Community College Campus Carry

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton


Topic author
bdgyeah
Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 79
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2016 5:54 pm

Community College Campus Carry

#1

Post by bdgyeah » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:24 am

So I went back to school last year at Community College. The Campus Carry law, S.B. 11, requires that 2 yr, non-private colleges need to be compliant in 2017. A couple of days ago, I received an e-mail from the President of the school stating they were starting to look at the implementation process, and coming up with their rules for compliance. He also stated he was going to use other Universities' "processes" and "rules" based on some 4 yr schools have implemented their rules. I know there have been some questionable attempts to limit the law by some Universities by not allowing campus carry in various places. Since I am attending this school, I plan to follow it much more closely than other schools like UT.

My question to everyone is: Does anyone know specifically know where, and what some of these "questionable" policies are? Are there any current proposals to amend the current law?

I am asking because I want as much knowledge on the subject I can get, before I start firing off e-mails to the President. Based on his statement, "Our college is working on a very important task, among the most challenging of my career--developing a policy implementing S.B. 11," I get the impression they are going to make it overly difficult for LTC holders. Seriously, the "most challenging"? Can't we just carry and be left alone?

Thanks everyone. I appreciate your input.

User avatar

Jusme
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 5091
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:23 pm
Location: Johnson County, Texas

Re: Community College Campus Carry

#2

Post by Jusme » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:34 am

Most 4 year universities were fairly compliant and consistent with their implementation policies, some more than others. Texas A&M did a very good job in making carry as free as possible. UT after a lot of contentious bickering among students and staff did what would consider a fair job.

You will probably just have to "wait and see" before sending emails, but the main bone of contention I have seen with 2 year colleges, is their erroneous assumption, that classes being taken by high school students should be prohibited, for carry.
I am somewhat surprised that 2 year colleges are just now working on their proposed policies, since they have had more time to do so.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:


twomillenium
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 1693
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:42 pm
Location: houston area

Re: Community College Campus Carry

#3

Post by twomillenium » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:32 am

Jusme wrote:Most 4 year universities were fairly compliant and consistent with their implementation policies, some more than others. Texas A&M did a very good job in making carry as free as possible. UT after a lot of contentious bickering among students and staff did what would consider a fair job.

You will probably just have to "wait and see" before sending emails, but the main bone of contention I have seen with 2 year colleges, is their erroneous assumption, that classes being taken by high school students should be prohibited, for carry.
I am somewhat surprised that 2 year colleges are just now working on their proposed policies, since they have had more time to do so.
They take their lead from our state legislature. Wait till the last minute to do anything and then claim they didn't have enough time!
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.


Soccerdad1995
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 3903
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:03 pm

Re: Community College Campus Carry

#4

Post by Soccerdad1995 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:41 am

twomillenium wrote:
Jusme wrote:Most 4 year universities were fairly compliant and consistent with their implementation policies, some more than others. Texas A&M did a very good job in making carry as free as possible. UT after a lot of contentious bickering among students and staff did what would consider a fair job.

You will probably just have to "wait and see" before sending emails, but the main bone of contention I have seen with 2 year colleges, is their erroneous assumption, that classes being taken by high school students should be prohibited, for carry.
I am somewhat surprised that 2 year colleges are just now working on their proposed policies, since they have had more time to do so.
They take their lead from our state legislature. Wait till the last minute to do anything and then claim they didn't have enough time!
I am fine with them doing nothing on this. No signs = no restrictions on carry.
Ding dong, the witch is dead


WTR
Banned
Posts in topic: 4
Posts: 1931
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:41 pm

Re: Community College Campus Carry

#5

Post by WTR » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:48 am

The President of the local CC out here stated carry would not be allowed anywhere on campus.


Soccerdad1995
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 3903
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:03 pm

Re: Community College Campus Carry

#6

Post by Soccerdad1995 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:55 am

WTR wrote:The President of the local CC out here stated carry would not be allowed anywhere on campus.
If that's a public statement, then can you go ahead and file the AG complaint now?
Ding dong, the witch is dead


WTR
Banned
Posts in topic: 4
Posts: 1931
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:41 pm

Re: Community College Campus Carry

#7

Post by WTR » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:00 am

He made it on the 6:00 O clock news.

User avatar

Jusme
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 5091
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:23 pm
Location: Johnson County, Texas

Re: Community College Campus Carry

#8

Post by Jusme » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:04 am

WTR wrote:The President of the local CC out here stated carry would not be allowed anywhere on campus.

If it is a tax funded CC, it is in direct violation of the law. If it is a private school then they can "opt out" But even then, they can't designate the entire campus, only the buildings.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

User avatar

bblhd672
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 4811
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:43 am
Location: TX

Re: Community College Campus Carry

#9

Post by bblhd672 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:08 am

Jusme wrote:
WTR wrote:The President of the local CC out here stated carry would not be allowed anywhere on campus.

