Hipocrisy to the Nines

Colleges are places to learn, not die at the hands of attention-starved mass-murderers.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
pedalman
Posts in topic: 1

Hipocrisy to the Nines

Post by pedalman »

This is from the Central Connecticut State University Recorder.

I like the student's statement at the end of the article.

http://therecorderonline.net/2009/02/24 ... sentation/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Professor Called Police After Student Presentation

Posted by admin on 2/24/09 • Categorized as News

For CCSU student John Wahlberg, a class presentation on campus violence turned into a confrontation with the campus police due to a complaint by the professor.

On October 3, 2008, Wahlberg and two other classmates prepared to give an oral presentation for a Communication 140 class that was required to discuss a “relevant issue in the media”. Wahlberg and his group chose to discuss school violence due to recent events such as the Virginia Tech shootings that occurred in 2007.

Shortly after his professor, Paula Anderson, filed a complaint with the CCSU Police against her student. During the presentation Wahlberg made the point that if students were permitted to conceal carry guns on campus, the violence could have been stopped earlier in many of these cases. He also touched on the controversial idea of free gun zones on college campuses.

That night at work, Wahlberg received a message stating that the campus police “requested his presence”. Upon entering the police station, the officers began to list off firearms that were registered under his name, and questioned him about where he kept them.

They told Wahlberg that they had received a complaint from his professor that his presentation was making students feel “scared and uncomfortable”.

“I was a bit nervous when I walked into the police station,” Wahlberg said, “but I felt a general sense of disbelief once the officer actually began to list the firearms registered in my name. I was never worried however, because as a law-abiding gun owner, I have a thorough understanding of state gun laws as well as unwavering safety practices.”

Professor Anderson refused to comment directly on the situation and deferred further comment.

“It is also my responsibility as a teacher to protect the well being of our students, and the campus community at all times,” she wrote in a statement submitted to The Recorder. “As such, when deemed necessary because of any perceived risks, I seek guidance and consultation from the Chair of my Department, the Dean and any relevant University officials.”

Wahlberg believes that her complaint was filed without good reason.

“I don’t think that Professor Anderson was justified in calling the CCSU police over a clearly nonthreatening matter. Although the topic of discussion may have made a few individuals uncomfortable, there was no need to label me as a threat,” Wahlberg said in response. “The actions of Professor Anderson made me so uncomfortable, that I didn’t attend several classes. The only appropriate action taken by the Professor was to excuse my absences.”

The university police were unavailable for comment.

“If you can’t talk about the Second Amendment, what happened to the First Amendment?” asked Sara Adler, president of the Riflery and Marksmanship club on campus. “After all, a university campus is a place for the free and open exchange of ideas.”

-Shauna Simeone, Asst. Opinion Editor

Rex B

Re: Hipocrisy to the Nines

Post by Rex B »

The 1st Amendment is all well and good until you start talking about something the liberals don't agree with.
Same mentality that produced the "Fairness" Doctrine.

Oh, and it's in Connecticutt. Good on Mr. Wahlberg for standing up for the 2A.
Apparently he isn't related to Mark.
-----------
“Sometimes there is no alternative to uncertainty except to await the arrival of more and better data.” C. Wunsch

GhostTX

Post by GhostTX »

Leave a message:

Name: Anderson, Paula
Phone Number: 8322690
Job Title: Lecturer
Department: Communication
Email: andersonpau@ccsu.edu
XD40 Service in Supertuck
"Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey

bdickens

Post by bdickens »

What a pansy!
Byron Dickens

Fangs

Post by Fangs »

I like the comments on her "rate my professor page", they made me smile. :smilelol5:

To quote someone else, "I take comfort in the fact that if this pro-gun / anti-gun argument ever becomes more than verbal, I'll be at a distinct advantage" :txflag: :fire
"When I was a kid, people who did wrong were punished, restricted, and forbidden. Now, when someone does wrong, all of the rest of us are punished, restricted, and forbidden. The one who did the wrong is counselled and "understood" and fed ice cream." - speedsix

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

GhostTX wrote:Leave a message:

{snip}

Email: andersonpau@ccsu.edu
I sent her the following:
Ms. Anderson,

I wonder how it feels to be known nationally as an intellectual coward who would not stand in defense of the First Amendment. The young man whom you persecuted was absolutely no threat to you, nor was he a threat to your other students. He chose to discuss a controversial topic which - per your assignment - was a "relevant issue in the media." Instead of critiquing his position, or grading him on the merits of his argument and presentation, you terrorized him and had him arrested for exercising his free speech right. How far you have strayed from the academic ideal.

