Kyle Rittenhouse to Sue LeBron James for Defamation

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Paladin
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Paladin »

It would be hilarious to see LeBron pay out for his nasty comments
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

carlson1

Re: Kyle Rittenhouse to Sue LeBron James for Defamation

Post by carlson1 »

I couldn’t agree more. The problem I see and I am sure not an attorney is that this just appears to be James’ opinion and I don’t know how Rittenhouse can show “damages” or if he even has to show damages. However it would be nice to see James to finally pay out of his pocket for all of his unnecessary editorials in everyone’s life.

Flightmare

Post by Flightmare »

For defamation, a 3 prong test should be applied;

1) The information printed/said must be false
2) The person/organization printing/saying the information must be aware that the information is false and print/said it anyways.
3) There must be actual harm done to the person whom is being defamed.

Item 1 is often simple enough to prove. Items 2 and 3 are the challenge.

I am unsure how much actual harm was caused to Kyle by words given by LeBron James. Additionally, I am unsure that it can be proven that he knew what he said was false, and said it anyways.

IANAL
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

I'm not sure Rittenhouse is getting sound advice by declaring who all he will be suing. Never show your cards before the last player lays his down.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

philip964
Posts in topic: 3

Post by philip964 »

puma guy wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 12:20 pm I'm not sure Rittenhouse is getting sound advice by declaring who all he will be suing. Never show your cards before the last player lays his down.

I agree, my previous comments on this:

Teddy Roosevelt always said "Walk softly and carry a big stick"

So I have always been told by youngsters, you never expose your true power level.

I have been told by older folks, you never say your going to sue so and so.

I have been told by those same older folks that it is ok to say " I will pursue my full legal rights against those who have damaged me " or some thing like that.

Kyle is saying he is suing Woopie Goldberg and La Bron James among others.

I think he is ill advised to be saying this in advance of the lawsuits. Plus it lessons the real impact when he does sue them.

He has added since then, Xiden. Not sure if it wise to sue a wartime President.

seph

Post by seph »

Flightmare wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 10:58 am For defamation, a 3 prong test should be applied;

1) The information printed/said must be false
2) The person/organization printing/saying the information must be aware that the information is false and print/said it anyways.
3) There must be actual harm done to the person whom is being defamed.

Item 1 is often simple enough to prove. Items 2 and 3 are the challenge.

I am unsure how much actual harm was caused to Kyle by words given by LeBron James. Additionally, I am unsure that it can be proven that he knew what he said was false, and said it anyways.

IANAL
I think all of the idiots being sued said their comments after Kyle was found not guilty. So #2 is proven. The problem is always #3.
Let's go Brandon! "rlol"

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

carlson1 wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 10:34 am I couldn’t agree more. The problem I see and I am sure not an attorney is that this just appears to be James’ opinion and I don’t know how Rittenhouse can show “damages” or if he even has to show damages. However it would be nice to see James to finally pay out of his pocket for all of his unnecessary editorials in everyone’s life.
IANAL, but the state of the average American's intellect is such that if a celebrity says it, it must be the gospel truth. It carries a lot more weight than if little 'ol’ you or I said it. Celebrities have a giant podium. They have a responsibility to use it wisely when dragging someone else through the mud…….meaning that, if they want to slam someone with wild accusations, they’d better do it private. When they do it public, particularly when it’s just some kid who went through headers just trying to stay alive, they’d better be VERY circumspect about what they say. I don’t know if what he said rises to the legal definition of slander or defamation, but morally, it certainly seems like it did.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

mayor

Post by mayor »

philip964 wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 1:16 pm He has added since then, Xiden. Not sure if it wise to sue a wartime President.
apoligies for the derail. Brandon may happen to be President and there may be a war beginning, but Brandon is no "wartime President".

philip964

Post by philip964 »

mayor wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 9:55 am
philip964 wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 1:16 pm He has added since then, Xiden. Not sure if it wise to sue a wartime President.
apoligies for the derail. Brandon may happen to be President and there may be a war beginning, but Brandon is no "wartime President".
I’m hoping I’m wrong.

philip964

Post by philip964 »

https://www.cleveland19.com/2022/06/11/ ... shals-say/

Stupid White teen was firing a water pellet gun at passerbys and hanging out at the LeBron James Promise School.

Some of the people didn’t appreciate the thought and so they beat him to death.

So if your Martin Luther King they name a street after you. Then it becomes the street in the news every night.

Now LeBron James gets the same honor.

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”