Killeen Newspaper Poll

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
AF-Odin
Posts in topic: 4

Killeen Newspaper Poll

Post by AF-Odin »

Killeen Daily Herald has a poll on Universal background checks. kdhnews.com.
AF-Odin
Texas LTC, SSC & FRC Instructor
NRA Pistol, Home Firearms Safety, Personal Protection in the Home Instructor & RSO
NRA & TSRA Life Member

srothstein
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Killeen Newspaper Poll

Post by srothstein »

Answers as of right now:

22.9% 1. Yes. They would help to keep guns out of the hands of people who shouldn’t have them.
16.7% 2. Yes. It’s an imperfect measure, but something must be done to curb gun deaths.
29.2% 3. No. The checks would be both costly and ineffective in curbing illegal access to guns.
25.0% 4. No. Universal checks would only serve to punish those to obtain guns legally.
6.3% 5. Unsure. It’s hard to say whether it’s a good idea without knowing all the details.
Steve Rothstein

flintknapper
Banned
Posts in topic: 5

Post by flintknapper »

https://www.gao.gov/assets/700/694290.pdf

ATF Referred about 13,000 Firearms Denials to Its Field Divisions for Investigation in Fiscal Year
2017, of Which USAOs Have Prosecuted 12 Cases.

Yep a whole twelve!

Might not hurt to tighten things up a little in this case.

Different than 'expanding' background checks....I understand. I am NOT for that, but it wouldn't hurt things to vigorously ENFORCE some of the gun laws we already have in place.
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 9

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

flintknapper wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:56 pm https://www.gao.gov/assets/700/694290.pdf

ATF Referred about 13,000 Firearms Denials to Its Field Divisions for Investigation in Fiscal Year

Yep a whole twelve!

Different than 'expanding' background checks....I understand. I am NOT for that, but it wouldn't hurt things to vigorously ENFORCE some of the gun laws we already have in place.
That is just unacceptable. Then the politicians say we need more laws that won't be enforced. Maybe less donuts and more enforcement work is in order.

Topic author
AF-Odin

Post by AF-Odin »

As of 7:30PM Sunday night, poll is 56.9% against background checks, 37.9 for, and 5.2 Unsure, would depend on specifics. Currently very small sample size.
AF-Odin
NRA Pistol, Home Firearms Safety, Personal Protection in the Home Instructor & RSO
NRA & TSRA Life Member

03Lightningrocks

AF-Odin wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:31 pm As of 7:30PM Sunday night, poll is 56.9% against background checks, 37.9 for, and 5.2 Unsure, would depend on specifics. Currently very small sample size.
I wonder how many of the 37.9 don't realize there is already a background check?

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Oldgringo »

flintknapper wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:56 pm https://www.gao.gov/assets/700/694290.pdf

Yep a whole twelve!

YES! :iagree:

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:59 pm
AF-Odin wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:31 pm As of 7:30PM Sunday night, poll is 56.9% against background checks, 37.9 for, and 5.2 Unsure, would depend on specifics. Currently very small sample size.
I wonder how many of the 37.9 don't realize there is already a background check?
Although I'm one to wear out the Tracking Notice and wait anxiously for the delivery vehicle, I don't think I'd oppose a 3-day waiting period IF a true background check was made, would you? Granted, criminals by definition are still criminals, but there are a lot of loonies loose on our streets and in our 'hoods. Just watch CNN and MSNBC for examples thereof.

After all folks, this is 2019AD and it ain't 'your father's Oldsmobile'.

03Lightningrocks

Oldgringo wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:34 pm
Although I'm one to wear out the Tracking Notice and wait anxiously for the delivery vehicle, I don't think I'd oppose a 3-day waiting period IF a true background check was made, would you? Granted, criminals by definition are still criminals, but there are a lot of loonies loose on our streets and in our 'hoods. Just watch CNN and MSNBC for examples thereof.

I would hate a 3 day period if I needed a gun for self defense right away.

apostate
Posts in topic: 1

Post by apostate »

Good point about the Oldsmobile, considering the number of Americans killed and injured by car violence.

I'll support a background check and a waiting period for 2A rights as long as the same background check and waiting period applies to buying a car, or a smart phone or computer for that matter. Internet hate speech, donchaknow.

The same background check should be conducted before somebody can vote, run for office, receive government benefits (including tax credits or ACA subsidy) or get married and have children. Nobody would object to those "reasonable restrictions" would they?

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:51 pm

If one needed a gun for self-defense "right away", shouldn't one have already screamed, locked the doors, picked up a cudgel of some sort, and called 911? If the evildoers are already on the premises, it's a little late to run down to the local gun store. :mrgreen:

Be Prepared!
{who says that?}

Topic author
AF-Odin

Post by AF-Odin »

Hey folks, we are going DOWN in numbers against background checks. Need to go to kdhnews.com and go down to about the middle of the page on the right side and vote.
AF-Odin
NRA & TSRA Life Member

03Lightningrocks

Oldgringo wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:07 pm
03Lightningrocks wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:51 pm

If one needed a gun for self-defense "right away", shouldn't one have already screamed, locked the doors, picked up a cudgel of some sort, and called 911? If the evildoers are already on the premises, it's a little late to run down to the local gun store. :mrgreen:

Be Prepared!
{who says that?}
Many assaults are by people known by the victim. It isn't always a stranger suddenly popping up in ones life. Finding out ones life is in danger and wanting to get a firearm for self defense immediately happens more than many think.

Secondly, there is nothing to be gained by giving an extra three days to wait. Criminal background checks are instant. Mass shooters don't get weapons because the criminal background check failed. Making a person wait 3 days just doesn't seem to have any purpose.

DynamicDan
Posts in topic: 3

Post by DynamicDan »

No waiting periods. Period

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

DynamicDan wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:20 pm No waiting periods. Period
Right on, Bro!

Have the gun/s, the ammo, and the resolve to use them before the danger appears. If we do that, the waiting period is inconsequential.

The Gun Store, regardless of any background checks, ain't gonna' be open when you really, really need a gun and some bullets!

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”