Do you support only unlicensed open carry?

Relevant bills filed and their status

Moderator: Charles L. Cotton

Would you support only unlicensed open-carry?

Yes, I support open-carry only if it is unlicensed open-carry.
17%
No, I support open-carry whether is is unlicensed or licensed open-carry.
83%

Total votes: 88

austin-tatious
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Do you support only unlicensed open carry?

Post by austin-tatious »

Chas, did you really intend the first choice to be "only unlicensed open-carry"? Maybe I don't understand the issue, but I think there should be a vote for "only licensed open-carry".

Any way, I fully agree with OverEasy's point:
"Don't we already have unlicensed open carry for rifles and shotguns? Nobody is training these people or screening them.
I agree that certain people have no business carrying a loaded gun... or driving a car etc. But restricting everybody in order to prevent some possible future problem?
Let's just make everything out of nerf."

[bad attempt at a little levity]
That doesn't mean I would walk down Congress in Austin with my shotgun under my arm at lunchtime. :lol: No doubt Austin's Finest would descend on me in short order. :shock: I don't think they would take kindly to my explanation that I was there to help thin out the grackle population. But at least I would get my own padded room if I told them that. :smilelol5:
[/bad attempt at a little levity]

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

austin-tatious wrote:Chas, did you really intend the first choice to be "only unlicensed open-carry"? Maybe I don't understand the issue, but I think there should be a vote for "only licensed open-carry".
Yes, I am trying to see if open-carry supporters want only unlicensed open-carry, or if they still support it if it requires a CHL. I'm interested because I've talked to a number of people now (not here on the forum) and I get the feeling that the general public and legislators believe the push is simply to remove the concealment requirement for CHLs. In other words, many seem to believe the push is for licensed open-carry.

Chas.

subsonic

Post by subsonic »

I want Texas to decriminalize intentional failure to conceal. I would prefer no distinction between open and concealed carry but I would be willing to compromise on reducing the penalty to a $100 fine, provided police are held to the same standard when not in uniform.
The woods are lovely, dark and deep.

anygunanywhere
Posts in topic: 6

Post by anygunanywhere »

subsonic wrote:I want Texas to decriminalize intentional failure to conceal. I would prefer no distinction between open and concealed carry but I would be willing to compromise on reducing the penalty to a $100 fine, provided police are held to the same standard when not in uniform.
From what I understand about the times the individuals intentionally failed to conceal one of them pulled the weapon and put it on the dash. The other one was accused of pullling it out of his pocket.

If you draw your weapon without proper provocation it is a threat and you deserve to suffer the consequences.

Seems to me that even if you are OC and you draw you better have a really good reason.

There is no criminal penalty for UNintentional failure to conceal.

Anygunanywhere
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

NcongruNt
Posts in topic: 2

Post by NcongruNt »

nitrogen wrote:I'd support licensed open carry.

My dream law would be open carry, unlicensed with similar restrictions as in force for CHL's now, then licensed open or concealed carry for CHL'ers with many fewer restrictions, keeping perhaps bars and courthouses.
Why? Is there some magical property about a place that serves alcohol that would suddenly render us too stupid to carry? We as CHLs are required to obey every other aspect of the law regarding our guns and behavior. I see not one reason why carry should be restricted in bars, especially considering that going to and from such a place places us at more risk to attack than most other places. Cars are frequently broken into near such locations, and barring carry from such a place increases the incidence of guns stolen from vehicles, enabling criminals to commit serious crimes and putting gun owners at risk to loss of property. We are expected to stay within the law regardless of location, and intoxicated is the same whether it is in a bar, a restaurant, or at a movie theater (such as Alamo Drafthouse).

