Codename46
Posts in topic: 2

The Brady Bunch has caught on the campus carry movement

Post by Codename46 »

From an e-mail today:
TEXAS: KEEP GUNS OFF COLLEGE CAMPUSES
Tell Your Elected Officials to Oppose "Guns on Campus" Legislation

Dear Texas Brady Campaign Member,

The Texas Legislature will soon be considering two dangerous "Guns on Campus" bills, HB 1893 and SB 1164, that would allow guns on our state's college and university campuses. We need to protect our students and stop this dangerous legislation. Our State Senators and Representatives need to hear from you.

EMAIL YOUR STATE REPRESENTATIVE AND STATE SENATOR TODAY!
"Oppose HB 1893 and SB 1164.
Help keep our students safe by keeping guns off college campuses!"
Click here to email your State Representative and State Senator.

Introducing guns into a volatile environment where binge drinking and drug use are all too prevalent is a recipe for disaster. It would also dramatically increase the risks of suicide and gun thefts.

"Guns on Campus" legislation was rejected in all 17 states where it was introduced last year. Let's make sure Texas is not the first state to pass legislation to allow guns on campus.

Here is what you can do today:

1. E-mail Your Texas State Representative and State Senator TODAY!
"Oppose HB 1893 and SB 1164. Help keep our students safe by keeping guns off college campuses!"
Click here to e-mail your State Representative and State Senator

2. Forward this e-mail to friends, family, and colleagues in Texas, especially anyone you know in the education community or who has children in college.

3. Click here to contribute to our efforts in Texas and across the country.

Click here for more information on this legislation and the attempts by the gun lobby to pass it across the country.

To get involved with our Texas Brady Campaign Chapters please visit our website by clicking here!

We must stop this dangerous bill and keep our colleges and universities safe! Please take action TODAY!

Sincerely,
Paul Helmke Signature [image]
Paul Helmke, President
Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence

Keith B
Posts in topic: 1

Re: The Brady Bunch has caught on the campus carry movement

Post by Keith B »

Codename46 wrote:From an e-mail today:
TEXAS: KEEP GUNS OFF COLLEGE CAMPUSES
Tell Your Elected Officials to Oppose "Guns on Campus" Legislation

Dear Texas Brady Campaign Member,

The Texas Legislature will soon be considering two dangerous "Guns on Campus" bills, HB 1893 and SB 1164, that would allow guns on our state's college and university campuses. We need to protect our students and stop this dangerous legislation. Our State Senators and Representatives need to hear from you.

EMAIL YOUR STATE REPRESENTATIVE AND STATE SENATOR TODAY!
"Oppose HB 1893 and SB 1164.
Help keep our students safe by keeping guns off college campuses!"
Click here to email your State Representative and State Senator.

Introducing guns into a volatile environment where binge drinking and drug use are all too prevalent is a recipe for disaster. It would also dramatically increase the risks of suicide and gun thefts.

"Guns on Campus" legislation was rejected in all 17 states where it was introduced last year. Let's make sure Texas is not the first state to pass legislation to allow guns on campus.

Here is what you can do today:

1. E-mail Your Texas State Representative and State Senator TODAY!
"Oppose HB 1893 and SB 1164. Help keep our students safe by keeping guns off college campuses!"
Click here to e-mail your State Representative and State Senator

2. Forward this e-mail to friends, family, and colleagues in Texas, especially anyone you know in the education community or who has children in college.

3. Click here to contribute to our efforts in Texas and across the country.

Click here for more information on this legislation and the attempts by the gun lobby to pass it across the country.

To get involved with our Texas Brady Campaign Chapters please visit our website by clicking here!

We must stop this dangerous bill and keep our colleges and universities safe! Please take action TODAY!

Sincerely,
Paul Helmke Signature [image]
Paul Helmke, President
Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence

Instead of trying to stop guns on campus, why don't they try to campaign against the binge drinking and drugs they listed as prevalent on campus. :banghead:
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

roberts
Banned

Post by roberts »

Let's make sure Texas is not the first state to pass legislation to allow guns on campus.
They have nothing to worry about. Utah beat us to it.
THE SECOND AMENDMENT IS NOT ABOUT DUCK HUNTING

TrueFlog

Post by TrueFlog »

roberts wrote:
Let's make sure Texas is not the first state to pass legislation to allow guns on campus.
They have nothing to worry about. Utah beat us to it.
As have many other states that permit individual schools to set their own policies.
"Guns on Campus" legislation was rejected in all 17 states where it was introduced last year.
The Brady gal used this same argument against Charles on the radio the other night - since other states have rejected it, that de facto means it's a bad idea. I wonder if they feel the same way about women's suffrage, abolition and integration, or any other fundamental right that took many, many attempts to restore.