I am intimately aware of the echo chamber that is academia. My parents were both professors at Caltech - a far more intellectually rigorous institution apparently than Central Connecticut State University. What you did to that young man was intellectually dishonest, morally cowardly, and of questionable legality. If I were John Wahlberg, I would sue you for violating my civil rights, and I'll bet I could win.

The problem with liberals like you is that they only like free speech if it echoes their own sentiments; but they are terrified by anybody who thinks differently than them. Why is that? I can tell you with certain conviction that it is because your ideas will not stand on their own merits when examined in the cold light of logic and reason. REASON would have demanded that, if you could not present a valid counter-argument, that you would have acknowledged the superiority of his position. Instead, you did your best impersonation of a good little nazi, and turned him over to the SS. How intellectually impoverished! It is people like you who are the biggest threat to democracy in America.

As an academician, you should be ashamed of yourself. You do not deserve to work in an institution of higher learning. You bring disgrace on the ideal of a university as a place where the free exchange of ideas may take place without fear of suppression. Aristotle and Plato would hold you in their contempt for what you did to John Wahlberg.

So do I.

Chris Smith
Grapevine, Texas
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

frazzled

Post by frazzled »

So exactly, on what grounds were the school rent a cops wanting to talk to him?

My response would have been, impolite.

She should be fired. Moreover the person who hired her should be fired as well.

This one is serious lawsuit territory.

TexasComputerDude

Post by TexasComputerDude »

THANK GOD I go to school in East Texas.

I gave a speech similar to this one in my communications class and everyone respected my opinion regardless of whether they shared it or not.

I gave this speech mainly because I late registered and had to give an impromptu speech the moment I walked in the door of class. I figure there is a 90% chance my professor is a liberal because he loves macs, but he just listened and gave me a fair grade at the end.

I have even chatted with professors after class about the RKBA and concealed carry. :txflag:
Glock 30 - main ccw

Purplehood

Post by Purplehood »

I am waiting for the ACLU to step-in and right this matter.

Waiting.

Waiting...
Life NRA
USMC 76-93
USAR 99-07 (Retired)
OEF 06-07

Keith B
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Keith B »

Just found there is another large thread running on this also http://www.texasshooting.com/TexasCHL_F ... 18&start=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Medino

Post by Medino »

Keith B wrote:Just found there is another large thread running on this also http://www.texasshooting.com/TexasCHL_F ... 18&start=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yes it is but this thread was opened a day before the other one.

Make sure and check out some of the quotes they are pretty good.
My favorite
SanAntonioSpectator
March 2, 2009 • 7:15 am

The report or field interview with the professor should have went something like this… (officer = O, professor = P)

O: So what I understand is that the student gave an inclass, required, oral presentation on school violence- is that correct:
P: Yes, but…
O: And during the presentation he opined that had someone been legally carrying a concealed weapon, that person could have intervened and saved lives?
P: Yes, but…
O: And from that your feel he is a threat to you and others?
P: Yes, because…
O: And you are telling me that other students, students complaining to you but not to the police, were also threatened by this non-threat Wahlberg utters?
P: I feel it was a threat!
O: Did he say, “I’ll kill you? I’ll hurt you, I’ll kill everyone in this room, I’ll hurt her or him?”
P: No, but he could have meant that!
O: From, “A person with a lawfully concealed gun could have saved lives, you devine the meaning, ‘I’ll kill my teacher and classmates?” From someone advocatign self-defense you devine criminal threat?
P: But, see…
O: Professor, the student complied with your dictate to give an oral presentation in class. He didn’t issue a threat as defined by state law or local ordinance. I will check him out for any warrants for his arrest. Thank you for reporting this.

Officer hangs up the phone, “Hey, Charley, guess what Professor Anderson just reported…”
Personally, I’m interested in keeping other people from building Utopia, because the more you believe you can create heaven on earth the more likely you are to set up guillotines in the public square to hasten the process.--James Lileks

Keith B
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Keith B »

Medino wrote:
Keith B wrote:Just found there is another large thread running on this also http://www.texasshooting.com/TexasCHL_F ... 18&start=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yes it is but this thread was opened a day before the other one.
Understand. Not locking these, just that others may want to read the other thread. I posted a similar note in the other one point to this thread.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Return to “Concealed Carry on College Campuses”