Questions From a Returning Student

Colleges are places to learn, not die at the hands of attention-starved mass-murderers.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
idrathernot
Posts in topic: 2

Questions From a Returning Student

Post by idrathernot »

I will be resuming my studies at the University of Texas - Austin for the upcoming Spring semester. As I opted (foolishly) to suspend my studies and pursue a full-time career where I thought my passions lie, some time has passed (3 years) since setting forth in a 40 acres classroom.
I will be leaving my corporate job where I was unable to carry and entering another gun-free zone. I'm a little hazy on the specifics and could use a refresher.

I know that I will not be allowed to carry inside a building on campus, does this preclude me from carry on campus grounds themselves? Is this documented in the Texas Penal Code (public school?), or a university policy?

I was unable to store my weapon in my car in the company parking lot due to a "no firearms" clause in the employee handbook (so I parked curbside outside the parking lot on city streets! ha). Does this also apply if I am parking on premises (lot or garage) owned/operated by the university?

I've (just) emailed the Campus Leader of SCCC, is there any other way to get involved?

Thanks!

hheremtp
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Questions From a Returning Student

Post by hheremtp »

idrathernot wrote:I will be resuming my studies at the University of Texas - Austin for the upcoming Spring semester. As I opted (foolishly) to suspend my studies and pursue a full-time career where I thought my passions lie, some time has passed (3 years) since setting forth in a 40 acres classroom.
I will be leaving my corporate job where I was unable to carry and entering another gun-free zone. I'm a little hazy on the specifics and could use a refresher.

I know that I will not be allowed to carry inside a building on campus, does this preclude me from carry on campus grounds themselves? Is this documented in the Texas Penal Code (public school?), or a university policy?

I was unable to store my weapon in my car in the company parking lot due to a "no firearms" clause in the employee handbook (so I parked curbside outside the parking lot on city streets! ha). Does this also apply if I am parking on premises (lot or garage) owned/operated by the university?

I've (just) emailed the Campus Leader of SCCC, is there any other way to get involved?

Thanks!
idrathernot,

you may keep you weapon concealed in the parking lot of the school, Texas law specifically excludes a parking lot of a school as being part of the premises. It may be against school policy to have a gun on campus, but school policy is not law. The worst that would happen if they found it would be to expell you.
Steve

GaryAdrian

Post by GaryAdrian »

Here at UH Main Campus, It is allowed to lock your weapon in the car.
You can conceal on sidewalks, streets, parking lots, etc. Do not enter buildings.

But that's here.
:confused5
NRA Life Member
Texas State Rifle Association
NRA-Certified Firearms Instructor

Topic author
idrathernot

Post by idrathernot »

I looked all over the utexas.edu website and wasn't able to find any university rules pertaining to firearms. I seemed to remember something when I was living in Jester but I'm pretty sure that was dorm specific. Does anyone know the state statute that prohibits carry in campus buildings? Sec. 46.03. PLACES WEAPONS PROHIBITED (1)?

Bonc_CHL

Post by Bonc_CHL »

You know I have looked at the UT site for the Firearm policy and turned up nothing either, please keep us posted on any info you get.
Springfield XD40 Sub-compact
S&W Model 37

Sewer_Ice

Post by Sewer_Ice »

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I have a question pertaining to this.

I read that the law states that Parking lots, sidewalks, and walkways are OK to CC on 30.06 or other prohibited areas. So... There are sidewalks going throughout the campus, would you still be good? I'm sure if you were caught you would get arrested (beat the time but not the ride). Just curious.

boomerang

Post by boomerang »

Sewer_Ice wrote:There are sidewalks going throughout the campus, would you still be good?
30.06 doesn't apply if it's a government school.

Whether it government or private, 46.03 prohibits us from carrying "on the physical premises of a school or educational institution, any grounds or building on which an activity sponsored by a school or educational institution is being conducted, or a passenger transportation vehicle of a school or educational institution, whether the school or educational institution is public or private, unless pursuant to written regulations or written authorization of the institution" and ""Premises" means a building or a portion of a building."
"Ees gun! Ees not safe!"

joe817

Post by joe817 »

:iagree:
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

Sewer_Ice

Post by Sewer_Ice »

boomerang wrote:
Sewer_Ice wrote:There are sidewalks going throughout the campus, would you still be good?
30.06 doesn't apply if it's a government school.

