Yet another sign that it's getting interesting...

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
stevie_d_64
Posts in topic: 2

Yet another sign that it's getting interesting...

Post by stevie_d_64 »

Picking up where Anygun left off...

You know if it makes Yahoo, it has penetrated several layers of journalistic editorial liberties that seriously lack common sense...But then again, you can count on one hand in the last few years if there have been any serious and credible pro-gun stories floated out there in the mainstream media...

This has actually already been discussed with the information we've seen on Obama's transition website, but the information here is a bit more juicy and filled with interesting twists that rival some plots on reality TV these days...

So without further drivle from me:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/politico/200811 ... tico/15835" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Would-be appointees quizzed on guns

--begin snip--

President-elect Barack Obama’s transition team is asking potential appointees detailed questions about gun ownership, and firearms advocates aren’t happy about it.

The National Rifle Association has denounced the move, which has already led one Republican senator to consider legislation aimed at ensuring a president can’t use an applicant’s gun ownership status to deny employment.

It’s just one question on a lengthy personnel form — No. 59 on a 63-question list — but the furor over the query is a vivid reminder of the intensity of support for Second Amendment rights and signals the scrutiny Obama is likely to receive from the ever-vigilant gun lobby.

Obama’s transition team declined to go into detail on why they included the question, suggesting only that it was done to ensure potential appointees were in line with gun laws.

“The intent of the gun question is to determine legal permitting,” said one transition aide.

But even some Democrats and transition experts are baffled by the inclusion of the question.

Tucked in at the end of the questionnaire and listed under “Miscellaneous,” it reads: “Do you or any members of your immediate family own a gun? If so, provide complete ownership and registration information. Has the registration ever lapsed? Please also describe how and by whom it is used and whether it has been the cause of any personal injuries or property damage.”

--end snip--
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

Kalrog
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Yet another sign that it's getting interesting...

Post by Kalrog »

What about - it is appropriately UNregisterd?

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

What I am about to say here might very well shock some people but my purpose is to educate.

Most antis actually think that firearms bought through a dealer are "registered".

Now before alll those of you extremely literate, rational, educated, responsible supporters of the RKBA and the 2A jump up in your chair, raise your hand and go "Ooh! Mr. Anygun! Mr. Anygun!" like a bunch of hormonal 8th graders, I know we, the "fringe" as Mr. 72 refers to us in another thread, think that filling out a 4473 and doing the background check (non-CHLers) that it is indeed a form of registration.

Once all of the new administration's obamaniacs fully understand that there really is no formal registration, the solid waste is fixin' to hit the fan.

Anygunanywhere
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

linman

Post by linman »

A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have." Gerald Ford in a Presidential address to a joint session of Congress (12 August 1974)

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. Ronald Reagan - address to the annual meeting of the Phoenix Chamber of Commerce, 1961.

Of the four wars in my lifetime, none came about because the U.S. was too strong. Ronald Reagan - acceptance speech at 1984 Republican National Convention.

"We the people" tell the government what to do, it doesn't tell us. "We the people" are the driver, the government is the car. And we decide where it should go, and by what route, and how fast. Almost all the world's constitutions are documents in which governments tell the people what their privileges are. Our Constitution is a document in which "We the people" tell the government what it is allowed to do. "We the people" are free. Ronald Reagan's farewell address, 1989.

nitrogen

Post by nitrogen »

I'm all for legislation to keep gun ownership to not be able to be used against people for employment purposes, as long as it applies to everyone.
.השואה... לעולם לא עוד
Holocaust... Never Again.
Some people create their own storms and get upset when it rains.
--anonymous

Lodge2004

Post by Lodge2004 »

stevie_d_64 wrote:The National Rifle Association has denounced the move, which has already led one Republican senator to consider legislation aimed at ensuring a president can’t use an applicant’s gun ownership status to deny employment.
I like that idea. Many states already have a very long list of categories protected under law, below is an example from the State of New Jersey:

The New Jersey Law Against Discrimination (LAD) makes it unlawful to subject people to differential treatment based on race, creed, color, national origin, nationality, ancestry, age, sex (including pregnancy), familial status, marital status, domestic partnership status, affectional or sexual orientation, atypical hereditary cellular or blood trait, genetic information, liability for military service, and mental or physical disability, perceived disability, and AIDS and HIV status.

Although owning tools seems to be a silly thing to add, it's also silly that somebody would potentially discriminate in hiring against a person for the type of property they own. On the other hand, I am sure that it does have a role in certain types of employment. I doubt that GM would be happy with a senior executive driving to work every day in a Toyota.

Topic author
stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

Lodge2004 wrote:
stevie_d_64 wrote:The National Rifle Association has denounced the move, which has already led one Republican senator to consider legislation aimed at ensuring a president can’t use an applicant’s gun ownership status to deny employment.
I like that idea. Many states already have a very long list of categories protected under law, below is an example from the State of New Jersey:
Which in someway could be a good indicator that the incoming administration is dumber than a bag of hammers...

I fear the stupidity and tyrrany of good intentions...More like a concern, and not so much fear...It just sounds better... ;-)
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

jimlongley

Post by jimlongley »

Looks like I am protected under NJ law times three: My creed, national origin, and ancestry all involve gun ownership.

:smilelol5:
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

boomerang

Post by boomerang »

jimlongley wrote:Looks like I am protected under NJ law times three: My creed, national origin, and ancestry all involve gun ownership.
:iagree:
"Ees gun! Ees not safe!"

bradfromearth

Post by bradfromearth »

stevie_d_64 wrote:Picking up where Anygun left off...
--begin snip--

President-elect Barack Obama’s transition team is asking potential appointees detailed questions about gun ownership, and firearms advocates aren’t happy about it.

The National Rifle Association has denounced the move, which has already led one Republican senator to consider legislation aimed at ensuring a president can’t use an applicant’s gun ownership status to deny employment.

It’s just one question on a lengthy personnel form — No. 59 on a 63-question list.
--end snip--
I doubt this really has nothing to do with Guns. I think it has to do with embarrassing scandals that get dug up by opposing parties damage doing agenda. Kind of like having a housekeeper that you pay in cash and later someone discovers that she was in the country illegally. Happens all the time when appointees are not "vetted"

nitrogen

Post by nitrogen »

My wife, who is not anti-gun at all, until she married me, was CONVINCED all guns were registered in a central database, so I think it's more common of a misconception than you might think.
.השואה... לעולם לא עוד
Holocaust... Never Again.
Some people create their own storms and get upset when it rains.
--anonymous

Pete

Post by Pete »

Shush,

Let the antis think all guns are registered. Otherwise they might come up with some law requiring it.

Use thier knowledge (or ignorance) against them.

For example I was once told that assault weapons need to have strict controls over them. I explained assault weapons already do, talked a little bit about assault weapons (selective fire types) and the NFA licensing requirements.

The person said, well okay, what is all the commotion about?

I just laughed.

Dishonest, well, I do not know, maybe. When they said assualt weapons they said, "you know the miltary weapons the news says are on the streets".

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”