12ga recommendations?

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Seburiel
Posts in topic: 2

12ga recommendations?

Post by Seburiel »

Hey, there, all. I'm in the market for a 12ga shotgun, and I want something that's not gonna kill me on the price, but isn't a 'throwaway' either. preferrably something with an extended magazine that I could aftermarket customize a bit. I looked at the saiga, but it's really not my cup of tea (so far as shotguns go, anyway) I'd prefer something more traditional looking (ya know, pump-action, mayyyyybe semi auto).
Just throwing it out there to see what folks think.
thanks,
S.

PS I wouldn't want, or would need to be able to remove, chokes. :)

CainA

Re: 12ga recommendations?

Post by CainA »

For what purpose?

This won't kill you on price:

Purpose: Hunt
http://www.maverickarms.com/pages/88field.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Purpose: HD
http://www.maverickarms.com/pages/88security.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I don't consider it a throwaway either.

-Cain

Topic author
Seburiel

Post by Seburiel »

Sorry, yeah, should have specified HD shotgun. That security model is awfully nice looking. and at under 500$ I could definitely go for that.
thanks!

TxRVer
Posts in topic: 1

Post by TxRVer »

The NEF H&R Pardner Pump Protector is a copy of the Remington 870 and has many interchangeable parts with the 870. It only has a 5 shot capacity in the magazine, but I've heard of people putting extended tubes on them. I believe the price runs about $180 at Academy. At that price you could do a lot of mods and still keep it low.

It's listed at the bottom of the page.
http://www.hr1871.com/Firearms/Shotguns/pardnerPump.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Charlie

longhorn_92

Post by longhorn_92 »

Mossberg 590
“If you try to shoot me, I will have to shoot you back, and I promise you I won’t miss!”

NRA Endowment Member
TSRA Member

Medino

Post by Medino »

I like my Mossberg 500 got it used for $150, new is not much more. 7+1 rounds can take 2 3/4" or 3" with an 18 or 20 inch barrel. Always feeds and is rugged enough for the military so is good enough for me. I haven't added anything more than a stock but it is a common shotgun and i know new parts are easy to find.

Good luck with your search.
Personally, I’m interested in keeping other people from building Utopia, because the more you believe you can create heaven on earth the more likely you are to set up guillotines in the public square to hasten the process.--James Lileks

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

I'm fond of the factory-configured Remington 870 Tactical models. I think you should be able to find one NIB for under $600.

You have a lot of options. In a pump, I'll choose a Tac 870 every time.
Last edited by Skiprr on Tue May 19, 2009 4:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

RKirby

Post by RKirby »

Ahh...shotguns!...right up my alley!

And, since you asked ......in my humble opinion if you are looking for a home defense shotgun for less than $500, you can't go wrong with one of these:

http://www.remington.com/products/firea ... -round.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I bought mine new for less than $300 two years ago. Plan on $350-400 now. If you really plan to use it for home defense, hang a sidesaddle and maybe a light on it and call it done. No need for any more tacti-cool junk to get in the way. Spend the cash you would spend on useless accessories on ammo instead and learn to use your new gun.

Find a tactical shotgun match in your area and learn to operate your gun under stress in a simulated combat environment. It's similar to an IDPA match, except for shotguns instead of handguns. If you ever have a chance to shoot a tactical match you will understand why I believe in keeping accessories to a minimum on a gun you trust your life to. You don't need a sling that will hang up on a piece of furniture and jerk the gun out of your hands, or a heat shield that comes loose due to recoil and jams up the forearm rendering your gun useless. Been there, done that as they say.

You might also look for used 870P or an 870 Wingmaster and add an 18" barrel and a two round mag extension. Both can be found in this same price range. I have owned a truck load of shotguns over the years, some expensive and some not...I'm a shotgun junkie. :mrgreen: IMHO , their is no better value than a Remington 870 Express. Take care of it and it'll last two lifetimes.
Last edited by RKirby on Tue May 12, 2009 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Superior firepower is an invaluable tool when entering into negotiations." - G. Patton

flb_78

Post by flb_78 »

I have a Mossy 590 20", 8+1, loaded alternately with buck and slugs.
http://www.AmarilloGunOwners.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Barron76

Post by Barron76 »

I would take a Remington 870 Home Defense or Mossberg 590 for sure!

Actually, I'm saving up for the 870 HD now... :drool:

Samurai Blur

Post by Samurai Blur »

I've had a Mossberg 500 for about five years now, and I love it. I wanna say you can get a new one for just over $200 thesedays (last I checked was a few months ago). I use it more than any gun I own. Bird hunting, skeet shooting and all that. It's had thousands of rounds of all types of ammo go through it and it still feels just as good as it did the day I bought it. IT's cheap in price, but definitely NOT a cheap gun.

M9FAN

Post by M9FAN »

Winchester Defender 1300. :thumbs2:
"Upon the conduct of each depends the fate of all." - Alexander the Great

MoJo

Post by MoJo »

I had a Maverick - - - it was a pile of junk. Buy an 870 or a 500.
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

WhiteLightning

Post by WhiteLightning »

Two words.............. Benelli Nova ........... I love mine!!! :cheers2:

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”