John Woods still at it

Colleges are places to learn, not die at the hands of attention-starved mass-murderers.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
RPB
Banned
Posts in topic: 13

John Woods still at it

Post by RPB »

OP ED: Keep guns off college campuses
Author: John Woods
Published: Mar 19, 2011
Last Update: Mar 19, 2011
Views: 130
http://www.readthehorn.com/lifestyle/12 ... e_campuses" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

John also posted his video of him testifying last week on YouTube, but there's about 3 Dr. Suzanna Hupp videos that pop up when his finishes, as well as the ones on the right.
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Uploaded by sgfstexas on Mar 19, 2011
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

Topic author
RPB
Banned

Re: John Woods still at it

Post by RPB »

Columnist: Lawmakers ignore experts by favoring handguns on campus

Sunday, 20 March 2011 16:01
John Woods, The Shorthorn guest columnist
Hits: 26
http://www.theshorthorn.com/index.php/o ... -on-campus" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm no lawyer

Topic author
RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=189629714406424" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Invest in Texas - March to the Capitol
Share · Public Event
Time
Tuesday, March 22 ·
Austin, TX
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=189629714406424" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Students for Gun-Free Schools in Texas
We're supposed to have a Senate hearing on campus handgun legislation, SB 354, on the same day as the Invest in Texas March. Make sure you all show up and testify against it. Oh, and Like our Facebook page!
Testify Against Guns on Campus (Senate: Tuesday 1:30pm)
Time: ‎1:30PM Tuesday, March 22nd
Sorry John, I can't "Like" it. (Really, I don't have a Facebook account, so I can't, even IF I did.) :mrgreen:
I'm no lawyer

Topic author
RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

For a person who was never present at a mass shooting, he sure gets quoted more than Dr. Suzzanna Hupp, who actually was, and had to leave her protection out in a car, like John wants everyone to do.
(I may have posted this before, I forget, sorry if I did, but if I did and you missed it ...)

Here in Las Vegas Nevada paper

Assault victim lobbies for campus gun measure
a story about AMANDA COLLINS
Last edited by RPB on Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.
I'm no lawyer

Thomas

Post by Thomas »

RPB wrote:John also posted his video of him testifying last week on YouTube, but there's about 3 Dr. Suzanna Hupp videos that pop up when his finishes, as well as the ones on the right.
4 likes and 5 dislikes

If any of y'all have a youtube account, click on the little down-thumb on that page.

EDIT: I think any google account will work actually. The login is in the upper right of the page.

bigmoney
Posts in topic: 5

Post by bigmoney »

Thomas wrote:
RPB wrote:John also posted his video of him testifying last week on YouTube, but there's about 3 Dr. Suzanna Hupp videos that pop up when his finishes, as well as the ones on the right.
4 likes and 5 dislikes

If any of y'all have a youtube account, click on the little down-thumb on that page.

EDIT: I think any google account will work actually. The login is in the upper right of the page.
I disliked it. now at 6 likes, 12 dislikes. I think you still have to create a youtube acount, but it gets linked to your google account.

How does a guy who claims to have a chl, not see that if someone there had a weapon, his g/f might still be alive? and i'm tired of listening to these people throwing out these "what if" scenerios. when are they going to realize that a person with serious intent is going to act wether or not they have to walk to their car and back to do it? sure, lets create more gun control laws, that'll stop the bad guy, because he's got such strong morals and ethcal values to begine with. FAIL!!!
Don't choose a username while a stupid insurrance commercial is on the tv
M&P 9c edc
LCP bug
NRA

Topic author
RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

6 likes, 16 dislikes
And .... they removed all the comments :lol:

He's got a long way to go to catch up to Dr. S. Hupp

If campus carry passes in Texas, what will he do for extra income?
His non-profit org is probably spending some to fly in that lady from Ark who was in Chicago visiting kids and others to testify. John stands to lose a lot if/when it passes. He'll have to go to another State to fight there and collect money. Supposedly he Graduates in 2012, so maybe he'll start on another degree elsewhere.
I'm no lawyer

chasfm11
Posts in topic: 1

Post by chasfm11 »

RPB wrote:6 likes, 16 dislikes

His non-profit org is probably spending some to fly in that lady from Ark who was in Chicago visiting kids and others to testify. John stands to lose a lot if/when it passes. He'll have to go to another State to fight there and collect money. Supposedly he Graduates in 2012, so maybe he'll start on another degree elsewhere.
Good riddance. Maybe Mayor Emanuel will welcome him with open arms.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

Jasonw560
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Jasonw560 »

Just disliked it.

How come he looks like he came right out of 1976?
NRA EPL pending life member

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government"- Patrick Henry

bigmoney
Posts in topic: 5

Post by bigmoney »

RPB wrote: And .... they removed all the comments :lol:
I made a comment on the other video from that poster, showing chief acevedo's testimony, which was a discrace in my eyes by the way. They wouldn't allow my post to be displayed and it was nothing more than a CLEAN rebutal argument. But they allow someone to post the statement "when seconds count, the police are minutes away".

