"They Shall Not Grow Old"

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: Charles L. Cotton, carlson1

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 4

Re: "They Shall Not Grow Old"

Post by The Annoyed Man » Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:59 pm

AndyC wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:12 pm
What impressed me, apart from the colorizing of the film, was the use of lip-readers:

"Since many of the men in the film are speaking, Jackson wanted to include what they most likely were saying. Forensic lip readers provided a transcript, which was then reenacted by British actors, who, in order to get the accents right, were from the same regions as the soldiers would have been."
Not only that, but they figured out what regions the soldiers would have been from by zooming in real close on the uniforms for clues from the unit patches and uniform styles. It was apparently common at the time for a regiment to be more or less a locally organized thing, so that nearly all the men enrolled in its ranks would be from the same region. So if the unit insignia said the soldier was from the Liverpool Rifles, he likely had a Liverpool accent.
Give me Liberty, or I'll get up and get it myself.—Hookalakah Meshobbab
I don't carry because of the odds, I carry because of the stakes.—The Annoyed Boy

Return to “Off-Topic”