SB 354 Senate Meeting Tomorrow at 11:45AM

Colleges are places to learn, not die at the hands of attention-starved mass-murderers.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
txsccc
Posts in topic: 4

SB 354 Senate Meeting Tomorrow at 11:45AM

Post by txsccc »

John Woods has sent a bunch of messages out trying to get people out---it's time to rally our troops as well. Here's the message all our members received:

Senate Hearing at 11:45am
Senate Criminal Justice didn't vote on the bill yesterday in their regular meeting. Instead they're meeting at 11:45am tomorrow (Thursday) in the Senate chambers.

Senator Ellis (512) 463-0113 ) is going to offer an amendment to let public universities opt out. YOU NEED TO CALL HIM AND TELL HIM YOU OPPOSE THIS! Schools can ALREADY decide whether to allow concealed carry on campus or not—this is an underhanded attempt to Gut our Bill.

What you can do?

1. Attend the vote tomorrow.
Meet outside the Senate Chambers at 11:30am. It's 2nd floor, East side of the building. If you're late, the meeting is in the Senate chamber.

You can park in the Capitol Visitor Parking at 12th and San Jacinto. Feel free to bring a small sign or your Official SCCC T-Shirt

2. Support Sen. Wentworth: DO NOT let public schools opt out! (512) 463-0125.

We are letting private schools opt out since they are private property but not public universities since they are public property and state funded.

This you’re your absolute Last chance to make sure our bill goes through—call, show up and don’t let continue to deny us our right to self defense. Enough people have been raped and killed already. Show up tomorrow to let them know that Enough is Enough!

Chase Jennings
TXSCCC State Director

CJD
Posts in topic: 1

Re: SB 354 Senate Meeting Tomorrow at 11:45AM

Post by CJD »

I called :thumbs2:

Topic author
txsccc

Post by txsccc »

Thank you!!!

Here's a complete list of senators if you can call all of them. We're just covering our bases here. It took me all of 4 minutes to call all of them (really!)

If you absolutely cannot show up tomorrow, please call the following Senators and tell them to send SB 354 to the floor WITHOUT an opt out amendment (please be clear that we DO NOT want an opt out amendment).

This is one of the most important ways you can help--we can't do this unless we all work together and do our part!

John Whitmire (D) - Chair - (512) 463-0115
Joan Huffman (R) - Vice Chair - (512) 463-0117
John J. Carona (R) - (512) 463-0116
Rodney Ellis (D) - (512) 463-0113
Glenn Hegar (R) - (512) 463-0118
Juan "Chuy" Hinojosa (D) - (512) 463-0120
Dan Patrick (R) - (512) 463-0107

We will post the results on the Facebook Group tomorrow.

fickman

Post by fickman »

Called them all! Only one went to voicemail. Two others simply said they'd pass it along while everybody else also took my name and city. I was honestly surprised they were answering the phones after 5:00 pm. . .

:txflag:
Native Texian

Skaven

Post by Skaven »

Same here called the whole list.

Topic author
txsccc

Post by txsccc »

Please disregard the request that I sent earlier today to come to the capital tomorrow for the vote on SB 345. Those instructions were based on our standard protocol for committee Meetings. However, this is not actually a meeting but simply a desk vote. A desk vote just involves the committee members walking across the chamber floor to the desk of the committee chair and saying “yay” or “nay” on a bill on which they’ve already held a hearing.

There is nothing really to see or hear, and there is not much to be accomplished by our presence there. Therefore, we’d rather you save your time and energy for when we really need people to rally to the capital, which may be very soon.

As for calling Senator Wentworth, he has assured us that he will not, under any circumstances, accept an opt-out amendment for public colleges. Therefore, it makes more sense at this juncture to focus on the committee members.

It also seems that Senator Ellis is going to offer his “opt-out” amendment come hell or high water, so our focus should be on the 6 other committee members.

So, again, there is no reason for people to come to the Capitol tomorrow, unless you just want to walk the halls and personally tell legislators how much you care about this issue (which we always need people to do).

What we DO need is for people to call the other six committee members (Whitmire, Huffman, Carona, Hegar, Hinojosa, and Patrick) and ask them to pass this bill out of committee Without an opt out amendment.

John Whitmire (D) - Chair - (512) 463-0115
Joan Huffman (R) - Vice Chair - (512) 463-0117
John J. Carona (R) - (512) 463-0116
Rodney Ellis (D) - (512) 463-0113
Glenn Hegar (R) - (512) 463-0118
Juan "Chuy" Hinojosa (D) - (512) 463-0120
Dan Patrick (R) - (512) 463-0107

I apologize for any confusion caused.

Thank you for your continued support!

Chase Jennings
Texas Director, Students for Concealed Carry on Campus

Topic author
txsccc

Post by txsccc »

Thank you for calling! I'll let everyone know what happens tomorrow on the vote

RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

txsccc wrote:Thank you for calling! I'll let everyone know what happens tomorrow on the vote
Thanks

I'm watching full Senate meeting http://www.senate.state.tx.us/bin/live.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; so let us know :tiphat:

10:27 A.M.
Whitmire desk vote/Criminal Justice Committee meeting being moved from Whitmire's desk to the "Betty KING room"
(Due to crowd size? Woods' groupies?)

Motion made, no objections

Betty King Committee Room (2E.20)
http://www.senate.state.tx.us/bin/live.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

Return to “Concealed Carry on College Campuses”