John woods and Chief Avecedo's statements are nothing more than what if jokes. Nothing to back up their claims other than trying to cause fear. Maybe someone should inform them that proof and numbers from reputable surveys and government statistics are what will help them out..... oh that's right, all those numbers show that they're wrong. :lol:

Bye Bye John, see ya in Arizona
Don't choose a username while a stupid insurrance commercial is on the tv
M&P 9c edc
LCP bug
NRA

Ameer

Post by Ameer »

deleted
Last edited by Ameer on Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I believe the basic political division in this country is not between liberals and conservatives but between those who believe that they should have a say in the personal lives of strangers and those who do not.

Topic author
RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

Ameer wrote:
RPB wrote:Here in Las Vegas Nevada paper

http://www.lvrj.com/news/assault-victim ... 26894.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Isn't that one of the sue-happy newspapers?
Ooops, Ok I removed the link etc

If people want to Google it, that paper can just pay Google for the referral instead of us sending people there for free so they get hits and higher advertising rates

Thanks for catching that :tiphat:

Just Google Amanda Collins.

W Scott Lewis was trying to tell about her when they cut him off at the Senate hearing on SB 354.
Last edited by RPB on Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm no lawyer

PappaGun

Post by PappaGun »

RPB wrote:6 likes, 16 dislikes

He and Mayor Bloomberg could be a heck of a team.
"Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed, as they are in almost every country in Europe."
- Noah Webster

"All we ask for is registration, just like we do for cars."
- Charles Schumer

Douva
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Douva »

RPB wrote:
Ameer wrote:
RPB wrote:Here in Las Vegas Nevada paper

Just Google Amanda Collins.

W Scott Lewis was trying to tell about her when they cut him off at the Senate hearing on SB 354.
The really sad thing is that I had Mrs. Collins permission to share her story with the committee, and I got cut off before I could tell it. Fortunately, we did provide the committee members with copies of the testimony she delivered to the Nevada Legislature.

Here is the rest of my testimony, starting at the point where I was cut off:
Our opponents chastise Texas legislators for pursuing this legislation despite the recommendations of the Virginia Tech Review Panel. But the Virginia Tech Review Panel never looked at Texas, and it never looked at the colleges that already allow concealed carry on campus. Instead, the panel based its recommendation against allowing concealed carry on campus on comments from students who said they’d be afraid to sit next to someone carrying a gun and on interviews with police officers in New York City—a metropolitan area that does not allow concealed carry.

Our opponents suggest that, because we do not agree with the crime victims on their side of the debate, we are ignoring crime victims altogether. But in truth, there are victims on both sides of this debate.

For a little insight into this issue, I ask you to look back at October 22, 2007. For me, that date will always represent the day Students for Concealed Carry on Campus transitioned from an idea into a movement. That was the first day of our first annual empty holster protest, an event that has since become the signature of our organization. But for one concealed handgun license holder, a young woman by the name of Amanda Collins, that day holds a much different significance.

October 22, 2007, was the day she was brutally raped in a parking garage at the University of Nevada. Because the laws in Nevada are very much like they are here in Texas, she was legally prohibited from carrying her concealed handgun on campus. So, unable to carry the one measure of personal protection she truly desired, she did her best to follow all of the school’s recommended security procedures—she parked in a well lit area close to her classroom and walked back to the parking garage with a group of friends.

After reaching the parking garage and bidding her friends goodbye, she walked carefully toward her car, watching for anything suspicious. Suddenly, a man lunged from the shadows and grabbed her. She quickly saw that this man did not share her respect for the university’s status as a “gun free” zone—he was carrying a handgun.

Last week, Amanda Collins told the Nevada Legislature, which is also considering a campus carry bill, that there were times throughout her traumatic ordeal when she could have put an end to it if only she’d been allowed the same means of personal protection that Nevada law allowed her virtually everywhere else in the state. But because she wasn’t allowed that means of personal protection, she was savagely raped on a cold parking garage floor, just 300 yards from the front door of the campus police department.

So convinced is Amanda that her concealed handgun would have enabled her to prevent the assault that when I asked if I could share her story at this hearing, she offered to come to Texas and testify herself. But rather than put her through a second traumatic hearing in less than one week, we’ve instead provided you with transcripts of the testimony she delivered before the Nevada Legislature. I hope you’ll take the time to review Amanda’s story and see what it means to be truly defenseless.

As Texas Legislators, you have a choice. You can allow this issue to be sidetracked by contrived, hypothetical scenarios that haven’t played out on any of the campuses where concealed carry is currently allowed, or you can look beyond our opponents’ never ending game of make believe and amend Texas law so that it no longer stacks the odds in favor of any depraved lunatic willing to ignore it.

Before I go, I want to leave you with this final thought: The assailant who attacked Amanda Collins went on to rape at least two more women. He was finally apprehended and convicted of these crimes after his final victim was found buried under a rotting Christmas tree in a vacant lot. She’d been dead for almost four weeks.

I thank you for your time and for your consideration of this important bill.
During my practice runs, the entire testimony took about five minutes to read. I think next time I'll just write a 60-minute testimony and then divide it between thirty of our supporters (we asked most of our members to refrain from testifying in person).

Topic author
RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

next time I'll just write a 60-minute testimony and then divide it between thirty of our supporters (we asked most of our members to refrain from testifying in person).
:thumbs2:
I'm no lawyer

Return to “Concealed Carry on College Campuses”