Before anyone says "you shouldn't go to a location like that", I would say:

Not every 51% location is a "bar". For example, Stubb's in Austin is mainly a music venue, but posted 51%. Whether it actually is or not is inascertainable, because TABC provides no mechanism to concretely find out, short of specifically asking to see the liquor license - an action that would put the requester under considerable suspicion in many establishments, as well as being a significantly difficult task given the immense size of venues such as Stubb's. Even then, a location considered by TABC to be 51% could actually not be, (such as all-ages venues with high ticket prices such as Stubb's or Zona Rosa), but there is no concrete way to verify the esitmation short of an investigation of revenues, and that's simply not going to happen short of some sort of charge against the licensed property. Regardless, the venue a person patronizes is irrelevant, as long as is within the law for a person to be there in the first place. I shouldn't have to surrender my most effective means of defense because I decide to join friends or coworkers or family in a social gathering in a public place. I do not get intoxicated, regardless of whether I am carrying. It is an insult to imply in the law that I am somehow unable to control myself because I cross the property lines of a bar or pub or music venue.

Back to the topic at hand, I can't really participate in the poll, because I think the timing is poor to try and push open carry. Were it to even get introduced, licensed open carry would be preferable because it is a more defensible position to push, due to the incredible scrutiny and attack such proposed legislation would certainly come under. I'd much sooner see 51% locations, sporting events, political meetings, and universities be removed from the list of prohibited places first. Once the official implication in the law that we as people who carry for self-defense are somehow untrustworthy in these locations is eliminated, open carry would be an easier proposal to push. With the law implying that we are somehow dangerous in certain situations, it colors public perception about folks who carry for self defense in general. I'd like to see that cleared up and proven out first before jumping headlong into open carry.
NRA Member
TSRA Member
My Blog: All You Really Need

Liko81

Post by Liko81 »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:For those of you who support open-carry in Texas, would you support only unlicensed open-carry, or would you support licensed open-carry. I asking because it seems a very large percentage of people supporting open-carry are doing so, at least in part, because it avoids the licensing process.

Chas.
That is a major focus, and though OC in any form would be an improvement, my main push is for unlicensed OC.

It's not that I wouldn't become licensed; the question is why I should have to? If the Second Amendment guarantees me, and any other American citizen, the right to keep and *bear* arms in general without government interference, then Texas' laws, which state that the only way I can do so is either on or in my own property, or after having paid $250, sat through 10 hours of classes, and waited months for government permission, are unconstitutional. 90% of states in the Union, comprising three-quarters of its people, agree with me at least to some degree. A "right" is something that you have the inherent ability to do without asking anyone's permission. I am guaranteed the right to keep and bear arms; yet in Texas I must ask for government approval to do so in the general case. Unconstitutional.

Most other reasons I have to support open carry would be satisfied whether licensed or unlicensed, and are mainly practical. The deterrent effect, the added comfort and flexibility of not having to hide the gun (and thus not having choose a gun that can be hidden), and the undeniable fact that an openly-carried weapon will always, always, be faster to draw than a concealed weapon; all of these are major reasons to be in favor of open carry. It benefits CHL holders too; currently, if you conceal, that gun must remain concealed, no matter how hot it gets outside. If you're wearing a suit with shoulder holster or even an OWB waist holster, you cannot take that jacket off if someone else could see the gun when you do so. Same thing for IWB with an overshirt; you generally need an undershirt to avoid chafing, and so it could be 110 degrees out, you're stuck with two layers. Not so if OC were legal; take off the shirt, the suit jacket, etc; you are not breaking any laws no matter how plain your gun then becomes.

Although "printing" and "failure to conceal" require intent according to the letter of the law, CHL holders can and do find themselves defending against charges that they intentionally failed to conceal. Sure, the government must prove intent beyond a reasonable doubt, but you're still sitting there in the courtroom. If OC passed, a failure to conceal, from identifiable printing to plain sight, simply is no longer a crime. If you wanted to conceal, you would still take the same steps to not out yourself, but there is no longer any possible legal consequence for failure to do so unless your failure to conceal is designed to cause alarm.

Lastly, what purpose other than encouraging education (keep in mind no law ever "forced" anyone to do anything) would licensed OC achieve? I'm walking down the street with a gun on my hip. A policeman sees me. He wonders whether I have a valid CHL or not. However, that's all he can do unless I'm doing something else obviously illegal; numerous courts in OC states have said that OC is not, in and of itself, reasonable articulable suspicion that a person has committed, is committing, or will commit any crime. Stopping a person who is OCing and asking them to show their CHL is like stopping a person driving down the road and asking for their driver's license just to make them prove they have it.

