Should we abolish the Electoral College?

What's going on in Washington, D.C.?

Moderators: Charles L. Cotton, carlson1

User avatar

The Annoyed Man
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 25095
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:59 pm
Location: North Richland Hills, Texas
Contact:

Re: Should we abolish the Electoral College?

#16

Post by The Annoyed Man » Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:28 pm

Here’s the bottom line: if you want NY and CA to have the authority to lawfully disarm you here in Texas, then amend the Constitution to remove the Electoral College.

Not only do I NOT want to see the EC abolished, but I would very much like to see CA & NY expelled from the Union.
Give me Liberty, or I'll get up and get it myself.—Hookalakah Meshobbab
I don't carry because of the odds, I carry because of the stakes.—The Annoyed Boy
My dream is to have lived my life so well that future generations of leftists will demand my name be removed from buildings.


BigGuy
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 698
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:36 am
Contact:

Re: Should we abolish the Electoral College?

#17

Post by BigGuy » Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:52 pm

The Annoyed Man wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:28 pm
Here’s the bottom line: if you want NY and CA to have the authority to lawfully disarm you here in Texas, then amend the Constitution to remove the Electoral College.

Not only do I NOT want to see the EC abolished, but I would very much like to see CA & NY expelled from the Union.
There is a line in Tom Wolfe's "The Right Stuff." "Most military people don't think of New York as part of the United States."
I think you and he are both correct.


jason812
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 1236
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:41 pm
Location: Central Texas

Re: Should we abolish the Electoral College?

#18

Post by jason812 » Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:06 pm

Jason Todd wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:29 pm
jason812 wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:29 pm
Not only should we not abolish the electoral college, we should abolish the 17th amendment. The Senate was suppose to be the representative of the states and the house the people. Imagine if there were no 17th amendment. How many red states are there? The libs would be a permanent minority. The 17th amendment was one of the many tools used by the progressives to take over the country.
Looking at the Speakers elected by the Legislature these past ten years, I don't want them picking our US Senators.
We nearly had Irish Bob as our senator.


rotor
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 3326
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:26 pm

Re: Should we abolish the Electoral College?

#19

Post by rotor » Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:22 pm

In actuality it won't make any difference. The Democrats basic plan is to massively increase the Hispanic population knowing they tend to vote Democratic and eventually they will take control anyway. 12 million illegals here now (perhaps more) and their born in the USA children (they are prolific) will almost certainly vote democratic.

My vote is for a Kingdom and I want to pick the king. Y'all would like my choice.


LTUME1978
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 356
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:25 pm
Location: Alvin, TX

Re: Should we abolish the Electoral College?

#20

Post by LTUME1978 » Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:02 pm

TAM,

My knowledge of CA is limited but my experiences in traveling to the small towns and rural areas of Upstate NY tell me that the Upstate part of NY is much like the conservative side of Texas. They would very much like to see New York City float off into the Atlantic Ocean and disappear forever.

The large cities are our problem. Liberals congregate there where they all think they know better how to live life and rule the "troglodytes" of the rest of the country. Our Founding Fathers worried that some day the people of this country would congregate in large cities as they had in Europe. Their concerns have come to pass.

User avatar

Oldgringo
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 11043
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:15 pm
Location: Pineywoods of east Texas

Re: Should we abolish the Electoral College?

#21

Post by Oldgringo » Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:59 pm

The Annoyed Man wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:28 pm
Here’s the bottom line: if you want NY and CA to have the authority to lawfully disarm you here in Texas, then amend the Constitution to remove the Electoral College.

Not only do I NOT want to see the EC abolished, but I would very much like to see CA & NY expelled from the Union.
:iagree: Expel the entire left coast and Austin, TX.

User avatar

Rancid Crabtree
Junior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri May 31, 2019 10:48 am

Re: Should we abolish the Electoral College?

#22

Post by Rancid Crabtree » Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:18 pm

I saw this rear its ugly head in the headlines this week. As many have mentioned the elimination of the Electoral College (EC) has been a rallying cry of the left for about two decades now. I’m glad bblhd672 mentioned the National Popular Vote Interstate Compact in this thread, a cynical attempt by the left to remove the Electoral College. This National Popular Vote Interstate Compact is making it’s way through state legislatures with varying degrees of success. My opinion is it’s nothing more than a leftist scheme to destroy the Electoral College without having to go through the Amendment process.
As to…exercises, I advise the gun…it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks. Thomas Jefferson

User avatar

anygunanywhere
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 7348
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2005 9:16 am
Location: La Grange, Texas

Re: Should we abolish the Electoral College?

