Texas Lawmakers Clarify Church Carry Law

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: Charles L. Cotton, carlson1

Post Reply
User avatar

Topic author
AndyC
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 10413
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2007 12:34 pm
Location: Garland, TX

Texas Lawmakers Clarify Church Carry Law

#1

Post by AndyC » Thu May 02, 2019 4:13 pm

Some Texas legislators want to make it clearer in state law that licensed handgun holders can carry weapons in churches, synagogues and other houses of worship, nearly a year and a half after a gunman killed 26 people at a small-town Texas church during a Sunday service.
https://bearingarms.com/tom-k/2019/05/0 ... -carry-law
Remember Kitty Genovese

Image

Amateurs skip safety-checks - pros don't.
Preferred Travel Agent - 72 Virgins Dating Club
There's nothing quite like the offer of 230 grains to a man's chest to remind him of his manners

User avatar

puma guy
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 6095
Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:23 pm
Location: Near San Jacinto

Re: Texas Lawmakers Clarify Church Carry Law

#2

Post by puma guy » Thu May 02, 2019 5:09 pm

AndyC wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 4:13 pm
Some Texas legislators want to make it clearer in state law that licensed handgun holders can carry weapons in churches, synagogues and other houses of worship, nearly a year and a half after a gunman killed 26 people at a small-town Texas church during a Sunday service.
https://bearingarms.com/tom-k/2019/05/0 ... -carry-law
Dang! I saw Charles C. earlier today and I would have asked him about the bill if I'd known. Normally I get to pick his brain on bills at our 1st Friday monthly breakfast, but I have to miss tomorrow. Glad they're trying to do something positive this session.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!
Image

User avatar

bblhd672
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 4811
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:43 am
Location: TX

Re: Texas Lawmakers Clarify Church Carry Law

#3

Post by bblhd672 » Thu May 02, 2019 5:25 pm

This is Senate Bill 535: Passed by Senate to Amend TX Penal Code 46.035
https://capitol.texas.gov/BillLookup/Hi ... Bill=SB535

Companion House Bill: Reported favorable in Criminal Jurisprudence Committee
https://capitol.texas.gov/BillLookup/Hi ... ill=HB1231
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

User avatar

Bitter Clinger
Banned
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 2593
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:16 pm
Location: North Dallas

Re: Texas Lawmakers Clarify Church Carry Law

#4

Post by Bitter Clinger » Fri May 03, 2019 8:29 pm

Might have need of it sooner than expected:

Shocking video of children in Philadelphia Muslim Society: 'We will chop off their heads' for Allah

https://www.foxnews.com/us/video-philad ... y-children
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

User avatar

Liberty
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 6108
Joined: Mon Jul 03, 2006 8:49 pm
Location: Galveston
Contact:

Re: Texas Lawmakers Clarify Church Carry Law

#5

Post by Liberty » Sat May 04, 2019 4:05 pm

I thought the law was pretty clear already. Sounds like some feel good legislation, to fix something that isn't broke.

Has there been a problem?
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

User avatar

E10
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 277
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:07 am
Location: El Paso

Re: Texas Lawmakers Clarify Church Carry Law

#6

Post by E10 » Sat May 04, 2019 5:48 pm

Spent the last two days in Philadelphia, this morning at a Shabbat service which featured the welcoming and naming of our new grandson. I think I was probably the only armed congregant, and I spent most of the service scanning the two entrances to the sanctuary for untoward activity. No trouble, but somewhat surprised that there seemed to be no one concerned with security and safety.
We were headed to the airport immediately after the service, and stowed our luggage in a corner near an entrance. No one took any notice at all, as far as I could tell. All this only six months after the shooting at a synagogue just across the state in Pittsburgh.


Tex1961
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 563
Joined: Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:11 am
Location: Frisco, Texas

