiction (state or local) where the school zone sits. Therefore, Kansas licensees have a built in exception to the general rule…licensees from other states, however, do not have this same exception while traveling in Kansas." (My italics)

I guess this means that as an out of state license holder, Federal law makes it illegal for me to carry within 1000 feet of any Kansas school. Since there are schools all over the neighborhood in which I'll be staying, I'll either have to not carry most of the time there, or plan some very circuitous routes to get from point A to point B.

This really isn't something hing you need to worry about unless you are visiting a school. The GFSZA is an add on charge used by the Feds for acts of gun violence close to schools. It's basically impossible to travel with a firearm without violating the act. Carry on.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

jmra wrote:
rugsig wrote:I am traveling to Kansas in a few weeks, so I was checking out their concealed carry regulations and found this interesting passage:

This really isn't something hing you need to worry about unless you are visiting a school. The GFSZA is an add on charge used by the Feds for acts of gun violence close to schools. It's basically impossible to travel with a firearm without violating the act. Carry on.
Wait! What about the proverbial "cop and prosecutor with a bad attitude"? :shock: Or in this case modified to AUSA (Assistant US Attorney) and ATF Special Agent with an axe to grind. :rules:

"Three felonies a day!"
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”