Any pilots in here?

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

PlatinumCouch
Posts in topic: 5

Re: Any pilots in here?

Post by PlatinumCouch » Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:38 pm

I can fly, I'm a pilot

IERW class 88-11 U.S. Army

Many, many hours and many years later, I am an Instructor at FlightSafety International.
I carry, not because I hate what is in front of me, but because I love what is behind me.

DocV
Posts in topic: 1

Post by DocV » Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:46 pm

Take a discovery flight then go get your medical.

AOPA has some resources:
https://www.aopa.org/training-and-safety/learn-to-fly
NRA Lifetime Member
I was addicted to the hokey-pokey, but I turned myself around.

OneGun
Posts in topic: 2

Post by OneGun » Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:07 pm

LDP wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:34 pm
OneGun wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:53 am
The FAA took away by license when I tried to land on runway 37.
I am glad you didn't succeed! You'd have to answer to CN.
I know Chuck knows Victoria's Secret, but he's tight lipped!
Annoy a Liberal, GET A JOB!

Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:30 pm

I am the uninformed speaking the unknown.... But I had read somewhere recently that the average cost between lessons, materials and flight time averaged around 10k to get your basic license.... I can't verify any of that, but was just curious if that was about right.
Mike
Owner of Tejas Products "Manufacturer of firearm related accessories and custom laser engraving.
NRA Pistol Instructor
Range Safety Officer

WWW.TEJASPRODUCTS.COM

LDP
Posts in topic: 6

Post by LDP » Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:59 pm

Tex1961 wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:30 pm
I am the uninformed speaking the unknown.... But I had read somewhere recently that the average cost between lessons, materials and flight time averaged around 10k to get your basic license.... I can't verify any of that, but was just curious if that was about right.
It highly depends on your speed of learning, your school's greed and your start-up capital.
You can easily cut the cost to a fraction if you can train in your own aircraft with a freelance CFI.
That way, you could get your PPL and IR for below your quoted cost if you do it right.
However, I am not saying that it is achievable by everyone, just as a disclaimer.

Mel

Post by Mel » Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:08 pm

Been flying since 1967. Wife got her license in 1985. Built 8 airplanes. Issued Airworthiness Certificates to over 950. Owned my own private airport since 1990.

Yep; We're Pilots!
Mel
Airworthiness Inspector specializing in Experimental and Light-Sport Aircraft since the last Century.

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 8

Post by The Annoyed Man » Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:40 pm

PlatinumCouch wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:38 pm
I can fly, I'm a pilot

Many, many hours and many years later, I am an Instructor at FlightSafety International.
For the uninitiated ignorati such as myself, can you please translate that into English? :mrgreen:
• Give me Liberty or I'll get up and get it myself.
• I don't carry because of the odds, I carry because of the stakes.
• My dream is to have lived my life so well that future generations of leftists will demand my name be removed from buildings.
• Independent Minarchist.

PlatinumCouch

Post by PlatinumCouch » Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:54 pm

The Annoyed Man wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:40 pm
PlatinumCouch wrote:
I can fly, I'm a pilot

For the uninitiated ignorati such as myself, can you please translate that into English? :mrgreen:
Sure, Sorry about the acronyms.
IERW = Initial Entry RotaryWIng (Helicopters). Class #88-11= 11th class of the year 1988
I carry, not because I hate what is in front of me, but because I love what is behind me.

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 8

Post by The Annoyed Man » Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:04 pm

PlatinumCouch wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:54 pm
The Annoyed Man wrote:
PlatinumCouch wrote:
I can fly, I'm a pilot

IERW = Initial Entry RotaryWIng (Helicopters). Class #88-11= 11th class of the year 1988
No problem. Thanks! What does the "initial entry" part mean? My neighbor across the street flew dust off Hueys in Vietnam, and then was a flight instructor in the Army. He later flew for the DEA for a while. He ended up as a flight instructor at Bell, which sent him overseas to instruct the rotary pilots of client militaries in other countries. He lived and taught in Iran for a while before the Shah was deposed. Interesting guy.

