Ask Senator Cornyn What the Heck He Was Thinking!

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 2

Ask Senator Cornyn What the Heck He Was Thinking!

Post by The Annoyed Man »

https://redstate.com/jeffc/2022/03/14/h ... ck-n535942
For starters, it includes the NICS Denial Notification Act. This would require federal authorities to refer those whose background checks are denied to state and local law enforcement when they attempt to purchase a firearm or obtain a license to carry. This would likely result in these agencies investigating the person who was denied regardless of evidence of wrongdoing. Given that most NICS denials are false, it is not difficult to see how this could be a problem.

SNIP

Another part of the bill would allow the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF) to deputize members of local law enforcement to do its dirty work. …… With this provision, the ATF can essentially make local police officers into federal authorities, meaning they can get around SAPA laws.
They also voted to continue funding for more "gun violence" research, which historically instead of examining the facts and drawing conclusions, draws conclusions first and then works backwards to make the "facts" fit the conclusion. As the article says:
The fact that Republican senators would vote for such a proposal demonstrates one of two things: They don’t care what you think, or they didn’t think you would find out. This is a prime example showing how many so-called conservatives in Congress are willing to abandon their supposed principles for the sake of political expediency.
So start phoning Cornyn's office, and asking if he thought we wouldn’t find out about this.

18 GOP senators voted for this crap! Don’t think for a minute that the GOP has our backs. The GOP is little by little abandoning gun owners.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

chasfm11
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Ask Senator Cornyn What the Heck He Was Thinking!

Post by chasfm11 »

I have called Cornyn's office at least a hundred times over the past several years. I have yet to get a live person on the phone. I've sent written letters and never gotten a response. I'm not surprised by his votes. In fact, since he voted for cloture on Obamacare, i've not been surprised at anything that he has done. He is in Washington for his own interests and doesn't give a rip about those who elected him and he is supposed to represent.

Trying to deal with him is futile.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

gamboolman

Post by gamboolman »

I too have written Senator Cornyn many times and all I have ever receive was the canned "Spam" responses.

He is a absolute failure and embarrassing for Texas.

RINO's are disgusting people for sure.

gamboolman.... :patriot: :txflag:
gamboolman
TSRA , GOA & NRA Life Member

philip964

Post by philip964 »

Ok the anti gun folks were cheering the 39 Republicans that passed the 1.5 trillion budget that included aid to Ukraine and anti gun measures.

I couldn’t find what the anti gun measures were.

Is this it?

How am I not surprised.

Is this the same bill?

http://www.texaschlforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=101358

A defeat or a victory?

We just need to win in November.

LDB415

Post by LDB415 »

I've supported him on the lesser of two evils theory but no more. I'll support whoever opposes him and if (when) he wins another primary I will not vote for him in the general election.
It's fine if you disagree. I can't force you to be correct.
NRA Life Member, TSRA Life Member, GSSF Member
A pistol without a round chambered is an expensive paper weight.

eyedoc

Post by eyedoc »

According to Charles Cotton, the bill was not bad for gun owners. They stripped the bad riders out.

powerboatr

Post by powerboatr »

yes old cornyn is far from a great senator
he hardly ever responds to written or phone conversations.
he is to protected by the big dollars.

he is almost as bad as Bryan Hughes our texas senate senator
Proud to have served for over 22 Years in the U.S. Navy Certificated FAA A&P technician since 1996

Topic author
The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

eyedoc wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:00 pm According to Charles Cotton, the bill was not bad for gun owners. They stripped the bad riders out.
Several commenters on YouTube are saying they were put back in, I guess at the last minute, and that’s the version of the bill that passed. It would be handy if Charles could clear this up for us.

Never mind… Charles answers the questions here: https://www.texaschlforum.com/viewtopic ... 3&t=101358
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

One absolute truth is that it is not just Democrats who desire the disarming of the people. One. ALL politicians are liars. EVERY DARNED ONE OF THEM. Two. ALL politicians are part of the elitist ruling class in America. They all want to keep that power and wealth and are afraid of losing it . Three. All politicians know what issues will gain them which groups of voters. Four. Republican politicians know what percentage of voters vote based on The Right To Keep and Bare Arms. They also know that the majority of voters, even in this category do not follow the specifics of bills they pass. Republicans will vote for any legislation that will help reduce the possibility of We The People standing up and throwing them out. They just do it through "behind the scenes" legislation that they figure won't be noticed.

K.Mooneyham

Post by K.Mooneyham »

Yes, this part of that omnibus spending bill, along with the "enhanced" VAWA act, was exactly what I was talking about as referenced in the replies on this post by phillip964 and TAM. I was happy to see the information that Mr. Cotton relayed on the subject, and THANK YOU very much to Mr. Cotton for that. I think there are a lot of misconceptions about these things going on right now, IMHO for several possible reasons. One, some folks want attention (and clicks on their videos). Two, some folks mean well, but have bad info passed to them which they then pass to others. Three, maybe some on the "anti" side want to make it appear like they got more out of the bill than they really did, so they purposely pass bad info.

Grayling813

Post by Grayling813 »

Nothing Cornyn, nor any other Republican, does to restrict the rights of Americans surprises me anymore.

There's a UniParty - with D and R factions. Slightly different platforms, one agenda...total control of your lives.

As far as this bill's requirement for investigations into failed NICS checks...this is why dropping your LTC is a bad idea.

Grayling813

Post by Grayling813 »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 4:55 pm 18 GOP senators voted for this crap! Don’t think for a minute that the GOP has our backs. The GOP is little by little abandoning gun owners.
The GOP is little by little abandoning Americans who love freedom and just want the government to leave them alone to live their lives in peace.

dlh

Post by dlh »

I wrote Senator Cornyn a few days ago asking him to vote NO on the nomination of Ketanji Brown Jackson---Biden's scotus nominee.
You think Biden is going to nominate a PRO-second amendment justice? Think again. She is supported by various left-wing groups--does not own a firearm---and has never fired a firearm. I see Ruther Bader Ginsburg---resurrected.
In my opinion she will do what the 9'th circuit does--just rubber-stamp any firearms regulation as valid and move on.
I received a letter back from Senator Cornyn. It was the usual non-comittal response that he will carefully review the nominee and her background and on and on with no indication how he will vote.
If he votes YES on her nominaton then I am done with him and he certainly won't receive my vote next election.
Please know and follow the rules of firearms safety.

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”