Although I'm not proud to admit it, there would be some circumstances that, if offered in the right combination, would be attractive enough that I'd consider licensed OC. However, most are unlikely to come about. All of these assume that a CHL would allow you to carry openly or concealed:

* Substantially reduce the fees required for a new CHL. $140 is totally onerous; most other states charge $100 or less, and many charge $50 or less. Only Colorado's and Arkansas' license fees and other costs are comparable (and Colorado's is a five-year license), and only California's app fee is more expensive (mainly as a deterrent). Indiana charges less than that ($125) for a LIFETIME carry permit.
* Guarantee that, if not disqualified after 60 days, a CHL applicant will be able to carry until a final decision is made. Many states use some part of the application as a temporary permit or direct the issuing body to mail a temporary permit after the deadline. As some Texas applications are not even being OPENED 60 days after arriving at the DPS, the former would probably be the only way.
* Allow CHL applications to be processed at any DPS driver license office. Any and all delays involving fingerprints, photos, application information, etc will be drastically reduced if not eliminated when the DPS clerk can immediately recognize and correct a problem. Issuance of a temporary license after a NICS check would be similar to a driver license; the plastic would then show up pending the FBI check.
* Substantially increase the number of places a CHL can take their weapon. Statutorily protect CHL carry into non-secure areas of airports, and repeal bans on concealed carry at professional sporting events and all publicly-funded places of education, from K-12 schools to colleges.
* Remove signage as effective notice of 30.06 trespassing. Only failure to heed a direct verbal request to leave by a person with lawful control of the property would constitute criminal trespass in a place not statutorily barred.
* Protect carry on the job by making it wrongful termination to fire a person for legally carrying a concealed handgun. As Texas is one of the most "at-will employment" states in the Union (only civil rights violations, failure to perform an illegal act, and failure of a TABC-certified server to serve alcohol to a customer are specifically grounds for civil suit), this one is EXTREMELY unlikely.

nitrogen

Post by nitrogen »

NcongruNt wrote:
nitrogen wrote:I'd support licensed open carry.

My dream law would be open carry, unlicensed with similar restrictions as in force for CHL's now, then licensed open or concealed carry for CHL'ers with many fewer restrictions, keeping perhaps bars and courthouses.
Why? Is there some magical property about a place that serves alcohol that would suddenly render us too stupid to carry?

Yes. It's called "Alcohol." A place whose primary business is serving it, in any rate.
Don't get me wrong, I'm as much of an RKBA activist as you are, but I have to admit, letting people legally carry in a place where their primary business there is to drink scares the pants off of me.

Also, It's not so much about my worries, but about what I feel could get passed in the legislature. Another user here, I think it's srothstein, made very good arguments in the past about banning carry in courthouses, and I'd go along wit that, too.

EDIT:

Someone made a very good point to me in a PM. Admitedly, I am someone that avoids bars for my own reasons. I think a great concession would be to change the law so much that carry in a bar is either a misdemeanor or nothing at all, unless you are drinking.

The thought still scares me, though.
.השואה... לעולם לא עוד
Holocaust... Never Again.
Some people create their own storms and get upset when it rains.
--anonymous

Liko81

Post by Liko81 »

NcongruNt wrote:Why? Is there some magical property about a place that serves alcohol that would suddenly render us too stupid to carry?
Well, given that the number one crime for which CHL holders were arrested over the 10-year DPS study was DUI, I would say the Legislature has a pretty good reason to not tempt fate. We Texans like our guns, and we like our beer. Nothing wrong with either, but the combination usually makes the front page news, from a drunken domestic dispute turned deadly to Plaxico Burress' idiocy.

If there's one thing I know about politics and laws, it's that you can find quite a few reasons to be insulted as to your abilities no matter whose state statutes you read. You're insulted that Texas does not believe you capable of maintaining self-restraint in a 51% establishment while carrying. I'm insulted that Texas seems to think that I am so incompetent with a handgun that I should not be allowed to carry one publicly until I have sat through 10 hours of class time and proven my marksmanship, not to mention proving I'm fiscally solvent enough to spare $250 along the way. Given that a bar would be lucky to have one in ten patrons as designated drivers, and only one in 100 of them statistically speaking would have a CHL and therefore still be legal if bar carry were allowed, you're irritating .1% of the population at most. Contrast that with the millions of Texas handgun owners who do not have a CHL, and which law's logic do you think insults more people when you really get down to it?

