Moving my guns to a trust, but not an NFA gun trust

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
texas yankee
Posts in topic: 1

Moving my guns to a trust, but not an NFA gun trust

Post by texas yankee »

I'm having an attorney create a trust for my assets - house, investments, etc. - I'd like for the trust to own my firearm collection, as well - I don't have any NFA items requiring an NFA gun trust, just regular rifles and pistols - is anyone familiar with the process to move guns that I own here in Texas into a trust? Thanks in advance for any guidance.
What's in it for me ? :patriot:

KLB
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Moving my guns to a trust, but not an NFA gun trust

Post by KLB »

Ask the lawyer preparing the trust to look into that.

KLB

Post by KLB »

Also ask the lawyer whether you are turning an exempt asset into a non-exempt one. This bears upon whether the guns could be taken in partial satisfaction of a judgment entered against you.

Bushwhacker
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Bushwhacker »

If I pay a lawyer to draft trust documents, I expect them to answer these kinds of questions.

If not, I would ask myself why I'm paying a lawyer instead of using Quicken Willmaker to do the trust. By the same token, if I pay an accountant to prepare my income tax return instead of using TurboTax, I expect them to answer questions and provide a higher level of service than a software package costing 90% less.

That said, Texas doesn't have a universal background check for firearm transfers (yet) so ordinary Title I firearms can be transferred the same as any other asset. However, you haven't paid me, and this isn't legal advice. :lol:
I prefer peace, but if trouble must come, let it be in my time that my children may know peace.

https://i.imgur.com/BcHTIe2.jpg

Bushwhacker
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Bushwhacker »

KLB wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:49 pm Also ask the lawyer whether you are turning an exempt asset into a non-exempt one. This bears upon whether the guns could be taken in partial satisfaction of a judgment entered against you.
Personally I would be more concerned about the primary residence than two firearms. PROP § 42.002
I prefer peace, but if trouble must come, let it be in my time that my children may know peace.

https://i.imgur.com/BcHTIe2.jpg

KLB

Post by KLB »

Bushwhacker wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:58 pm Personally I would be more concerned about the primary residence than two firearms. PROP § 42.002
You are, of course, correct.

Return to “Off-Topic”