Whether it government or private, 46.03 prohibits us from carrying "on the physical premises of a school or educational institution, any grounds or building on which an activity sponsored by a school or educational institution is being conducted, or a passenger transportation vehicle of a school or educational institution, whether the school or educational institution is public or private, unless pursuant to written regulations or written authorization of the institution" and ""Premises" means a building or a portion of a building."
So, if premesis means a building or a portion of a building... Sidewalks going through campus are not a building. Yet you say any grounds which an activity sponsored by a school is being conducted. So if there is some sort of a field trip, school sponsored charity walk, etc you cannot?
We need a lawyer, where getting into some real gray area. I wouldn't carry on campus anyways, I'll just be a walking defenseless target like everyone else, but it be good to know an answer.

The Habernatho

Post by The Habernatho »

IMO concealed is concealed

marksiwel
Banned

Post by marksiwel »

The Habernatho wrote:IMO concealed is concealed
THINK OF THE CHILDREN!

I still cant believe UT would be Anti-Gun after some of their PRO GUN students help stop a School shooting at the UT Tower.
Most of the Students there dont know why they have a Turtle Pond or what it stands for
In Capitalism, Man exploits Man. In Communism, it's just the reverse

BroTyler
Posts in topic: 6

Post by BroTyler »

Does anyone know for sure if it's okay for us to keep the weapon in our car after we've parked on-campus? I commute about 45 minutes each way and want to CC when I'm on my way to class or to home. I'm fine with not having it on me while I'm in class (since that's a whole other fight), but I'd like to make sure I don't have to check the weapon in with the campus police or leave it at home instead of keeping it on me until I get to class.

SwimFan85

Post by SwimFan85 »

BroTyler wrote:Does anyone know for sure if it's okay for us to keep the weapon in our car after we've parked on-campus? I commute about 45 minutes each way and want to CC when I'm on my way to class or to home. I'm fine with not having it on me while I'm in class (since that's a whole other fight), but I'd like to make sure I don't have to check the weapon in with the campus police or leave it at home instead of keeping it on me until I get to class.
It's legal if you have a CHL. I don't know about school policy but how would they know?
Our chains are forged! Their clanking may be heard on the plains of Boston!
The war is inevitable--and let it come! I repeat it, sir, let it come.

BroTyler
Posts in topic: 6

Post by BroTyler »

Does anyone have a link to case law that supports the position that we can lock the weapon in our vehicle while parked in a campus parking lot? I just want to know for sure, and the CHL laws aren't 100% clear on this topic.

BrianSW99

Post by BrianSW99 »

BroTyler wrote:Does anyone have a link to case law that supports the position that we can lock the weapon in our vehicle while parked in a campus parking lot? I just want to know for sure, and the CHL laws aren't 100% clear on this topic.
I don't know if there's any case law, but what's not clear about the statute?
PC §46.03. PLACES WEAPONS PROHIBITED.
(a) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly pos-
sesses or goes with a firearm, illegal knife, club, or prohibited weapon listed in Section 46.05(a):
(1) on the physical premises of a school or educational institution, any grounds or building on which an activity sponsored by a school or educational institution is being conducted, or a passenger transportation vehicle of a school or educational institution, whether the school or educational institution is public or private, unless pursuant to written regulations or written authorization of the institution;
(c) In this section:
(1) "Premises" has the meaning assigned by Section 46.035.

PC §46.035. UNLAWFUL CARRYING OF HANDGUN BY LICENSE HOLDER.
(3) "Premises" means a building or a portion of a building. The term does not include any public or private driveway, street, sidewalk or walkway, parking lot, parking garage, or other parking area.
I'm not a lawyer, but it looks to me like the parking lot is clearly legal.

Return to “Concealed Carry on College Campuses”