Ever Eaten Raw Beef?

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

User avatar

RoyGBiv
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 5
Posts: 8177
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:41 am
Location: Fort Worth

Re: Ever Eaten Raw Beef?

#31

Post by RoyGBiv » Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:43 pm

Abraham wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:46 am
74novaman,

Are you from someplace in Africa?

The only mention of 'biltong' I've seen were all located there.

How long do you let it dry and do you use cheese cloth to keep the flys off or ...?

Thanks!
We dry-age beef wrapped in cheesecloth, but in the fridge. No flies in there... :mrgreen:
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Image
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

User avatar

gtolbert09
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 244
Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:35 pm
Location: Flower Mound,Tx

Re: Ever Eaten Raw Beef?

#32

Post by gtolbert09 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:43 pm

Mad Cow Disease? I was stationed at RAF Lakenheath, UK in the early 90's when Mad Cow Disease broke out. Because of that I'm restricted by the gov't from donating blood. Yes humans can be affected by it. I've had no ill effects, but I make sure all my beef is at least medium before consuming it.
USAF 1983-1994
NRA LifeTime Member
TSRA Member


rotor
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 5
Posts: 3326
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:26 pm

Re: Ever Eaten Raw Beef?

#33

Post by rotor » Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:13 pm

gtolbert09 wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:43 pm
Mad Cow Disease? I was stationed at RAF Lakenheath, UK in the early 90's when Mad Cow Disease broke out. Because of that I'm restricted by the gov't from donating blood. Yes humans can be affected by it. I've had no ill effects, but I make sure all my beef is at least medium before consuming it.
I believe you have to eat brain or spinal cord to get mad cow and apparently the prions are not destroyed with heat. Hard to believe.


WTR
Banned
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 1931
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:41 pm

Re: Ever Eaten Raw Beef?

#34

Post by WTR » Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:36 pm

rotor wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:13 pm
gtolbert09 wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:43 pm
Mad Cow Disease? I was stationed at RAF Lakenheath, UK in the early 90's when Mad Cow Disease broke out. Because of that I'm restricted by the gov't from donating blood. Yes humans can be affected by it. I've had no ill effects, but I make sure all my beef is at least medium before consuming it.
I believe you have to eat brain or spinal cord to get mad cow and apparently the prions are not destroyed with heat. Hard to believe.
That is the case and infections did occur. If you have ever spent any time in a slaughter house you would be appalled at the easy with which contamination happens.


MaduroBU
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 563
Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2016 9:11 am

Re: Ever Eaten Raw Beef?

#35

Post by MaduroBU » Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:42 pm

Grind your own from steak that has been aged. Dry aging beef will root out contaminated meat (vs cooking to kill the pathogens). I'm pretty permissive with food safety, but eating uncooked preground beef puts a lot of faith in a meat packing industry that was putting its faith in you to cook thir product.


WTR
Banned
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 1931
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:41 pm

Re: Ever Eaten Raw Beef?

#36

Post by WTR » Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:47 pm

MaduroBU wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:42 pm
Grind your own from steak that has been aged. Dry aging beef will root out contaminated meat (vs cooking to kill the pathogens). I'm pretty permissive with food safety, but eating uncooked preground beef puts a lot of faith in a meat packing industry that was putting its faith in you to cook thir product.
Just look at the millions of pounds of ground beef which is recalled each year due to bacterial contamination. Brain is also a popular food in the UK. I know my Mom used to make brains and eggs for us when I was a kid.


BigGuy
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 715
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:36 am
Contact:

Re: Ever Eaten Raw Beef?

#37

Post by BigGuy » Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:10 pm

More years ago than I care to remember, in college. I'd been living on rice and oatmeal for weeks. I finally got a little money and went an bought a couple of steaks. I was getting ready to cook them when suddenly I just grabbed one and started eating it raw. I hadn't planned to, but I just couldn't stop myself. I cooked the other one, and haven't eaten raw meat since. I don't know exactly what came over me, and I wondered about it.

User avatar

Oldgringo
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 11127
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:15 pm
Location: Pineywoods of east Texas

Re: Ever Eaten Raw Beef?