#23

Post by anygunanywhere » Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:36 pm

I expect this might be a trigger for CW2.
"America is like a healthy body and its resistance is threefold: Its patriotism, Its morality, and its spiritual life. If we can undermine these three areas, America will collapse from within." Joseph Stalin


crazy2medic
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 1604
Joined: Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:59 am

Re: Should we abolish the Electoral College?

#24

Post by crazy2medic » Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:06 pm

No State shall, without the Consent of Congress, lay any Duty of Tonnage, keep Troops, or Ships of War in time of Peace, enter into any Agreement or Compact with another State, or with a foreign Power, or engage in War, unless actually invaded, or in such imminent Danger as will not admit of delay
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention

User avatar

anygunanywhere
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 7348
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2005 9:16 am
Location: La Grange, Texas

Re: Should we abolish the Electoral College?

#25

Post by anygunanywhere » Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:18 pm

crazy2medic wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:06 pm
No State shall, without the Consent of Congress, lay any Duty of Tonnage, keep Troops, or Ships of War in time of Peace, enter into any Agreement or Compact with another State, or with a foreign Power, or engage in War, unless actually invaded, or in such imminent Danger as will not admit of delay
Of course. The Constitution. Why didn’t I think of that. The ultimate law of the land. No one would dare do anything counter to the Constitution or BOR. They could never get away with it SCOTUS would slap the effort down especially with all of the conservative judges Trump added. And you can’t forget about that stalwart Justice Roberts.
"America is like a healthy body and its resistance is threefold: Its patriotism, Its morality, and its spiritual life. If we can undermine these three areas, America will collapse from within." Joseph Stalin

User avatar

The Annoyed Man
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 25095
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:59 pm
Location: North Richland Hills, Texas
Contact:

Re: Should we abolish the Electoral College?

#26

Post by The Annoyed Man » Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:03 pm

Rancid Crabtree wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:18 pm
I saw this rear its ugly head in the headlines this week. As many have mentioned the elimination of the Electoral College (EC) has been a rallying cry of the left for about two decades now. I’m glad bblhd672 mentioned the National Popular Vote Interstate Compact in this thread, a cynical attempt by the left to remove the Electoral College. This National Popular Vote Interstate Compact is making it’s way through state legislatures with varying degrees of success. My opinion is it’s nothing more than a leftist scheme to destroy the Electoral College without having to go through the Amendment process.
It's notable that Nevada's democrat governor vetoed their "popular vote" bill which would commit their electoral votes to whomever won the popular vote. He rightly said that Nevada's electoral votes represented Nevada's sovereignty as a state, and that he wouldn't allow the state to commit to a plan that would let other states dictate how Nevada's electoral votes would be allocated.

Story here: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/nevada-gov ... ular-vote/
Give me Liberty, or I'll get up and get it myself.—Hookalakah Meshobbab
I don't carry because of the odds, I carry because of the stakes.—The Annoyed Boy
My dream is to have lived my life so well that future generations of leftists will demand my name be removed from buildings.

User avatar

Rancid Crabtree
Junior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri May 31, 2019 10:48 am

Re: Should we abolish the Electoral College?

#27

Post by Rancid Crabtree » Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:09 pm

The Annoyed Man wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:03 pm
Rancid Crabtree wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:18 pm
I saw this rear its ugly head in the headlines this week. As many have mentioned the elimination of the Electoral College (EC) has been a rallying cry of the left for about two decades now. I’m glad bblhd672 mentioned the National Popular Vote Interstate Compact in this thread, a cynical attempt by the left to remove the Electoral College. This National Popular Vote Interstate Compact is making it’s way through state legislatures with varying degrees of success. My opinion is it’s nothing more than a leftist scheme to destroy the Electoral College without having to go through the Amendment process.
It's notable that Nevada's democrat governor vetoed their "popular vote" bill which would commit their electoral votes to whomever won the popular vote. He rightly said that Nevada's electoral votes represented Nevada's sovereignty as a state, and that he wouldn't allow the state to commit to a plan that would let other states dictate how Nevada's electoral votes would be allocated.

Story here: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/nevada-gov ... ular-vote/
That’s very encouraging; I'm glad to see that he is clear-eyed about it despite the misinformation about its purpose. I'm hoping that more of our elected officials will look at this the same way. Here was the bill introduced in 2017 in Texas by Reps Ina Minjarez and Rep Celia Israel in 2017:
https://capitol.texas.gov/BillLookup/Hi ... Bill=HB496

I think it's still sitting in committee, which hopefully means the circular file. I imagine there's going to be a pretty big push to jam this through the various state before the next election. Hopefully, it will get defeated state by state.
As to…exercises, I advise the gun…it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks. Thomas Jefferson

Post Reply

Return to “Federal”