Anti gun crowd afraid of own shadow

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 2

Anti gun crowd afraid of own shadow

Post by philip964 »

Note to self: don’t go to liberal rallies.

Jose_in_Dallas

Re: Anti gun crowd afraid of own shadow

Post by Jose_in_Dallas »

What just happened there? Why did they all turn and run?

Rafe
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Rafe »

Injuries from falls or trampling while attending leftist rallies or protests occur at a rate 582,462 times higher than do injuries from people being shot by law abiding gun owners. And I may be a little low on the number.
:tiphat:
“Be ready; now is the beginning of happenings.”
― Robert E. Howard, Swords of Shahrazar

TxRVer
Posts in topic: 1

Post by TxRVer »

Jose_in_Dallas wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 3:26 pm What just happened there? Why did they all turn and run?
According to reports, someone yelled "I am the gun".
Charlie

Rafe

Post by Rafe »

TxRVer wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 5:01 pm
Jose_in_Dallas wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 3:26 pm What just happened there? Why did they all turn and run?
Makes me want to try to get a gig speaking at a big anti-gun rally like that just to see what would happen when they introduced me under a pseudonym: Iman Haas Gunn.
:biggrinjester:

mayor

Post by mayor »

:lol: I have a friend that has a chihuahua like that. Wakes up in a new world every morning and jumps at every new thing. He put her out to do her business, he took his shoes off and put them by the door. The dog almost broke in half coming in the door by the "new" shoes. :lol:

cirus

Post by cirus »

That was a beautiful sight. It brought a tear to my eye.

Jose_in_Dallas

Post by Jose_in_Dallas »

TxRVer wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 5:01 pm
LOL!

crazy2medic

Post by crazy2medic »

Makes me wonder what would happen if somebody played the sound of Machinegun fire over the speakers! I'd do it just for entertainment value!
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

That herd is easily stampeded and never learns.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

Rafe

Post by Rafe »

Excaliber wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 8:00 am That herd is easily stampeded and never learns.
Yep. Allelomimesis, or specifically allelomimetic behavior: "in which performance of a behavior increases the probability of that behavior also being performed by other nearby animals." I wrote a paper about it many years ago, back when it was considered only relevant to ethology, the study of animal behavior. Konrad Lorenz is the first I remember writing about it, particularly in his book On Aggression (1966).

But we're animals, too. And the applicability to humans is clearly demonstrated in that video clip. A more innocuous example: Have a large movie theater with four sets of doors. Prop open the central set of doors and leave the two at the sides closed...but unlocked. The vast majority of people exiting the theater will queue up and wait to file through those two sets of open doors.

I think it should be brought up as part of situational awareness courses, too. We don't necessarily realize our natural tendency to do it until it's pointed out and reinforced. If someone had fired shots at that rally, perhaps the worst direction to run would be the one in which the crowd chose to go. You might get jostled, tripped, or at the very least clogged-up in the congestion with no place to go: makes for a target-rich environment.

Part of situational awareness is knowing what points of ingress and egress are available to you, but also knowing which of those are most likely to become clogged in an emergency. When possible, take the road less traveled. ;-)

K.Mooneyham

Post by K.Mooneyham »

Rafe wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 10:36 am
Excaliber wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 8:00 am That herd is easily stampeded and never learns.
Yep. Allelomimesis, or specifically allelomimetic behavior: "in which performance of a behavior increases the probability of that behavior also being performed by other nearby animals." I wrote a paper about it many years ago, back when it was considered only relevant to ethology, the study of animal behavior. Konrad Lorenz is the first I remember writing about it, particularly in his book On Aggression (1966).

But we're animals, too. And the applicability to humans is clearly demonstrated in that video clip. A more innocuous example: Have a large movie theater with four sets of doors. Prop open the central set of doors and leave the two at the sides closed...but unlocked. The vast majority of people exiting the theater will queue up and wait to file through those two sets of open doors.

I think it should be brought up as part of situational awareness courses, too. We don't necessarily realize our natural tendency to do it until it's pointed out and reinforced. If someone had fired shots at that rally, perhaps the worst direction to run would be the one in which the crowd chose to go. You might get jostled, tripped, or at the very least clogged-up in the congestion with no place to go: makes for a target-rich environment.

Part of situational awareness is knowing what points of ingress and egress are available to you, but also knowing which of those are most likely to become clogged in an emergency. When possible, take the road less traveled. ;-)
I appreciate the reminder, dovetails with Anti-Terrorism Level I training I've received in the past.

Topic author
philip964

Post by philip964 »

Someone in there midst with a gun and evil intentions, their only helpless defense is to run away. Thus the reaction you saw.

Now imagine the same crowd at a pro gun NRA rally.

Everyone would have looked for a threat and acted accordingly.

There would have been no running, unless towards the threat.

mayor

Post by mayor »

philip964 wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 2:58 pm Someone in there midst with a gun and evil intentions, their only helpless defense is to run away. Thus the reaction you saw.

Now imagine the same crowd at a pro gun NRA rally.

Everyone would have looked for a threat and acted accordingly.

There would have been no running, unless towards the threat.
:iagree:

howdy

Post by howdy »

I had a layover in downtown NYC on Dec 31st. The First Officer and I went down to Times Square to see the ball drop at midnight. We did not know that after the ball drops, EVERYBODY goes to Central Park to see the fireworks. That is a mass of humanity and once that mass starts moving, there is no going against it or through it....you go with the flow (and you better not fall down) Now I try to avoid situations like that and if I do go I will stay next to the exit point or next to something solid to get behind.
Texas LTC Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Life Patron Member TSRA Member
USMC 1972-1979

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”