Campus carry poll

Colleges are places to learn, not die at the hands of attention-starved mass-murderers.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

What SHOULD campus carry bill include?

Poll ended at Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:10 am

Nothing. Carrying guns around students should never be allowed.
No votes
Legal carry for licensed faculty and staff on college and university campuses, but not students
No votes
Legal carry for licensed adults on college and university campuses
13%
Legal carry for licensed adults on ANY school premises (pre-school through PhD level), but not at sporting events or other such interscholastic competitions
7%
Legal carry for licensed adults on ANY school premises and ANY school-sponsored activity, including sporting events etc
80%

Total votes: 83

RPB
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Campus carry poll

Post by RPB »

troglodyte wrote:
my point was simply that if we can trust our children's minds to the folks in the school district, we can surely trust the CHLers a bit more.
Liberty, I apologize. I did not pick up on this in your previous post. One of the perils of the faceless Internet...and probalby just as much...being tired and testy.

I keep waiting to hear the "rest of the story" from Harrold ISD. I guess no news is good news in this case.
OK, Here's the latest news

The Annual Harrold School Spring Concert was held in the Harrold Gym Monday, May 24, 2010 ... apparently without incident.
http://harroldisd.net/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Interesting, no news report of anyone's gun hitting the floor in the bathroom nor any ND or AD nor anyone's gun flying out of a holster by itself in the Gym and just going off by itself nor switching to full-auto mode and wiping out the crowd. hmmmm

================
Old article, correct thinking:
Superintendent David Thweatt told FOXNews.com the policy was initiated because of safety concerns.

The Texas superintendent linked gun-free zones with the uprising of school shootings in recent years.

"When you make schools gun-free zones, it's like inviting people to come in and take advantage," Thweatt told FOXNews.com.

http://www.mytexasmag.com/blog/news/tex ... -pack-heat" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

J.R.@A&M

Post by J.R.@A&M »

I voted for Choice 3, mainly from a political-tactical standpoint.

In addition, one of the best practical arguments for campus carry is the protection it affords to students, staff, and faculty en route to campus. This gets around the anti's argument that college campuses are relatively safe when the areas surrounding many college campuses are NOT. Prohibiting licensed carry in college buildings effectively prevents CHLers from carrying en route to campus if they walk, bike, or ride the bus. This is less of an issue for school children being transported to school.
“Always liked me a sidearm with some heft.” Boss Spearman in Open Range.

booming357

Post by booming357 »

I attend a smaller university in Texas (roughly 13000 students) and the school has not yet allowed chlers to carry on campus. Frankly i dont even think the issue has been raised. We do have campus police but they just sit in their cars and drive around the parking lots and such. I never see them walking around campus or in the buildings. I hate leaving my pistol in my truck when i walk to class. In the past year, we have had several alerts of a person on campus with a gun. One in particular..a person was in a large croud and fired a shot into the air. The campus is in the low end of town, not lit well at night, and is not safe. I want to approach the school board about allowing chlers to carry but dont know the best way of doing so. I imagine that i should get all my facts and arguments together. i also want to get some of my fellow students to accompany me. Tips please?

dicion

Post by dicion »

mymojo wrote:Aren't K-12 under a federal no gun legislation?
LarryH wrote:Texas may not be able to change much for primary through high school, because Federal law covers them.
Yes and No... See Below.
US Code TITLE 18, PART I, CHAPTER 44, § 921
(a)
(2) The term “interstate or foreign commerce” includes commerce between any place in a State and any place outside of that State, or within any possession of the United States (not including the Canal Zone) or the District of Columbia, but such term does not include commerce between places within the same State but through any place outside of that State. The term “State” includes the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, and the possessions of the United States (not including the Canal Zone).
(25) The term “school zone” means—
(A) in, or on the grounds of, a public, parochial or private school; or
(B) within a distance of 1,000 feet from the grounds of a public, parochial or private school.
US Code TITLE 18, PART I, CHAPTER 44, § 922
(q)
(2)
(A) It shall be unlawful for any individual knowingly to possess a firearm that has moved in or that otherwise affects interstate or foreign commerce at a place that the individual knows, or has reasonable cause to believe, is a school zone.
(B) Subparagraph (A) does not apply to the possession of a firearm—
(i) on private property not part of school grounds;
(ii) if the individual possessing the firearm is licensed to do so by the State in which the school zone is located or a political subdivision of the State, and the law of the State or political subdivision requires that, before an individual obtains such a license, the law enforcement authorities of the State or political subdivision verify that the individual is qualified under law to receive the license;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun-Free_S ... ct_of_1990" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It was subsequently declared to be an unconstitutional exercise of Congressional authority under the Commerce Clause of the United States Constitution by the United States Supreme Court, and was therefore voided. This case, United States v. Lopez (1995), was the first time in over half a century that the Supreme Court limited Congressional authority to legislate under the Commerce Clause.

See also United States v. Morrison (2000), in which the U.S. Supreme Court also ruled that Congress lacked the authority to enact such laws even when there was evidence of aggregate effect.

Congress re-enacted the law in the GFSZ Act of 1996, following the Supreme Court's ruling, correcting the technical defects identified by the Court by adding wording placing the burden on the prosecutor to prove an additional element, that the "firearm has moved in or otherwise affects interstate commerce."[1].
So In addition to the CHL Exemption, The Federal act also specifically states it has to be a firearm that has "moved in or that otherwise affects interstate or foreign commerce".... So If it's a Firearm made in, owned in, and has never left Texas... ;-)

Just some relevant information for everyone to know.

Return to “Concealed Carry on College Campuses”