If it is a tax funded CC, it is in direct violation of the law. If it is a private school then they can "opt out" But even then, they can't designate the entire campus, only the buildings.
Being the president of a CC doesn't make you the sharpest knife in the drawer. :mrgreen:
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager


WTR
Banned
Posts in topic: 4
Posts: 1931
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:41 pm

Re: Community College Campus Carry

#10

Post by WTR » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:27 am

We have a lot of panty waists who were whineing about guns on campus. The Preident made a PC statement to show he was sympathetic and with them. We will see what actually occurs come August. CC at UTEP has been a stealer example of what a non issue CC is.

User avatar

Jusme
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 5091
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:23 pm
Location: Johnson County, Texas

Re: Community College Campus Carry

#11

Post by Jusme » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:39 am

WTR wrote:We have a lot of panty waists who were whineing about guns on campus. The Preident made a PC statement to show he was sympathetic and with them. We will see what actually occurs come August. CC at UTEP has been a stealer example of what a non issue CC is.

There have been no issues anywhere, including UT, where they were sure that professors were going to be shot on a weekly basis. I doubt, very many junior colleges, have the budget to defend themselves in court if they are non-compliant.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:


Soccerdad1995
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 3903
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:03 pm

Re: Community College Campus Carry

#12

Post by Soccerdad1995 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:25 pm

Jusme wrote:
WTR wrote:We have a lot of panty waists who were whineing about guns on campus. The Preident made a PC statement to show he was sympathetic and with them. We will see what actually occurs come August. CC at UTEP has been a stealer example of what a non issue CC is.

There have been no issues anywhere, including UT, where they were sure that professors were going to be shot on a weekly basis. I doubt, very many junior colleges, have the budget to defend themselves in court if they are non-compliant.
I think the reason for this is that the only people who are being violent lately are liberals and they tend to not have guns for a variety of reasons, including lack of funds, and difficulty understanding how to operate relatively simple pieces of equipment.

Speaking of which, has UC Berkeley called for a ban on baseball bats, mace, and fireworks as a result of their recent Crystalnacht?
Ding dong, the witch is dead

User avatar

oohrah
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 1122
Joined: Mon May 27, 2013 5:54 pm
Location: McLennan County

Re: Community College Campus Carry

#13

Post by oohrah » Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:27 pm

Couple of things to look for:

1. UT said you can't have a round in the chamber. Not compliant of course, as they can't tell you "how" to carry.
2. Some professors wanted to be able to post 30.06 on their office doors, also not compliant (FWIW, I posted a green gun sign on my door saying concealed carry was welcome, generated some interesting discussions).
3. Community colleges will try make restrictions based on having high school kids on campus getting dual credits, not sure where the law on this lies.

As you intend to follow this closely, be sure and answer their surveys, and write letters. We now have almost a whole academic year of no incidents, which should have a bearing on decisions, altho this will probably be ignored.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.


Bruin98
Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 149
Joined: Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:57 am

Re: Community College Campus Carry

#14

Post by Bruin98 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:49 pm

At my community college the professors have completed 2 surveys. The last one was very specific as to where we would and would not like to see weapons carried. Everything from the daycare to sporting events was on the list.

There is an open forum for students tomorrow and then one next week for the community and students. I think there was one for professors a few weeks back but I didn't go.

Apparently the plan should be released by end of the semester.


Bladed
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 421
Joined: Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:28 pm

Re: Community College Campus Carry

#15

Post by Bladed » Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:38 am

oohrah wrote:Couple of things to look for:

1. UT said you can't have a round in the chamber. Not compliant of course, as they can't tell you "how" to carry.
The UT System board of regents overruled that policy, but Central Texas Community College in Killeen adopted the same policy.

SCC press releases on UT's proposed policies:

SCC press release on CTC's proposed policies: http://www.ammoland.com/2017/01/ctc-ado ... z4YAf92TbU

SCC press release on LSCC's proposed policies: http://www.ammoland.com/2017/01/campus- ... z4YAf92TbU
oohrah wrote:2. Some professors wanted to be able to post 30.06 on their office doors, also not compliant (FWIW, I posted a green gun sign on my door saying concealed carry was welcome, generated some interesting discussions).
Complaints have been filed with the AG's office, but it's still up in the air as to whether they'll conclude that this is non-compliance and take legal action. Here is an AG complaint filed by SCC:
oohrah wrote:3. Community colleges will try make restrictions based on having high school kids on campus getting dual credits, not sure where the law on this lies.
The AG issued an opinion stating that the presence of an early college program does not give a community college license to exempt large portions of campus. It remains to be seen whether any community colleges will press the issue. Here is a press release one of the SCC directors wrote on the topic: http://www.dallasnews.com/opinion/comme ... l-students
oohrah wrote:As you intend to follow this closely, be sure and answer their surveys, and write letters. We now have almost a whole academic year of no incidents, which should have a bearing on decisions, altho this will probably be ignored.
Here are a few articles on the successful implementation of campus carry at Texas's four-year universities:

http://amarillo.com/news/2016-12-18/wt- ... mpus-carry

http://kfoxtv.com/news/local/no-gun-rel ... nto-effect

http://www.newschannel6now.com/story/33 ... rry-policy

http://www.dentonrc.com/local-news/loca ... -start.ece

http://studybreaks.com/2016/09/20/campu ... eeks-like/

Post Reply

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”