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

Keith B wrote:

Instead of trying to stop guns on campus, why don't they try to campaign against the binge drinking and drugs they listed as prevalent on campus.
You beat me to it. I will add that it is illegal for underage folk to buy alcohol and I reckon nobody's supposed to do non-prescription drugs. So, why not enforce the laws already on the books?

txfireguy2003

Post by txfireguy2003 »

Me thinks that if we ciruclate this among enough of our likeminded friends, we could do just what the e-mail asks us to do...E-mail our representatives, and all the things she wants the antis to do, let's all do it from our perspective and promote the bill. I'll send an e-mail right now.

shootthesheet

Post by shootthesheet »

I do hope everyone on our side writes our elected servants on this and every gun related issue. Brady has money because of a few rich donors but much less of a following among the people of this country and state. We are the voice of the people and it is up to us to spend the time, effort, and money to defeat every anti-rights organization to include Sara and her followers. That is done with our calls, letters, and e-mails. If we don't do it we will lose our privileges and rights.
:txflag:
http://gunrightsradio.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

MTICop

Post by MTICop »

Keith B wrote:
Codename46 wrote:
Instead of trying to stop guns on campus, why don't they try to campaign against the binge drinking and drugs they listed as prevalent on campus. :banghead:
:iagree: Exactly what I was thinking when I read it.
Adversity doesn't build character....it reveals it.

USAF (Retired)
NRA Life Member
NRA Basic Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer

KD5NRH

Post by KD5NRH »

txfireguy2003 wrote:Me thinks that if we ciruclate this among enough of our likeminded friends, we could do just what the e-mail asks us to do...E-mail our representatives, and all the things she wants the antis to do, let's all do it from our perspective and promote the bill. I'll send an e-mail right now.
I always prefer to send it on paper; they might be using something to auto-parse email for the salient points, whereas a half-page or so letter is easier to read the old-fashioned way rather than scan/OCR/auto-parse. There's less chance of a human reader interpreting it exactly opposite of the intent than an automated system doing the same.

Besides, a stack of letters just looks more influential than a full email inbox.

glocklvr

Post by glocklvr »

Codename46 wrote:Introducing guns into a volatile environment where binge drinking and drug use are all too prevalent is a recipe for disaster. It would also dramatically increase the risks of suicide and gun thefts.
this 1 line drives me crazy :banghead: I can count atleast 5 points to argue possibly more I work around some anti's that use the same arguement and refuse to listen to logical facts
It is easier to get an airport security clearance than a CHL

TxDrifter

Post by TxDrifter »

I would think it would dramatically reduce the thefts since they would be on their person rather than in a car or a shared house or apartment.
USAF Veteran
Lifetime NRA Member
Do or do not, there is no try.
For those who fought for it, freedom has a taste the protected will never know.

Topic author
Codename46

Post by Codename46 »

TxDrifter wrote:I would think it would dramatically reduce the thefts since they would be on their person rather than in a car or a shared house or apartment.
The campus cops at UT think campus carry would INCREASE theft because criminals will now steal backpacks looking for guns in them.

Worst. Excuse. Ever.

Douva

Post by Douva »

Codename46 wrote:
TxDrifter wrote:I would think it would dramatically reduce the thefts since they would be on their person rather than in a car or a shared house or apartment.
The campus cops at UT think campus carry would INCREASE theft because criminals will now steal backpacks looking for guns in them.

Worst. Excuse. Ever.
My calculations suggest that, at most, one out of every 540 UT students possess a concealed handgun license (the breakdown of the numbers is in the SCCC Handbook). Assuming that not all license holders carry on a regular basis and that very few CHL holders carry in backpacks (because it's not a terribly practical way to carry), you'd have to steal a lot of backpacks to find one with a gun in it.

KD5NRH

Post by KD5NRH »

Douva wrote:
Codename46 wrote:My calculations suggest that, at most, one out of every 540 UT students possess a concealed handgun license (the breakdown of the numbers is in the SCCC Handbook). Assuming that not all license holders carry on a regular basis and that very few CHL holders carry in backpacks (because it's not a terribly practical way to carry), you'd have to steal a lot of backpacks to find one with a gun in it.
Yep, they'd have better odds trying to mug somebody here, where by my last bit of estimating, we should have more than one in every 30 eligible people licensed.

Of course, they'd have much worse odds of surviving the robbery attempt.

hirundo82

Post by hirundo82 »

Douva wrote:
Codename46 wrote:The campus cops at UT think campus carry would INCREASE theft because criminals will now steal backpacks looking for guns in them.

Worst. Excuse. Ever.
My calculations suggest that, at most, one out of every 540 UT students possess a concealed handgun license (the breakdown of the numbers is in the SCCC Handbook). Assuming that not all license holders carry on a regular basis and that very few CHL holders carry in backpacks (because it's not a terribly practical way to carry), you'd have to steal a lot of backpacks to find one with a gun in it.
I'm following this bill with great interest as I'm a graduate student in Houston who is disarmed all day by the prohibition on college carry.

If this bill passes in a form that allows me to carry (I attend a private college that will definitely post a 30.06 sign if allowed) I plan on deep concealment, probably pocket carry of a J-frame. I doubt many CHL holders are irresponsible enough to carry in a way that allows their gun to be stolen--I can't recall ever hearing about something like that happening to a Texas CHL holder.

Return to “2009 Texas Legislative Session”