We were talking about suppressors one day because he’d asked me about them, and I was telling him how suppressors don’t eliminated the supersonic crack of rifle bullets. I asked him—since he’d been under fire before—if he remembered the sound of that crack. He said the only sound he remembered was the wet slap a bullet makes when it hits one of his crewmen. He didn’t want to talk about that anymore, so I left it alone.
• Give me Liberty or I'll get up and get it myself.
• I don't carry because of the odds, I carry because of the stakes.
• My dream is to have lived my life so well that future generations of leftists will demand my name be removed from buildings.
• Independent Minarchist.

John Galt

Post by John Galt » Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:27 pm

Yes, and owned a flight school and airport years ago.

PlatinumCouch

Post by PlatinumCouch » Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:35 pm

The Annoyed Man wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:04 pm
PlatinumCouch wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:
PlatinumCouch wrote:
I can fly, I'm a pilot

No problem. Thanks! What does the "initial entry" part mean? My neighbor across the street flew dust off Hueys in Vietnam, and then was a flight instructor in the Army. He later flew for the DEA for a while. He ended up as a flight instructor at Bell, which sent him overseas to instruct the rotary pilots of client militaries in other countries. He lived and taught in Iran for a while before the Shah was deposed. Interesting guy.

We were talking about suppressors one day because he’d asked me about them, and I was telling him how suppressors don’t eliminated the supersonic crack of rifle bullets. I asked him—since he’d been under fire before—if he remembered the sound of that crack. He said the only sound he remembered was the wet slap a bullet makes when it hits one of his crewmen. He didn’t want to talk about that anymore, so I left it alone.

I understand completely...

"Initial Entry" is meant as Initial Flight Training (Training a non-pilot to be a pilot) Everything after Initial Flight Training would be considered Transition (I.E. learning a different aircraft type) or Upgrade (I.E. Training to be an Instructor Pilot or Maintenance Test Pilot etc.)
I flew AH-1 Cobra's and AH-64 Apaches during my time in the Military.

All Army Flight Training (with a few exceptions) is done at Ft. Rucker Alabama (better know as "Mother Rucker"). Back in the Vietnam days Flight Training was also conducted at Ft. Wolters Texas.

Flying has been a Great Career thus far except for Army deployments to places where people don't like us so much.
After the Army I did 15 years as an Civilian "AirMedical" pilot before I arrived at "FlightSafety" as a Flight Instructor.

LDP

Post by LDP » Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:37 pm

PlatinumCouch wrote:
Sorry about the acronyms.
Hey, if he wants to be a pilot, he better learn fast.
Maybe the Pilot Acronym Song is a good place to start! :mrgreen: :biggrinjester: :smilelol5:

AndyC
Posts in topic: 2

Post by AndyC » Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:39 pm

PlatinumCouch wrote:
I can fly, I'm a pilot
I betcha that was referencing this:

Remember Kitty Genovese

Amateurs skip safety-checks - pros don't.
Preferred Travel Agent - 72 Virgins Dating Club, Iraq
There's nothing quite like the offer of 230 grains to a man's chest to remind him of his manners

LDP

Post by LDP » Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:44 pm

AndyC wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:39 pm
PlatinumCouch wrote:
I can fly, I'm a pilot
Whoa, completely forgot about that one! And the movie reference didn't click until you pointed it out. :thumbsup:

Thanks! Now you revived a bad movie memory in my head. Gotta get it out. Need to use quotes from other bad movies. :banghead: "I have the need ..."

PlatinumCouch

Post by PlatinumCouch » Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:54 pm

AndyC wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:39 pm
PlatinumCouch wrote:
I can fly, I'm a pilot

You Got It Andy!
I was hoping someone would ! :lol:

Return to “Off-Topic”