Senate Committee Hearing on SB 354

Colleges are places to learn, not die at the hands of attention-starved mass-murderers.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Douva
Posts in topic: 2

Senate Committee Hearing on SB 354

Post by Douva »

In case you haven't already heard, the Senate committee hearing on SB 354 is scheduled for this coming Tuesday (March 22) at 1:30 PM. Here is the official notice: http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/tlodocs/ ... 213301.PDF" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you want more information, here is SCCC's Facebook event page for the hearing: http://www.facebook.com/#!/event.php?ei ... 2047859300" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

apostate
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Senate Committee Hearing on SB 354

Post by apostate »

Do we have any idea when they'll take testimony on SB 354? It appears it's one of ten bills to be discussed at the Senate Criminal Justice committee's public hearing, and the only bill related to CHL laws.

That's a stark contrast to the HB 750 hearing last week, where four of the five bills addressed campus carry in various shape and form (and the fifth would allow armed school board members.)

P.S. It was a pleasure meeting you. Thanks for coming to get me at the Extension rotunda. (I was the 713 area code.)

Topic author
Douva
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Douva »

apostate wrote:Do we have any idea when they'll take testimony on SB 354? It appears it's one of ten bills to be discussed at the Senate Criminal Justice committee's public hearing, and the only bill related to CHL laws.

That's a stark contrast to the HB 750 hearing last week, where four of the five bills addressed campus carry in various shape and form (and the fifth would allow armed school board members.)

P.S. It was a pleasure meeting you. Thanks for coming to get me at the Extension rotunda. (I was the 713 area code.)
I haven't heard, but I suspect they'll take it last so that the people waiting to testify on the other bills won't have to sit through three hours of testimony on SB 354.

PS. It was a pleasure meeting you too.

RPB
Banned
Posts in topic: 7

Post by RPB »

Will "Written Testimony" be taken ant this Senate hearing, like at the House hearing? ... In case I can't make it.
(If the answer is on Facebook, I don't have a Facebook account)

I sent Alice some, in case, (Last time I sent it to TxSCCC and it got copied and distributed) but I don't see instructions or know.

I E-mailed each Senate Committee member Friday, I intend to call today.
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

karl

Post by karl »

Douva wrote:
I haven't heard, but I suspect they'll take it last so that the people waiting to testify on the other bills won't have to sit through three hours of testimony on SB 354.
I sure hope not.
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it to be always kept alive. It will often be exercised when wrong, but better so than not to be exercised at all. I like a little rebellion now and then. It is like a storm in the atmosphere. -Thomas Jefferson

RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

karl wrote:
Douva wrote:
I sure hope not.
That sort of favors the numerous UT students who live close and can stay longest following John (the Pied Piper http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pied_Piper_of_Hamelin" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ) But I wouldn't doubt that's what they might do, put it last.
I'm no lawyer

txsccc

Post by txsccc »

We are still accepting written testimonies--you can send them to txsccc@yahoo.com

Tuesday, March 22 • 1:30pm - 4:30pm will be the Senate Committee Meeting on SB354—we could Really use your support at this meeting—for details, see our event page:

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=1 ... 40&index=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you cannot make this meeting, please at least call the committee members and encourage them to pass this bill out of committee and without any amendments:

John Whitmire (D) - Chair - (512) 463-0115
Joan Huffman (R) - Vice Chair - (512) 463-0117
John J. Carona (R) - (512) 463-0116
Rodney Ellis (D) - (512) 463-0113
Glenn Hegar (R) - (512) 463-0118
Juan "Chuy" Hinojosa (D) - (512) 463-0120
Dan Patrick (R) - (512) 463-0107

RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

I just called

Whitmire will be voting for it. :thumbs2:

Hegar is in favor (she said it before I got my name out) :thumbs2:

Patrick signed onto it, so he supports it :thumbs2:

Corona is for it according to his staff I talked to. :thumbs2:

Ellis I left my name address and number and asked that he vote for it ... to prevent me getting yet another gun stolen from my car on campus where we must store them ....his assistant wrote it all down, will "pass it on". (against it so far)

Hinojosa took my info, and position and a reason or 2, but was non-committal

Huffmann took my info, and position and a reason or 2, but was non-committal
===========

John Whitmire (D) - Chair - (512) 463-0115
Glenn Hegar (R) - (512) 463-0118
John J. Carona (R) - (512) 463-0116
Dan Patrick (R) - (512) 463-0107
Above support it

Below need calling the most:

I'm no lawyer

J.R.@A&M

Post by J.R.@A&M »

Senator Hinojosa's office just told me that he supports the bill "but with an amendment that would allow universities to opt out". The way I heard the staffer say it, it sounded like allow ALL universities to opt out, which would simply give us the status quo, as discussed earlier in the thread about Rep. Fred Brown. I pointed this out to the staffer.
“Always liked me a sidearm with some heft.” Boss Spearman in Open Range.

Cobra Medic

Post by Cobra Medic »

J.R.@A&M wrote:Senator Hinojosa's office just told me that he supports the bill "but with an amendment that would allow universities to opt out". The way I heard the staffer say it, it sounded like allow ALL universities to opt out, which would simply give us the status quo, as discussed earlier in the thread about Rep. Fred Brown. I pointed this out to the staffer.
That is the status quo. Either they're not smart enough to know that, or they know that and they think you're not smart enough to catch them trying to trick you. Either way, it doesn't say good things about them.
This will only hurt a little. What comes next, more so.

RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

That would be like "some" Senators posting 30.06 signs on their doors in the Capitol, and others not, creating a mass of confusion.

So if I take courses in a Junior College to transfer to XXXX for a Degree in "THIS", then they change their policy, and I can forget those and change Majors/Degree Plans/try taking different courses to transfer to YYYYY and a degree in "THAT," unless they opt out next semester, and I'll need to dig ditches if any jobs open up, because I just ran out of tuition money.

(I've actually dug ditches for a living years ago in Dallas in Winter, prior to going back to school, so don't :nono: me about that, they don't get paid enough.)
I'm no lawyer

Jasonw560
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Jasonw560 »

Did my part. Hinojos's aide sounded surprised i was for the bill. They gave me the "I'll let the Senator know" spiel.
NRA EPL pending life member

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government"- Patrick Henry

hirundo82

Post by hirundo82 »

RPB wrote:Below need calling the most:

Just called these 3; said I am a graduate student and CHL holder and support SB354. I also made sure to identify myself as a constituent to Sen. Ellis's office.
"The President does not have power under the Constitution to unilaterally authorize a military attack in a situation that does not involve stopping an actual or imminent threat to the nation." Barack Obama, 12/20/2007

warhorse10_9

Post by warhorse10_9 »

Just finished making the calls. It's kinda weird all of the senators who needed calling took my info, but all of the senators who supported the bill said they didn't need it.
"I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters."
- Frank Lloyd Wright (1868-1959)

"Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler."
- Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Jasonw560

Post by Jasonw560 »

They're suspending rules and they've passed 3 bills in the past 20 minutes I've been watching and listening.

Now, El Paso residents who don't have irrigation can vote in the irrigation district,

something about groundwater,

and out-of-state doctors can practice for longer in under-staffed until they take their TX licensing exam.
NRA EPL pending life member

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government"- Patrick Henry

Return to “Concealed Carry on College Campuses”