I reiterate; what practical advantage do you see in licensing open carry? The fact that every OCer will have had training? I'll tell you that no absolute is true, and what's more, you'll never be able to prove or disprove it without blatant Fourth Amendment violations. The only way you could know for sure if an OCer was legal is a Terry stop for ID, just like the only way you'd know a particular driver had insurance and a valid license would be to pull them over. Here's the rub; a police officer CAN'T do either of those, unless he/she has caught them breaking some other law or has reasonable suspicion that they have or are about to. Open carry, where legal, is not reasonable articulable suspicion of a crime. Or so say court opinions in open-carry states where that question has come up.

NcongruNt

Post by NcongruNt »

Liko81 wrote:
NcongruNt wrote:Why? Is there some magical property about a place that serves alcohol that would suddenly render us too stupid to carry?
Well, given that the number one crime for which CHL holders were arrested over the 10-year DPS study was DUI, I would say the Legislature has a pretty good reason to not tempt fate. We Texans like our guns, and we like our beer. Nothing wrong with either, but the combination usually makes the front page news, from a drunken domestic dispute turned deadly to Plaxico Burress' idiocy.
Personal responsibility is why I disagree. Because some yahoo can get drunk at a bar doesn't mean that I will. And rest assured, I won't. If I were to ever do so, I would fully expect to be prosecuted and punished for my wrongdoing, because it is my personal responsibility to follow the law. Restricting the rights and liberties of the masses because of the potential wrongdoings of the few is just wrong. Should we outlaw driving for anyone traveling to and from a place that serves alcohol as its main commodity? From your reasoning, we should. Driving while intoxicated is a far more common occurance than a CHLer carrying while intoxicated, but I don't see law restricting freedom of travel in a blanket fashion just because someone might get drunk and drive. Punishing people who break the law by driving while intoxicated holds people accountable for their actions, as it should be. The same holds true for carrying while intoxicated, and anyone who does so should be thrown in jail.

Liko81 wrote:If there's one thing I know about politics and laws, it's that you can find quite a few reasons to be insulted as to your abilities no matter whose state statutes you read. You're insulted that Texas does not believe you capable of maintaining self-restraint in a 51% establishment while carrying. I'm insulted that Texas seems to think that I am so incompetent with a handgun that I should not be allowed to carry one publicly until I have sat through 10 hours of class time and proven my marksmanship, not to mention proving I'm fiscally solvent enough to spare $250 along the way. Given that a bar would be lucky to have one in ten patrons as designated drivers, and only one in 100 of them statistically speaking would have a CHL and therefore still be legal if bar carry were allowed, you're irritating .1% of the population at most. Contrast that with the millions of Texas handgun owners who do not have a CHL, and which law's logic do you think insults more people when you really get down to it?

I reiterate; what practical advantage do you see in licensing open carry? The fact that every OCer will have had training? I'll tell you that no absolute is true, and what's more, you'll never be able to prove or disprove it without blatant Fourth Amendment violations. The only way you could know for sure if an OCer was legal is a Terry stop for ID, just like the only way you'd know a particular driver had insurance and a valid license would be to pull them over. Here's the rub; a police officer CAN'T do either of those, unless he/she has caught them breaking some other law or has reasonable suspicion that they have or are about to. Open carry, where legal, is not reasonable articulable suspicion of a crime. Or so say court opinions in open-carry states where that question has come up.
The advantage is political. In order to make a progression towards unlicensed open carry, we need to make inroads. We have concealed carry because of the concessions for training requirements and background checks pursuant to the issue of a license. If unlicensed concealed carry had been pushed without these requirements, I'm quite certain the law would never have passed 13 years ago. Furthermore, had unlicensed concealed carry passed we'd have no reciprocity agreements with other states, rather than folks being able to carry in their travels as they do now. Licensed open carry is a more reasonable proposition because it provides some sort of assurance to the opposition and (more importantly) fence-sitters that people will be trained in the use of their firearms and applicable law. That reason alone could make the difference between a bill passing and failing. I'm sure you're quite proficient with the use of your firearms and familiar with Texas law concerning the regulation of carrying arms, but most people in Texas are not.