Re: Texas Lawmakers Clarify Church Carry Law

#7

Post by Tex1961 » Sat May 04, 2019 6:36 pm

E10 wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 5:48 pm
Spent the last two days in Philadelphia, this morning at a Shabbat service which featured the welcoming and naming of our new grandson. I think I was probably the only armed congregant, and I spent most of the service scanning the two entrances to the sanctuary for untoward activity. No trouble, but somewhat surprised that there seemed to be no one concerned with security and safety.
We were headed to the airport immediately after the service, and stowed our luggage in a corner near an entrance. No one took any notice at all, as far as I could tell. All this only six months after the shooting at a synagogue just across the state in Pittsburgh.
Unfortunately what you posted is probably all to common and normal.... I'll make the preface short, but I am now the President of our church counsel and between myself, our Elder, our Pastor and quite a few other members wer'e pretty armed during service... Anyway... Where I'm going with this is that becoming part of the inner workings of the church I've learned there are two kingdoms... The left hand kingdom and the right hand kingdom..... The right hand is of God, whereas the left hand kingdom is of Man... As a member of the church counsel we concentrate on the day to day running of the church... Pay the bills, etc, etc.... So for us Church security and those types of matters are up front for us.... So back to what you were saying.. I think most people are focused on the right hand Kingdom, and as such put to much faith in God to keep them safe... (Please don't get me wrong, I am 100% agreed on faith in God), But they forget the kingdom of man... And man is sinful... Born sinful, and will die sinful.... And is capable of terrible evil.... And not to forget that the Devil lives among us and wants us to commit evil doings.... We must do more to wake up the Church, wake up the faithful and to remind them that evil lives amongst us everywhere, every day.....

I'm glad you posted your observations.. I think they were spot on.....
Mike Troncalli
Owner and operator of Tejas Products "Manufacturer of firearm related accessories and custom laser engraving"
and Certified gun nut. :txflag:

WWW.TEJASPRODUCTS.COM


twomillenium
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 1649
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:42 pm
Location: houston area

Re: Texas Lawmakers Clarify Church Carry Law

#8

Post by twomillenium » Sat May 04, 2019 8:15 pm

This bill is nothing to jump up and down for, it just repeats what is already law.
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

User avatar

jmorris
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 1287
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2008 4:41 pm
Location: Cibolo
Contact:

Re: Texas Lawmakers Clarify Church Carry Law

#9

Post by jmorris » Sat May 04, 2019 8:23 pm

Liberty wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 4:05 pm
I thought the law was pretty clear already. Sounds like some feel good legislation, to fix something that isn't broke.

Has there been a problem?
I still occasionally run into license holders who think you can't carry into church, either because (i) was not properly explained to them* or they've forgotten it. In conversations with one of the elders of our church he mentioned being told by a local police detective that the church didn't have to post because carry in churches was prohibit.

*At the instructor class, the slides that DPS uses on this are ...inadequate... The state something like "Carry in church is prohibited" and then in smaller print below "must be posted in accordance with PC30". After the instructor covered that I heard someone behind me ask his neighbor "so you still can't carry in church?"
Jay E Morris, Guardian Firearm Training, NRA Pistol, LTC, Cibolo, Tx
NRA Lifetime
TSRA Lifetime (as of my 2019 official old fart birthday)
NRA Recruiter (link)


crazy2medic
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 1501
Joined: Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:59 am

Re: Texas Lawmakers Clarify Church Carry Law

#10

Post by crazy2medic » Sun May 05, 2019 7:18 am

The one time I heard "God will protect us" my reply was God said "A wise man sees trouble and avoids it, a fool continues on and suffers for it" the look I got was priceless!
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention

User avatar

KC5AV
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 1886
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 5:24 pm
Location: Marshall

Re: Texas Lawmakers Clarify Church Carry Law

#11

Post by KC5AV » Sun May 05, 2019 7:24 am

jmorris wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 8:23 pm
Liberty wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 4:05 pm
I thought the law was pretty clear already. Sounds like some feel good legislation, to fix something that isn't broke.

Has there been a problem?
I still occasionally run into license holders who think you can't carry into church, either because (i) was not properly explained to them* or they've forgotten it. In conversations with one of the elders of our church he mentioned being told by a local police detective that the church didn't have to post because carry in churches was prohibit.

*At the instructor class, the slides that DPS uses on this are ...inadequate... The state something like "Carry in church is prohibited" and then in smaller print below "must be posted in accordance with PC30". After the instructor covered that I heard someone behind me ask his neighbor "so you still can't carry in church?"
The problem with those slides is that they have to get by the legal department.
NRA lifetime member


baytownb
Junior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:28 am

Re: Texas Lawmakers Clarify Church Carry Law

#12

Post by baytownb » Sun May 05, 2019 7:46 am

I guess it's good to clarify or reinforce, but what they should really have been doing is clarifying the "premises" issue in public buildings. Several county buildings are still illegally posting 30.06 and 30.07 signs. And the AG won't do anything until the Austin case runs through appeals and neither will the courthouses until they are forced to. Until then the county officials will keep violating the law and lying about what they are doing. I didn't see anything on that did anyone file a bill to clarify that?

Post Reply

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”