News reporter sent me an E-mail

Colleges are places to learn, not die at the hands of attention-starved mass-murderers.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
RPB
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

News reporter sent me an E-mail

Post by RPB »

Maybe I shouldn't have, but I had previously sent an E-mail to the reporter who wrote the original story on
One local college president says 'no way' to campus guns
http://www.ketknbc.com/news/one-local-c ... ment-39800" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Kilgore college President Dr. Bill Holda

Re: Follow-up to a story you did.

(Basically, I just said I really admire people who believe in "continuing education" and gave a link to Popgun's article.)
http://popgun.wordpress.com/2010/12/30/ ... -his-wife/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
He replied
Hi!
Thanks so much for this information, I had no idea President Holda was doing all of this and that people were still talking about this.

When we ran that initial story, we got flooded with calls about the Luby's misinformation.

So another reporter went back and got an updated statement from President Holda.

But I had no idea all of this was going on and that he's changed his views a little bit.

Who am I speaking with here? Do you know "popgun?" I am definitely thinking this story may be worth a followup if President Holda will talk to us. I would appreciate any suggestions you might have on who we can speak to. Thanks again!
I notified Pop and will leave it in his hands.
Dr. Holda's E-mail address isn't hard to find if the reporter wants it, (Pop's is) and if Pop and Dr. Holda want to talk to the original reporter, they will. (If Dr. Holda is on this site and sees this, you may PM me if you want to, I won't disclose your screen name, if not, that's ok too)
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

Topic author
RPB
Banned

Re: News reporter sent me an E-mail

Post by RPB »

(just an update)
Pop replied to me, he'll contact Dr. Holda and see if they want to talk to the reporter again.
I'm no lawyer

NorthTexas
Posts in topic: 1

Post by NorthTexas »

Thanks for this RPB!

For those who didn't read Popgun's blog/article, you should - I've got a new-found respect for Dr. Holda. The gist is that, after Dr. Holda's Luby's comments, Popgun politely emailed Dr. Holda and opened a dialogue that has resulted in Popgun taking Dr. Holda and his wife to the range and teaching them about shooting and firearms safety. Dr. Holda and his wife have now signed up for a CHL course! :thumbs2: :clapping:

I think we should all be doing more of this type of outreach. The North Texas Marksmen at UNT also opened a dialogue with the writer of an anti-campus carry article in the UNT student newspaper. They took her to the range; two weeks later, she wrote another article that was much more positive, and she admitted that she actually enjoyed shooting! I went from anti-gun to pro-gun several years ago in much the same way. The more people we get interested and engaged, the better protected our 2nd amendment rights will be.
NRA Life Member

Topic author
RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

NorthTexas wrote:Thanks for this RPB!

For those who didn't read Popgun's blog/article, you should - I've got a new-found respect for Dr. Holda. The gist is that, after Dr. Holda's Luby's comments, Popgun politely emailed Dr. Holda and opened a dialogue that has resulted in Popgun taking Dr. Holda and his wife to the range and teaching them about shooting and firearms safety. Dr. Holda and his wife have now signed up for a CHL course! :thumbs2: :clapping:

I think we should all be doing more of this type of outreach. The North Texas Marksmen at UNT also opened a dialogue with the writer of an anti-campus carry article in the UNT student newspaper. They took her to the range; two weeks later, she wrote another article that was much more positive, and she admitted that she actually enjoyed shooting! I went from anti-gun to pro-gun several years ago in much the same way. The more people we get interested and engaged, the better protected our 2nd amendment rights will be.

Nothing makes a person more tolerant of a neighbor's noisy party than being there and havin' fun. :mrgreen:
I'm no lawyer

Return to “Concealed Carry on College Campuses”