You find a regulation concerning the carrying of arms in a place that serves alcohol reasonable - even with the knowledge that everyone who has a CHL is required to be familiar with and prove that they are knowledgeable about where and when they can and cannot carry. Then you are opposed to a training requirement for folks carrying firearms who have no demonstrated knowledge in firearms safety or firearms law? Your logic fails me.

I am for all for freedom of travel, but I find it quite reasonable to require training, demonstrated knowledge of traffic law, and demonstrated driving skill to operate a motor vehicle on public roadways. I find it quite reasonable to ask that if someone were to carry a handgun in public, that person should be able to demonstrate a basic knowledge of firearms safety and firearms law - especially given the political climate and opposition to open carry. A vehicle in the hands of someone without even basic driving skills and traffic law is a potentially very dangerous situation. The same can be said of firearms. If we can assure our political opponents that folks who open carry understand the law and how to safely carry and handle a firearm, it could make things considerably easier to pass OC legislation.
NRA Member
TSRA Member
My Blog: All You Really Need

Bart

Post by Bart »

Liko81 wrote:
Well, given that the number one crime for which CHL holders were arrested over the 10-year DPS study was DUI, I would say the Legislature has a pretty good reason to not tempt fate.
DUI involves cars, not guns. Maybe we need a law prohibiting cars near a 51% establishment. Except for cops.
Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.

scootergeek

Post by scootergeek »

I'm all for licensed open carry.

State still makes money and bad guys still get extra punishment if found carrying.

Win Win for me.

Shorts

Post by Shorts »

Are the choices assuming voters already have a TX CHL or not?
Don't Mess with Texas Women

2/15/09 - Class Date
3/18/09 - PIN Assigned, Processing App
8/07/09 - Plastic in hand

Morgan

Post by Morgan »

I have SUCH a problem disallowing a law abiding citizen the ability to do something because someone ELSE breaks a law.....

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Shorts wrote:Are the choices assuming voters already have a TX CHL or not?
I'm not making either assumption. The poll is intended to get an idea if people are committed only to unlicensed open-carry as is the sole goal of OpenCarry.org, or if they would be satisfied with simply removing the concealment requirement for CHLs. (I am not suggesting that either NRA or TSRA will get involved, if it is licensed open-carry. We have more than we can handle on our legislative plate right now.)

I asked this question because the vast majority of people I've talked to, and almost all news reports I've seen, heard and read, give me the impression that people think a license (CHL) will still be required. I've looked at a lot of videos of interviews and news reports in Texas and this seems to be a common misunderstanding. If a bill does get filed and the media start their typical scare tactics and report "anyone can simply strap on a hog-leg without a background check or training if this bill passes," I think the public response will be a groundswell against the proposition.

As I understand OpenCarry.org's motivation, they believe open-carry is a constitutional right and they do not agree with licensing. I don't think that message is getting through here in Texas. (They also cite Heller for this premise and this is absolutely incorrect. Heller is a "keeping" case, not a "bearing" case.) Ironically, OpenCarry.org takes the position that concealed carry is not constitutionally protected, again incorrectly citing Heller. I do wish they would not take that position, as I believe it is wrong and harmful to further expansion of the holding in Heller.

Chas.

DONT TREAD ON ME

Post by DONT TREAD ON ME »

I am all for unlicensed open carry (right now we have a license, even tho I am against it I am not complaining as it could be worse...I would even be ok with...if you have a CHL you have the right to choose your carry method...open or concealed). Texas is one of only 6 states right now that bans open carry all together. We are organizing an event to attend the opening house session in the next week or so in support of open carry. If there are any of you interested in attending please PM me and I can point you in the right direction!
Last edited by DONT TREAD ON ME on Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “2009 Texas Legislative Session”