#38

Post by Oldgringo » Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:51 pm

I like Jalapeño Poppers. :cheers2:


MaduroBU
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 563
Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2016 9:11 am

Re: Ever Eaten Raw Beef?

#39

Post by MaduroBU » Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:00 pm

BigGuy wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:10 pm
More years ago than I care to remember, in college. I'd been living on rice and oatmeal for weeks. I finally got a little money and went an bought a couple of steaks. I was getting ready to cook them when suddenly I just grabbed one and started eating it raw. I hadn't planned to, but I just couldn't stop myself. I cooked the other one, and haven't eaten raw meat since. I don't know exactly what came over me, and I wondered about it.
A guess is that you were iron deficient. People with iron deficiency will develop a nearly uncontrollable urge to eat things ranging from ice chips to steaks to rocks. These are not psych patients mind you, but normal people whose reptile brains are sending them signals that they can't really interpret but which are nonetheless very hard to stave off.

User avatar

puma guy
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 6429
Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:23 pm
Location: Near San Jacinto

Re: Ever Eaten Raw Beef?

#40

Post by puma guy » Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:36 pm

When I was kid my dad would eat raw ground beef on crackers with onion. He told me as a young man he would patronize a bar for lunch that offered raw ground beef as the "lunch". As a struggling veterinarian trying to start a practice with his brother who was also a vet he worked as a meat inspector at a packing plant in the 1940's after the war. He never mentioned people getting sick from processing as they do now a day. Whether his plant was very clean or any news about contamination was quelled I don't know. I was surprised that it was really good. He also started me eating horse radish spooned on crackers as a snack. I wouldn't eat raw meat nowadays. though.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

User avatar

SQLGeek
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 3177
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:48 am
Location: Richmond, TX

Re: Ever Eaten Raw Beef?

#41

Post by SQLGeek » Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:51 pm

I tried steak tartare once. It did nothing for me. I prefer some heat and sear on my beef and reserve eating raw animal for seafood.
Psalm 91:2

User avatar

03Lightningrocks
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 4
Posts: 9385
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:15 pm
Location: DFW area

Re: Ever Eaten Raw Beef?

#42

Post by 03Lightningrocks » Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:54 pm

I will eat Sushi and such but raw beef is best left for the dog.

User avatar

SpringerFan
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 354
Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:30 pm
Location: Tomball, TX.

Re: Ever Eaten Raw Beef?

#43

Post by SpringerFan » Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:19 am

I'll take mine medium please.
"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."
Col. Jeff Cooper


philip964
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 12166
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:30 pm

Re: Ever Eaten Raw Beef?

#44

Post by philip964 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:03 am

Abraham wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:56 pm
Philip964,

Yes, it counts, but I'm sorry you didn't care for it.

My guess is you had a built in reluctance factor.

Understandable, you're an American with the American attitude of 'holy mak-el Andy, we gonna eat that, it'll make us sick' when it won't.

Getting Americans to even try or consider something that isn't bland, though 'mountain oysters' even though rather bland is a huge stretch for some.

BTW, even turkey fries I find delicious, or beef or ....they're all good, I do prefer them 'fried'.

Brains, not being a zombie, I find gelatinous and not something I'm overly fond of, but will eat them in Menudo.

Years back, on the first leg of a business trip landing in Monterrey, Mexico in ye old company jet, a group of us were treated to lunch of cabrito.

Our host, insisted our metallurgist eat the eye out of the whole roasted critter served as our lunch. He, our guy, apparently thought himself the butt of a bad gustatory joke. He refused this kind offer whereupon our host dug one out of the skull, popped into his mouth and exclaimed ecstasy.

I didn't volunteer to eat it as I didn't want to make our guy look weak...
I'm sorry your right. Just the sight of the giblets bag inside the frozen turkey makes me gag.

User avatar

Deltaboy
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 1137
Joined: Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:52 pm
Location: Johnson County TX

Re: Ever Eaten Raw Beef?

#45

Post by Deltaboy » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:19 am

Yes I had Beef tar tar. But also ate Chitlins, Rabbit, Squirrel, Racoon , Beaver, and Musrat!
I 'm just an Ole Sinner saved by Grace and Smith & Wesson.

Post Reply

Return to “Off-Topic”