Opinions on Henry Lever .22's

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
barres
Posts in topic: 3

Opinions on Henry Lever .22's

Post by barres »

Specifically the Youth model, H001Y.

I am wanting to buy my son his own .22 rifle. He loves to go to the range with me, but he shoots my .22 pistol, because he cannot comfortable hold my .22 rifle. It is simply too big for him. Since he has a good bit of experience with shooting and gun safety, I know he will not be satisfied with a single-shot rifle. That has led me to the Henry Youth Lever action .22 rifle.

Have any of you had any experience with Henry lever action rifles in general or the Youth model .22 in particular? I have found a relatively local gun shop that has one in stock for $244, which is an even better price than I can find on-line, but I want to know if this is a quality firearm. I want to buy my son a first rifle that he can give to his son someday as his first rifle. Any input you can give will be greatly appreciated!
Remember, in a life-or-death situation, when seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

Barre

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Opinions on Henry Lever .22's

Post by Oldgringo »

I have the 18" carbine model and it does what it's supposed to do. I'd rather have a Marlin 39-A but they are almost impossible to find and cost at least twice what a Henry does. IMO, you and your son will be well served with the Henry lever action .22. Incidentally, the price you posted is some $10-15 less than Wal-Mart charges for the rifle.

Warhawk

Post by Warhawk »

I have an old Iver Johnson (made by Erma in West Germany) lever action .22. This is the gun the Henry is patterned after. They are so much the same that I used new Henry stock and fore arm to replace the old varnished hardwood. It fit perfectly.

I've had this gun for about 20 years and it's seen thousands of rounds of cheap .22 ammo. Never a hiccup of any kind. It was obviously well used when I got it, so there is no telling how many rounds it's seen. It's also very accurate.

I bought my grandson a Henry youth model when he was 2 years old, he's five now and almost ready to start shooting (under close supervision of course). The only negatives about the new Henry is that the front sight and barrel bands are plastic. But Henry has metal replacements that are cheap enough.

particle

Post by particle »

I was just about to post about the cheap plastic parts on the Henry. I was shocked and disappointed to find plastic on the rifle, but glad to know there is replacement parts available, though I don't remember seeing them on the website. Thanks for the tip!

I've never shot mine - only had it about two months, but it seems nice enough otherwise for my purposes - it will be my son's first rifle when he's old enough to shoot. I bought the large loop carbine.
http://www.adamsleatherworks.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Rex B
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Rex B »

The Henrys are nice, dependable, accurate guns, but I would not call them heirloom quality. Plastic and potmetal rule that out.
In lever guns, heirloom means a 39a or a 9422, neither of which are appropriate for a kid. The first is too big, the 2nd too expensive.
That doesn't mean a Henry won't give good service and many memorable days in the field for your son.
Frankly, if I were buying a new .22 rifle that I wanted to last for a couple generations, it would probably be a Marlin bolt action, tube fed.
But I understand the attraction of lever guns. I have a half dozen or so, including a Henry H001

My first rifle was an Ithaca 49er single shot, a birthday present in the 1960s when I was 14. I sold that thing for $40 ten years ago, and I'm kicking myself ever since. But I mentioned that to a friend, who said his first gun was also an Ithaca 49, and his was like new after a careful restoration. Some years later that one is now mine, possibly for a future grandchild.
-----------
“Sometimes there is no alternative to uncertainty except to await the arrival of more and better data.” C. Wunsch

jeeperbryan

Post by jeeperbryan »

I like mine. American made.

Ross

Post by Ross »

Does Henry make a .22mag lever action???
Ross
San Antonio

Mike1951
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Mike1951 »

Ross wrote:Does Henry make a .22mag lever action???
plain - H001M

Golden Boy -H004M
Mike
AF5MS
TSRA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member

Mike1951
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Mike1951 »

plain - H001M

Golden Boy -H004M
Mike
AF5MS
TSRA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member

Rex B

Post by Rex B »

Hmmmm may have to look for one of those.
-----------
“Sometimes there is no alternative to uncertainty except to await the arrival of more and better data.” C. Wunsch

Ross

Post by Ross »

Mike1951 wrote:
plain - H001M

Golden Boy -H004M
Thanks. Need to check them out. I'm in a .22mag mood right now.

:tiphat:
Ross
San Antonio

JLaw

Post by JLaw »

barres,

I bought my son the exact rifle you are looking into. The youth model fits him like a glove (he's 9 years old). We scoped it with an inexpensive rimfire scope. The action on his Henry is much slicker than my Winchester 94. No problems as of yet, matter of fact a full size Henry is on my want list!

In my opinion the quality is above par for what you are paying and the accuracy is great.

JLaw
Six for sure.

ml1209

Post by ml1209 »

They are nice rifles. I love lever actions.

Topic author
barres

Post by barres »

Shhhhh!!!! Don't tell my son! I bought him the Henry Youth Lever .22 for his birthday next month. It is a beautiful rifle. I just wish I could put it through its paces a little before handing it over to him. :grumble I can't get pictures right now, for obvious reasons. Thank you to all who helped with your opinions of the Henry line, nd the H001Y model in particular. Pictures to come when I can.
Remember, in a life-or-death situation, when seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

Barre

MCook806

Post by MCook806 »

Congrats and I am sure he will LOVE it. :)

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”