Relevant bills filed and their status

Moderator: Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 2

URGENT ACTION ITEM: STUN GUNS

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Members, HB1164 would put stun guns in the same "prohibited weapons" category as machine guns and it would require a person to take a course similar to a CHL course (designed by DPS) and obtain a license like a CHL to even possess a stun gun in your home. The license would also authorize you to carry a stun gun. The qualifications for a stun gun would be similar or identical for a CHL.

If this bill passes, the chronic delays in processing and issuing CHLs is going to increase dramatically! Please contact Representative Frost, Vice-Chairman of House Public Safety Committee, and Representative Vo, Member of Public Safety Committee, and politely ask them to oppose HB1164. Not only is there no need for this legislation, the DPS processing delays will be horrendous!

Thanks,
Chas.

Rep. Frost Contact Info.
Rep. Vo Contact Info.

flintknapper
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Re: URGENT ACTION ITEM: STUN GUNS

Post by flintknapper »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:Members, HB1164 would put stun guns in the same "prohibited weapons" category as machine guns and it would require a person to take a course similar to a CHL course (designed by DPS) and obtain a license like a CHL to even possess a stun gun in your home. The license would also authorize you to carry a stun gun. The qualifications for a stun gun would be similar or identical for a CHL.

If this bill passes, the chronic delays in processing and issuing CHLs is going to increase dramatically! Please contact Representative Frost, Vice-Chairman of House Public Safety Committee, and Representative Vo, Member of Public Safety Committee, and politely ask them to oppose HB1164. Not only is there no need for this legislation, the DPS processing delays will be horrendous!

Thanks,
Chas.

Rep. Frost Contact Info.
Rep. Vo Contact Info.
How would they deal with the umpteen thousands of stun-guns already in households of the citizenry?
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

Messages sent. :rules:
NRA Endowment Member

tfrazier

Post by tfrazier »

Unbelievable! I didn't know stun guns were such a problem. Can't remember the last time someone robbed a bank with one...I'm flabbergasted that someone wasted time to write the bill.

Off to make another round of phone calls and emails. :grumble

seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

Done.

This bill comes up every year.

The Honorable Hubert Vo
Phone: (512) 463-0568
Fax: (512) 463-0548

The Honorable Stephen Frost
Phone: (512) 463-0692
Fax: (512) 463-0902
Dear Mr. _____:

I urge you to oppose HB1164, which would regulate stun guns on a basis similar to handguns.

Criminal acts involving stun guns, Tasers, and similar devices are negligible. There is no need to create a new set of laws to regulate them. Creating a license to carry a concealed stun gun would place a new and costly burden on the Department of Public Safety for no worthwhile reason.
- Jim
Fear, anger, hatred, and greed. The devil's all-you-can-eat buffet.

ELB

Post by ELB »

Called Rep Frost's office -- gentleman answering the phone told me the Public Safety Committee hearing has already been held, and that Rep Frost basically opposes the bill for various reasons. The gentleman told me it is unknown if the committee chairman intends to get the bill voted out of committee.

elb
USAF 1982-2005

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

ELB wrote:Called Rep Frost's office -- gentleman answering the phone told me the Public Safety Committee hearing has already been held, and that Rep Frost basically opposes the bill for various reasons. The gentleman told me it is unknown if the committee chairman intends to get the bill voted out of committee.

elb
This is why we're asking people to call. If there are not enough votes to vote it out of committee ("favorably"), some Chairmen will just let it die, rather than spend the time on a vote.

Thanks for calling!

Chas.

Locksmith

Post by Locksmith »

No longer valid
Last edited by Locksmith on Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

Faxed both.
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Return to “2009 Texas Legislative Session”